Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

phantom grip lsd

Old 03-20-2003, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 accent L

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif Yay, lets go on a magical journey to off-topic land! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Frankly I've heard good and bad things about the phantom grip. I dont care who uses them on which race car/series, which magazine is pimping them, or what have you.

Key, thank you for coming over and clarifying that your team has used all three diffs. Isnt that special. Now, can you tell me if there was a reason why you switched midseason from the PG to the Quaife if the PG was "working great"? And why arent you using the Kaaz unit or even the OE Nissan LSD thats supposed to fit the V6 6speed tranny? That would be better than having to read your dissection of Random's and others posts and your poor attempt at flaming.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:52 AM

Wow! All of a sudden I feel like being in Baghdad just reading this thread...

I think Onpol has the best "answer". Hyundai 5 spd tranny are really worth nothing. Don't you remember the guys (FxTreme days) who started building up their engines and then, the main problem they encountered? Yup, the tranny. They are made out of cardboard and duct tape....litterally.

Having installed some Phantom Grip myself on some 6 speeds, I can say that the PG themselves are pretty though and don't put that much stress on the tranny. I never had a problem, besides having to put stronger springs on the device because it was slipping.

They only downside I would say about the PG is that they are far from being a "TRUE" LSD (such as a KAAZ ou Quaiffe). They respond differently, are harder tu fine-tune (finding the right springs for your application) and at a certain horsepower level, they will slip badly. But hey, you get what you pay for. Again, this was on mildly modded NA cars.

I think the main issue is really trying to find a way to fix that diff pin problem in the 5spd.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:20 PM

random (or mods), i'm suprised you haven't closed this thread yet. the mods are usually on top of threads that get out of control. hmph
Old 03-20-2003, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

skierd:
Key, thank you for coming over and clarifying that your team has used all three diffs. Isnt that special. Now, can you tell me if there was a reason why you switched midseason from the PG to the Quaife if the PG was "working great"?
I'll post here the same thing I did at NewTiburon.com

Sure, they upgraded to a Quaife unit. Uh...wouldn't you? If you are a race team, who's purpose in life is WIN RACES and promote your brand and sponsors brand, wouldn't you switch?

I don't think ANYONE is going to aruge that the Quaife unit is more effective than the PG. I don't think anyone is going to aruge that the Quaife unit is more desireable in a race situation where every bit of traction is needed.

So why are you busting them for making the switch? It makes SENSE for them to make the switch!!!
Old 03-20-2003, 01:46 PM

poke this is my post!! lol no fighting!!
Old 03-20-2003, 03:57 PM

topic locked for being pointless and having an argument that ranks with those of electric turbos...

rolleyes.gif