Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

phantom grip lsd

Old 03-12-2003, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default phantom grip lsd

has anyone ever heard anything good/bad about these kits? on importshark, it says they sell for 325-370. the kaaz kit sells for almost 1000.
let me know.
thanks
Old 03-12-2003, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

it's bad. Real bad. Only person to use it keep schredding/breaking differentials.
Stay away.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:04 AM

Who's shredding his differential using a Phantom Grip? I personally think that it whould be good to about ~220whp. But then again, I have one on my desktop that's just waiting to be installed, so I may be biaised smile.gif In any case, I'll install it this spring and let you know how it turns out.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:16 AM

everything i've read about the phantom grip, not just on hyundai boards, too, says it's a pos. i'd stay away from it, save up, and get a kaaz or quaiffe, but from what i understand, quaiffe is the best.

[ March 12, 2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: turbulence ]
Old 03-12-2003, 07:40 AM

Well, I'll give you better than opinions this spring; I'll give you FACTS. I also have a friend with a 2L Accent (swapped the Beta) that will probably use it this spring/summer; so we'll let you know.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:42 AM

Sorry guys but i can't say that it's a POS since the guy i know, mike, (who is an owner of a local performance shop) who drag races his N/A Integra uses a phantom grip and hasn't had any problems. His car runs low 12's and uses stock internals in his tranny besides the phantom grip. He's also installed a few in cars besides his for customers in the shop, one was in a mazda miata. So far these people love it and haven't had problems and for the record mike has had his for 2 years. I don't see what the problem is besides our diff.s giving out over 220+ hp. With the engine in n/a trim, i would suspect nothing but great results.

And i'm suprised Random that you would say something like that. Usually you wouldn't bias something good or bad unless you've personally experienced it (used it/installed it/have it on your car) or just specifically relay someone elses findings and consider the source. frown
Old 03-12-2003, 12:05 PM

i really wish someone was able to give me a straight up yes or no lol...
as for power numbers, im hoping for about 240 or so wheel, but i dont know if ill make it.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, we did give you a stright up yes or no. The Phantom Grip sucks. Look at it this way, some people say that electric superchargers work. We've bought them and tried them. They don't. Random spoke from the experience of this forum. A few folks have gotten the Phantom POS and tried it. It tore apart and took the diff with it. Do a search in the forums and you'll see all about it. We can all say that one person ran a 8 second 1/4 mile with their stock Excel, but those that have tried know the truth. There's a reason it's cheaper in price and that you don't hear of many people with them.

They suck. Sorry. If it was that good, everyone would be going for that instead of getting in on the other LSD GB going on.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:54 PM

lsd gb???? wheres that?
Old 03-13-2003, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

ONLY1DB:
lsd gb???? wheres that?
In the group buy forum!
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.com/cgi-bin/...c;f=35;t=000009

In regards to the Phantom Grip. We've had one member here (Onpol) try the Phantom Grip. After blowing 3 differentials (one while normal driving with no boost), he removed it. They all died with under 250WHP.

Also, if you read Club Si, you'll find many members there have had differential problems after installing a phantom grip. You'll find the same on the DSM boards.

Sure, it's possible that there's people out there with phantom grip's that actually like them, and haven't had problems yet, but from what I've read/seen, they destroy the differential in about 50%-75% of the cars in under 1 year. That's just not a product I can reccomend.

When you consider the cost of the Phantom Grip, and the cost to replace just ONE blown tranny, then a REAL LSD (Kaaz or Quaife) becomes a good deal.