Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

How much power can the stock beta trannys take?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Accent
Default How much power can the stock beta trannys take?

I thought it was discussed here at one point but I cant find the thread no matter how much I search.

How much power can the stock beta tranny's handle, with the exception of an aftermarket clutch and flywheel. Do the stock gears hold up pretty well to high boost and power levels or are they like glass and shatter easily?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The beta trans is made of bubble gum, wet dreams, and circus peanuts. I'm on my 5th or 6th I lost count sonewhere.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's only because you fail at transmissions. I seem to not hear much complaint from people in the 400+HP range at all. The crank shaft is said to be good for 600HP and the threads I see making claims like this don't all have "except the transmission will explode" in them.

Avoid wheelhop and bad roads, and don't dump the clutch too bad, and the voices in my head tell me you're good to 500+, easy.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:15 PM

Lol that's cuz its become so routine that we just don't care anymore

Viper had like 4, jongtr had like 3, Tim blew up 5 iirc

Hell onpol and denis have gone through a few

Batlord, sunshine racer 20, jaws, yamaha, among others have blown up trans before

Just cuz they don't post much any more doesn't mean the history isn't there

Now run along and when you make more than 120hp you'll join the club one day
Old 01-10-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

Tiburon Blanco is using Alpha tranny in his 460+ HP GK Tiburon! I will explon but they hold for some time.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

faith, if I cared to make 120+WHP enough to spend money on it, I'd go for something with 120+c.i.d. under the hood, or something with forced induction from the factory, or both. A CRX with a V8 would be spiffing, for example.

Just because you can't pull off two launches in a row back-to-back without making differential shrapnel, doesn't mean the gearboxes are weak.

ETA: that this discussion is even underway is a testament to the engineers in Korea. A moderate degree of reliability after a 200% power add in something that spins 7kRPM is pretty impressive.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 AM

Hmm never blew a diff at launch before, boost didn't start kicking in until 3800 or so, lag is your friend

I have, however, had third gear strip off twice and pieces jam up in the diff causing it splode before

2 transmissions due to a exploding clutch

1 due to a quick lube place putting atf instead of gear oil

1 blown 5th gear after hitting the nitrous on the freeway goin 100+

And the fact that youre goin off of hearsay instead of actual real world experience just goes to show that no one should even pay attention to what the hell your sayin

200% of 110ft/lbs is now magically 500 now? Maybe you should've actually read your math book instead of using it as firewood

I just posted up at least half a dozen people who have blown transmissions, most of which have blown 3rd or 5th gear at least once, and your still sayin the trans will RELIABLY hold a lot of HP

In the famous words of snoop dogg

"b*tch please"
Old 01-12-2011, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

HMMMmmmmmmmm Faith has -1 Rep, Stocker 8

So which one do I choose to take at face value?

I would like to qualify a few things anyway:

First of all the most frequent transmission problem in the manuals that I have seen in various the forums is Diff failure/combustion.

Second, even if the Trans does detonate at high power, if you're not racing it around every day and drive like a sane human-being a manual trans should last a good amount of time.

Even if the trans does blow on a track day, they are comparatively cheap to come by (consider the one for my Caprice was well over 1K and the 968 model I put in the Porsche was ahead of 5k). On top of this they are some of the easier transmissions, at least that I have worked, on to swap.

:soapbox:

And my final point, this is all assuming we're talking about a manual because the auto won't even hold up under stock power D:
Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

^^^^ Yea, we know Faith aint got Rep, he is likes it that way, and I am on Trans 3. Finally did beta 2 swap, and for me it has been one 3rd gear teeth pulled right off the gear, and the first one is fixable, just grinds Synchros and chewed up from launching and hard shifts. Yet now i put some money into this trans to help keep if running a bit, just heavy synch's and hardened gear 1-4 have been heat treated and shot peened.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

Beta 3 swap?