Site News, Suggestions, & Bugs Please post all suggestions, issues & bugs you have with the site here. Hyundai Aftermarket.org News will be posted here as well. Thanks....

Slooooow Website

Old 04-29-2009, 12:37 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

When that indicator at the bottom, which Visionz installed, states it took more then .5 seconds to access the information, that's when I start wondering about the state of the server. Then I start looking at members online, if we've got 70 members online including guests, that slows the site down. Sometimes it clears up on it's own. There are other sites sharing the same server as this one.

If RED ZMAN is online, I wait until he gets off and check again. Sometimes RED ZMAN and MajikTib do things in the control panel which really bog down the website. I'm sure they don't realize it, but there's something in the Admin CP that takes alot of processor power. I just know that when REDZ mentions Admin CP, I can expect a temporary slow down.

Sometimes it's just my own internet. Google has a very reliable server. If it takes MyGoogle too long to load, then it's just me.

The site is taking less then .2 seconds to load, so I know it's doing it's job. It may have a slow connection to the backbone though.

Visionz, have you ever considered hosting the site? We are being hosted on a HighPCS server right now. They serve alot of other websites. Our space is limited. I know you have a dedicated server for the HA.org site. That could speed up load times considerably assuming you have a strong backbone connection.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Right now the typical page is taking .09 seconds to load for me. I really don't think comparing the site load times to googles load times is a good indicator of this sites performance. How much money do they have for servers and connections? haha.gif
Old 04-29-2009, 12:47 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I use googlefor that reason! It's a good test control subject to see if it's me or the site. You know google will be fast.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

To quote one post in here for a reply it took...

0.1425 sec -- 14 queries

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DTN @ Apr 29 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If RED ZMAN is online, I wait until he gets off and check again. Sometimes RED ZMAN and MajikTib do things in the control panel which really bog down the website. I'm sure they don't realize it, but there's something in the Admin CP that takes alot of processor power. I just know that when REDZ mentions Admin CP, I can expect a temporary slow down.</div>

That must not be often, because I'm pretty rarely in there. Maybe once or twice a week, unless we are doing upgrades.

I don't know what to mess with in there, so unless it's member related, I'm not in there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Visionz, have you ever considered hosting the site? We are being hosted on a HighPCS server right now. They serve alot of other websites. Our space is limited. I know you have a dedicated server for the HA.org site. That could speed up load times considerably assuming you have a strong backbone connection.</div>

We are on HighPCS because it is Supercow's server, and he's donated the space and bandwith to us. He's been the most reliable server we've been on, and a fantastic supporter of the site. I don't know what Visionz runs or what he could offer if he wants to, but that's a subject for our private forums.

Otherwise, the site was pretty slow for a few days for me, taking up to 20 seconds for some pages to finish loading, both at work at at UNM. It sped back up today, but replying to this post was a bit slower. it says .14 seconds, but it took it more than 8 seconds to load up far enough for me to be able to see the reply box.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Here's something you guys need to remember also. If the site is slow for some people, and not everyone....or if there are periodic times where it slow and fast...then its not the site. Its either the server thats doing something, or its your internet connection.

If 100% of the time, it was slow for 100% of the people...then yes...it would be an issue with the forum.

As for my hosting...I pay alot of money each year for a really high end dedicated server, because HA has alot of resources, alot of content, and alot of members that are on the site at any given time. RDT is fine with a shared hosting and I'm pretty sure they dont need to upgrade from where they are now.

Also, please keep in mind that the forums SQL queries will jump from time to time depending on what automated tasks are running behind the scenes. If the forum seems to be using alot of queries, you can click on them at the bottom of the screen, and the forum will debug itself and go back down to the normal set of queries it needs to run effectively.