Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Dyno On Headers

Old 04-19-2006, 03:40 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i dunno, but without dyno results, can anyone proove performance gains from a header? It's $350 for a cheap header. It's what, $99 for 3 runs on a dyno?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We don't even have dyno runs for headers, any runs for any headers, and you are asking to have them with two full cycles... laugh.gif My bet is there will be none, as there was none of any header alone.
Besides... it's almost useless two have the meassure for the header alone, because chances are, if you are investing money on a header, you already invested on a CAI (and if you didn't, you WILL want to) so, the dyno runs are usefull to compare the output of your own car with your own mods only.

Now, the advice of doing any run AFTER you reseted your ECU is something we all should have present at any dyno run.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:15 PM

Braker dynoed the GT Headers off KSpec before and after, had great gains, I believe about 10whp, really good gains in midrange. I felt a nice pickup in low/mid range with mine as well. Blacktibs got 15whp before/after with the Apexi exhaust/1.8L semi-header, although dynoed on different days, and the graphs were non SAE corrected I believe.

I feel no difference when I reset my ECU, and I'm not inclined to floor my car WOT after just resetting the computer anyway, even though I've read all about the Short term fuel trim/long term fuel trim concepts.

Full exhaust is not a modification thats meant to get high horsepower to begin with.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homey14h @ Apr 19 2006, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>^^mad_john would still own you haha.</div>

How? 40 X 10 = 400. 400 + 130 stock WHP = 530. Mad doesn't have that much. I'll smoke him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Apr 19 2006, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>don't be rediculous... The emissions/engine control unit adapts it's output to run clean. after it adapts there's some horse power loss. that's how every mod claims 10-15 HP gains. If each mod actually did give that much HP then people would be running 300HP on NA mods from stuff on ebay.
results?</div>

Uhm, dude, I think you've been xraying yourself too much lately. I've not seen many mods at all that claim 10 to 15 WHP. I've not seen maybe 1 or 2 that say you should even reset your ECU.

Regardless, gains dont' "ADD UP" like that, one mod can take away some of the gain you got elsewhere, others could amplify it.

MOST of the folks here probably installed their headers without a ECU reset.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tanc @ Apr 19 2006, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Please educate yourself on the matter first before you state rediculous comments on a ECU reset.

If you have a dyno vid to prove resetting ECU will give YOU 10whp, I'm going to follow Jeremy's advice and reset my ECU everyday.</div>

Word.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Apr 19 2006, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>i dunno, but without dyno results, can anyone proove performance gains from a header? It's $350 for a cheap header. It's what, $99 for 3 runs on a dyno?</div>

Can anyone prove performance gains?

YES.

How about 1/4 mile times? That proves it. How about headers for other cars, DYNO'd. That proves they work better. How about common sence and design comprehension? That proves it. We all know that High Flow cats mean more power than a OEM cat. Do we need to dyno it to prove that? No. It's been done before. No need to reinvent the wheel with every mod you do.

As said before. The Koreans don't bother posting up dyno's of their parts. Why? Because everyone in Korea INTERESTED has been around those parts and knows first hand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead @ Apr 19 2006, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Braker dynoed the GT Headers off KSpec before and after, had great gains, I believe about 10whp, really good gains in midrange. I felt a nice pickup in low/mid range with mine as well. Blacktibs got 15whp before/after with the Apexi exhaust/1.8L semi-header, although dynoed on different days, and the graphs were non SAE corrected I believe.</div>

Some guy from Elantra XD did too. Had very good gains.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I feel no difference when I reset my ECU, and I'm not inclined to floor my car WOT after just resetting the computer anyway, even though I've read all about the Short term fuel trim/long term fuel trim concepts.</div>

I don't either. Only if I had something wrong and that cleared it.

BTW, I don't belive I ever said you should reset your ECU once a month. If I did, it was retarded.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:09 PM
DTN

hamhead: by full exhaust did you mean headers/catback?<a href="http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=75&view=findpost&p=79080" target="_blank">
</a>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'> I don't belive I ever said you should reset your ECU once a month. If I did, it was retarded.<a href="http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=75&view=findpost&p=79080" target="_blank"></div>
</a>http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?s=&show...indpost&p=79080
I interperated this to mean it should be done once a month... unless you meant you have a problem once a month?
I have no CEL and I notice performance gains when resetting my ECU. Especially from cold&dry weather to hot&humid weather. I'm just trying to carefully consider my next mod. If all i'm going to see out of headers is a loud noise from my engine, it dosn't make much sence and i should hold off until i have enough money for a turbo/super.

Lots of mods which give <u>"lots of horsepower"</u> on ebay. You can see that there is alot of junk out there that dosn't work, most of the HP gains are right around 10-15 average ( i didn't include the lower then 10HP ones).

Vortex = 20% hp http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HP-MPG-Hyun...sspagenameZWDVW

"power chip" = 20 HP http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hyundai-Tib...sspagenameZWDVW

muffler = + 15 HP http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2X-HKS-DRAG...sspagenameZWDVW

tuner dial= + 22HP http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/22-HP-Progr...sspagenameZWD1V

spark increase chip = +40 HP http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THOMAS-RACI...sspagenameZWDVW

Make sure you put on the vortex last because then you get all that extra horse power multiplied by 20% heheh.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:31 PM

Ye, full exhaust to an extent. The 1.8L "semi-header" is a the stock header off the 1.8L Beta1, has a similar design to aftermarket headers, although not stainless steel and as thick.

As for the muffler +22hp, etc, thats EBAY junk, doesn't count LOL. Actual mods (AEM CAI, etc.) claim 8whp gains @ 6000RPM, only mod I've seen claim over 10 is the Air-Ram, which claims 10-20 for N/A (wheel or crank HP, I dunno).
Old 04-19-2006, 08:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

All of those mods you listed are BS. Everyone here knows it, and there is a thread about it.

As for resetting once a month, I was referring to during Modifications. I know for quite some time I was doing something to my car every few weeks, I always was resetting it.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:25 PM
DTN

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>All of those mods you listed are BS. Everyone here knows it, and there is a thread about it.</div>

I know that. I'm wondering if a header alone would be just as much BS as these mods. I know that a header will make a more smooth 180 transition from exhaust ports to muffler. From what I've seen, most gains are seen from removing catalytic converters, resonators and muffler upgrades. Headers are expensive. That's 1/4 price of a turbo, or more then 1/3 price of a Ebay turbo. How can a header possibly benefeit me $350 worth if i've still got to pay another $300 for a catback?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:07 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Boosting your car will cost you between 4-6000$ depending on what gains you are looking to achieve. That price is with tuning. Headers arn't even 1/15th the cost of a turbo.

The purpose of headers is to reduce back pressure. During exhaust stroke, an engine looses power through back pressure. The exhaust valve opens at the beginning of the exhaust stroke, and then the piston pushes the exhaust gases out of the cylinder. If there is any amount of resistance that the piston has to push against to force the exhaust gases out, power is wasted.

Companies spend valuable time and money in research and development of their headers or else no one would buy aftermarket headers if there wasn't much improvement over stock. The idea behind an exhaust header is to eliminate the manifold's back pressure. Instead of a common manifold that all of the cylinders share, each cylinder gets its own exhaust pipe. These pipes come together in a larger pipe called the collector. The individual pipes are cut and bent so that each one is the same length as the others. By making them the same length, it guarantees that each cylinder's exhaust gases arrive in the collector spaced out equally so there is no back pressure generated by the cylinders sharing the collector.

There, maybe now you'll be a bit more educated to make your own decission. If you plan down the near future to boost, than forget spending money on NA mods. Buy a header from importshark, I believe its 250 shipped? It's what I have and it showed results on a G-tech which is %1 +/-. I had the semi header that some stock tibs have.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

oh yea.. woo hoo for 1.8 semi header...
for those who never saw one..