Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Shooting outside Empire State Building

Old 08-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Shooting outside Empire State Building

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/24...tate-building/

As many as five people were shot Friday in front of the Empire State Building in New York, a spokesman for the New York Fire Department said.

Authorities converged on the building around 9 a.m. after reports of gunfire.

Additional details were not immediately available.

A friend of mine who lives in NYC is actually in Manhatten right now. He said there's actually up to 8 people who were shot, and 2 are dead. The world is going to hell and back.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

...this crap happens every day. It's just in a popular place (or in the case of the CO shooting, a lot of people) and that's why it makes national news. Not saying this crap shouldn't stop, but I don't see a way *to* stop it. If not a gun, he'll use a knife; if not a knife, he'll use a bat; if not a bat...
Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^Precisely my thoughts. Although the availability of firearms make it a lot easier for crime to sprawl. Most criminals are youth. 10 years ago, they were babies.

During communism it was impossible to get your hands on firearms therefore there was hardly any crime. Just about the only crimes were done by the government itself.

That's not to say I supoport communism lol, but that's essentially what it is. There are good and bad things within communism just as there are good and bad things within capitalism.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe
^Precisely my thoughts. Although the availability of firearms make it a lot easier for crime to sprawl. Most criminals are youth. 10 years ago, they were babies.

During communism it was impossible to get your hands on firearms therefore there was hardly any crime. Just about the only crimes were done by the government itself.

during communism the news didnt report stuff like this, they went with the big scary nuke stories and stories of how awesome and prosperous communism is

shortly after slavery ended there was MASS MASS MASS lynchings in the south done to black people and black supporters, news rarely reported it, and history has sorta forgot about that part THOUSANDS of people died without a single shot being fired, doesnt really have to do with communism, more to show that people will kill people for any reason and it doesnt really have to be with guns or the government

then there was this nice guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Chikatilo
Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Originally Posted by 03-accent-03
If not a gun, he'll use a knife; if not a knife, he'll use a bat; if not a bat...

Do you REALLY believe that? This argument is so ridiculous, I don't think anybody who has two neurons can actually believe it. How many people get wounded due to bat "crossfire" lol? If you go into a theater how many people will you get to kill with a f*cking bat vs an automatic rifle?! By your logic, we could be selling atomic bombs in supermarkets because "if not an atomic bomb, he'll use a regular bomb; if not a regular bomb, he'll use a gun; if not a gun, he'll use a knife".

You can say that in your opinion the benefits of being able to own guns outweigh the negatives, or it conforms to some principle, or whatever, and, sure, you can have a legitimate argument about that. But who can take you seriously when you say that a gun is the same as a bat?

What seems most terrifying to me is some nut (without ties to criminal activity) being able to just go and buy guns and kill a bunch of people because he is screwed up. So I don't really understand people who are against better controls and screenings before guns are sold to people (ESPECIALLY f*cking ASSAULT RIFLES). Yeah, "professional" criminals will always be able to get guns, but I'm not really worried about those as much, as most of them don't go randomly killing a bunch of people for no apparent reason.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:28 AM

see the biggest problem i have with your rant radu is the fact that you mention assault rifles

what do you conciser a assault rifle? one with a barrel shroud and scary black paint?

pick the assault rifle:

or

in case you arent aware, those are both the same guns one just looks all scary and tactical

there is a estimated 1 gun for every person in the US

why should us responsible gun owners have to fill out paperwork, jump through hoops, and be treated like criminals cuz of the < .01% of people who use guns to commit a crime

how about we toss in breathilizers into every single vehicle in the us to prevent people from driving drunk. drunk driving kills just as many people in this country as gun violence does so why dont we force you to install this equipment in your vehicle in case you go crazy and decide to drive drunk

or even more similar, make you sign a form each time you buy beer, then call it in and make sure the us government says its ok for you to buy beer

you never know, if you bought 3 cases of beer you are probably going to drive drunk so we gotta be safe and prevent you from buying beer
Old 08-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Radu: While the bomb argument makes a valid point, making guns illegal only makes them taboo and therefore much more desirable. Shy of getting into an amendment or designation argument, the reality exists that, honestly anyone has access to illegal weapons at any time. I've said it hundreds of time but if I wanted an illegal firearm at work I am seated within shouting distance from at least 3 people that could set me up with goodies at a moments notice. Outlawing the already legal ones will not change that in the sightless.

As to what 03-accent03 was saying, he's correct. The level of reporting is based entirely upon location. That said, it's still a tragedy.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
see the biggest problem i have with your rant radu is the fact that you mention assault rifles

what do you conciser a assault rifle? one with a barrel shroud and scary black paint?

I consider AR-15 to be an assault rifle. Anything with the capability of firing a large amount of shots in a small amount of time (more than self-defense situations would call for).

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
why should us responsible gun owners have to fill out paperwork, jump through hoops, and be treated like criminals cuz of the < .01% of people who use guns to commit a crime
Because many of the
Old 08-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

So the article is basically saying that if we outlawed firearms and every citizen turned over theirs lawfully and honestly that I would only be left with 2.319 people I could buy from..... within shouting distance...... at work no less.

Marijuana is illegal and none of us here know more that 1 person who can score a dime.

Why did this even become a debate? What happened to RIP Soandso?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:27 PM

and yet, you still have no answer for the fact that DRUNK DRIVERS KILL AS MANY PEOPLE AS GUN HOMICIDE

a mini-14 fires the same exact round as a ar-15 and fires the approx the same rounds per second, and yet, is one of the most popular hunting rifles around

i can find handguns that fire faster than a ar15, would those be considered assault pistols?

ooo if i put a bayonet at the end would that be a assault knife?

again which of those 2 rifles would YOU consider a assault rifle

fires a pistol round and uses pistol magazines

is that an assault rifle?

assault weapons were banned once with LITTLE to NO effect on gun violence, in fact after the ban was lifted, GUN VIOLENCE WENT DOWN

prove me wrong