Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Its getting a little ridiculous now I think

Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib - REVISION A
Default Its getting a little ridiculous now I think

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13536965

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A Charlotte-area flight attendant and cancer survivor says she was forced to show her prosthetic breast during a pat-down.

Cathy Bossi lives in south Charlotte and has been a flight attendant for the past 32 years, working the past 28 for U.S. Airways.

In early August Bossie was walking through security when she says she was asked to go through the new full body-scanners at Concourse "D" at Charlotte Douglas International.

She reluctantly agreed. As a 3-year breast cancer survivor she says she didn't want the added radiation through her body. But, Bossi says she did agree.

"The T.S.A. Agent told me to put my I.D. on my back," she said. "When I got out of there she said because my I.D. was on my back, I had to go to a personal screening area."

She says two female Charlotte T.S.A. agents took her to a private room and began what she calls an aggressive pat down. She says they stopped when they got around to feeling her right breast… the one where she'd had surgery.

"She put her full hand on my breast and said, 'What is this?'. And I said, 'It's my prosthesis because I've had breast cancer.' And she said, 'Well, you'll need to show me that'."

Cathy was asked to show her prosthetic breast, removing it from her bra.

"I did not take the name of the person at the time because it was just so horrific of an experience, I couldn't believe someone had done that to me. I'm a flight attendant. I was just trying to get to work."

Since then, Cathy has contacted the Legislative Affairs Team, a group through the flight attendant union. She says she wants to see a crackdown on these personal pat downs.

"There are blowers and there are dogs out there that can sniff out bombs," she says. "There's no reason to have somebody's hands touching your body parts."

A T.S.A. representative says agents aren't supposed to remove any prosthetics, but are allowed to ask to see and touch any passenger's prosthetic.

T.S.A. says it will review this matter.

I can maybe understand if this was just a regular person but this lady has been a flight attendant for many years. I think its ridiculous that TSA is getting to this point, violating people, and doing things that dont seem right. But I guess this is the price we pay for safety. Either deal with it or dont fly.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

Either deal with it or dont fly.

i haven't flown since 2002 and have no plans as of right now to fly. with the increasing price of planes, car rentals, etc... I can actually drive to wherever i need to go cheaper it seems anymore and without the added hassle of a flight being cancelled or waiting over a hour for a connecting flight.

a friend of mine went to las vegas roughly 3 years ago to shoot at the world archery festival. his target compound setup was in a TSA approved SKB hardcase. he had his bow, arrows, everything of value in there along with over 1000 in cash. when he got off the plane in las vegas he noticed the tape he placed over the TSA locks had been removed (done this to know if anyone has got into the case)so he opened it up. what he found in the end was the strings cut on his bow (for what reason we still are trying to figure out, the 1000 in cash stolen, and finally the dozen arrows he had broken into little carbon pieces.

you be the judge if that saved any time or money in flying over driving.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

TSA's new motto: You don't get on, till we get off!

Fortunately, this seems to be coming to a head. At least one airport is looking to opt for a private security firm, hopefully many will follow.

I felt that paying to be treated like a criminal was outrageous since I started flying, and haven't flown since the late 1990s . . .
Old 11-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I see the justification for properly examining prosthetics.

Yes, it's horrible and an invasion of privacy, but with people hiding items in their shoes, body cavities, and underwear, how easy would it be for someone to have "prosthetics" in their bra with a bundle of C4? Or their wooden leg? Or their _____....
Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I get that security is a must. If I'm going to be confined to a small space, launched 6 miles into the air, suspended by only thin sheets of aluminum filled with several thousand gallons of combustible fluid.... yeah. Search her breasts ( ), and for the record the amount of radiation that is emitted by these new scanners is beyond minimal. Seriously, you get a harder blast driving under high tension lines.

Granted much of this is in the delivery too.

A disgruntled "Okay, out with them." Vs a kindly "I'm sorry ma'am I am going to need to inspect your prosthesis." Is likely not going to gain much fandom. And these are working class stiffs like us too, I guarantee you the TSA staff has no kind thought of codding your nuts any more than you do some random dude with his hands all over your junk. Personally I book all my flights in the weeeee morning hours or near end of shift TSA, they tend to give less of a sh*t around that time. Hell we made it through with a full bag of razors in our luggage last time, on accident of course.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

. . . aaaaaand you proved right there that we have no justification for making a career flight attendant take off her fake b00b. If you can get straight through with a box of razors, why even bother with any of it? Not to mention the reports we see from time to time about "tests" that get guns/bombs/grenades past security. Besides which, none of the current "security" measures do jack diddly squat about an implanted device. Think about it: you're going to blow up a hundred people but you won't go so far as to shove a bit of HE up your bung? SRSLY? The current security theater is even more of a waste of time than a car alarm. You can't stop the ones who really intend harm.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Administrator

maybe the perception of security is effective considering the few major successful attacks since 9-11-2001
Old 11-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

And how many were there before 9/11 that would have been stopped by the current security measures?

The ironic bit is that the TSA was supposed to make us feel safe so we would want to fly . . . and now they are making people feel violated so they don't want to fly.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stocker
The ironic bit is that the TSA was supposed to make us feel safe so we would want to fly
I don't think the TSA's primary concern is our feelings.

I fly fairly frequently. I have over 250,000 unused frequent flyer miles (only takes 25,000 to redeem one way). I've never felt that my rights or my body were violated.