Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Equifax Hit With $70 Billion Lawsuit

Old 10-27-2017, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Which part did we agree on? The "orange emperor" or the "greedy predators" comment?

It gets even worse with the CXO's dumping their stocks before it becoming public. Hopefully the SEC investigates and hammers them.

And then Equifax only gives the affected consumers a year's worth of fraud prevention when it is a known fact that this will follow you PERMANENTLY! Besides, do you really want to hire the person that fvcked over your personal identity to now take care of your identity?

And then put a clause in the sign-up preventing you from bringing suit at a later date.

DO NOT take them up on the offer. Join a class-action lawsuit. Sure, you may only get $5 out of it when it settles, but this is the only way to hurt/punish big corporations like this.

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Yep. Sen. Warren says she's working on a bill to nullify the arbitration agreement in this case. It might actually pass if it's only for this case. It would be nice to see a law making it illegal to require binding arbitration, but I think we all know the GOP wouldn't let that pass

Which you then responded to with a personal attack against me, as usual.

Anyways, what part of this "forced" arbitration do you really have a problem with? And I mean as an individual, not the whole subject. Because it should really boil down to how it affects YOU personally. Are you suffering personally or financially with it?

I care about how things affect everyone, not just me. If you choose to only care about how things affect you, that's fine. I know which kind of people I can trust to have my back.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

These are two different scenarios which unfortunately are lumped into the same category. One is arbitration with your banks with whom you do or don't have to do financial business with. This can work itself out on its own via the free market. The other is with a monopoly holding credit bureau with whom you don't have a choice in deciding and are forced do business. I consider these companies the real predators. However, the end choices are the same. No one told these people to sign the arbitration agreement, which is why I posted NOT to do so. Your right to sue after being damaged was always there until you hit that check box and signed it away on your own free will.

This is yet again part of a bigger problem where the consumer does not read the agreement and just checks the box to get by. I bet everyone here does it. No one spends 20 minutes reading an agreement after they install a piece of software. Do we have a right to argue it over laziness? If a majority of citizens are too lazy to read an agreement, should the government step in to "protect the people"? Where does that stop? Should we ban agreements, or should the government FORCE the people to read them? Should the government compromise and FORCE companies to dumb them down to 2nd grade reading levels?

Again, I don't agree with it. It is sneaky and underhanded. Which is why I'm still "on the fence".