Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Equifax Hit With $70 Billion Lawsuit

Old 09-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Also:

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...ation-1282.php

Don't enter into an arbitration agreement with the Devil, then cry about it because he doesn't play fair. As you can see above, most reputable banks are not requiring arbitration agreements. And when they do, they are up front about it. It just so happens that one of my CC's just switched banks and sent a package that included an arbitration opt-out form. Now, I can either sign the form and send it back, or be one of the lazy mindless consumers that doesn't, then b*tches and moans when they feel cheated later.

No one FORCES you into these agreements. No one forces you to do business with a company that wants arbitration. And no one forced you to sign over your rights with Equifax. If you did, then you didn't read the print because you were LAZY and too eager to get their free sh*t.

Obviously, you want a nanny-state to protect people who feel they're always being cheated, but are really just too lazy to understand the facts of what they got themselves into. Same for those who got into the balloon loans of 2008. They knew full well what they signed and did it anyways.

Here, we agree. I read all of my contracts. I have no credit cards. I do have arbitration clauses in my cell phone terms of service and all of my utilities. They don't offer opt-outs and I don't have alternative providers available. My mortgage also has an arbitration clause, but I'd fight that if needed because my original mortgage didn't. It was added under the "we can change this contract with 30 days notice" provision.

As for the mortgages in '08. My buddy and I still laugh to this day that we both said in '06 that there was a bubble about to burst due to people overextending and loans being repackaged and sold. My own mortgage is one that got sold. I have zero sympathy for those who overextended and was against all of the bailouts. I was against the individual mortgage bailouts and the bank bailouts. I was it the "let it burn" camp.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

This just gets better and better. Our government is awesome!!!

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...ct-by-irs.html

While we're at it, let's assign the fat kid to guard the cake.

Then the stock slowly rebounding:

Capture.JPG

Old 10-05-2017, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

I actually read that they're putting it out for rebid next year. They granted the one year contract as a stop-gap until they can go through the rebid process. Yes, it's ridiculous haw slow government works.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:48 AM

Done deal. Cobra, you all packed for Canada yet?

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...tion-rule.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/24/b...tion.html?_r=0
Old 10-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

I'd load the orange emperor into a trebuchet and launch his ass into Mexico before I'd leave. So, I guess that nullifies your argument that I was making a false generalization about the GOP.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:47 AM

You see them as greedy money-hungry predators, and will probably use this vote as an example. However, this decision has no financial impact on those who are educated enough to know better.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

They are greedy predators, this vote not withstanding. Have you never seen "Wall Street"... Gordon Gecko... "greed is good"? That movie was fiction, but not fantasy.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:19 AM

No, they are individuals with their own personal beliefs. I'm on the fence regarding this decision because I can very much see BOTH sides of the issue. One side protects consumers, the other side doesn't want to see lawyers get rich and again screw the consumers with low winnings and future fees to all. Even though I'm on the fence doesn't mean I think one side is greedy because they fell to one side or the other on this issue. Both sides are right on this issue.

That's the problem with you snowflakes these days. You just can't stand that someone has a different opinion than yours.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

No, they are individuals with their own personal beliefs. I'm on the fence regarding this decision because I can very much see BOTH sides of the issue. One side protects consumers, the other side doesn't want to see lawyers get rich and again screw the consumers with low winnings and future fees to all. Even though I'm on the fence doesn't mean I think one side is greedy because they fell to one side or the other on this issue. Both sides are right on this issue.

If that's really your concern, that's simple to fix. Limit what lawyers can charge on judgments over a certain amount.

That's the problem with you snowflakes these days. You just can't stand that someone has a different opinion than yours.

Funny you say that, since my first comment here agreed with your statement and added my own info about what a Senator was doing. You're the one who then posted a contrarian opinion... Snowflake.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
If that's really your concern, that's simple to fix. Limit what lawyers can charge on judgments over a certain amount.
I agree. That's the real problem here that would make both parties happy. There is no such thing as a simple fix in Washington. No matter what the party wants, they will disagree with the other side in order to make it seem like they are "working", then brag about how they "came together in a bipartisan manner" when anything gets passed together.

Funny you say that, since my first comment here agreed with your statement and added my own info about what a Senator was doing. You're the one who then posted a contrarian opinion... Snowflake.
Which part did we agree on? The "orange emperor" or the "greedy predators" comment?

Anyways, what part of this "forced" arbitration do you really have a problem with? And I mean as an individual, not the whole subject. Because it should really boil down to how it affects YOU personally. Are you suffering personally or financially with it?