Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Equifax Hit With $70 Billion Lawsuit

Old 09-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Equifax Hit With $70 Billion Lawsuit

One day after Equifax announced (more than one month after it itself had learned) that its systems had been hacked, resulting in up to 143 million social security numbers, names, addresses, driver’s license data, birth dates, some credit card numbers and pretty much all other critical personal data being leaked and currently for sale somewhere on the dark web, the company whose job is, ironically, to protect the credit and personal information of hundreds of millions of Americans has been hit with a monster class-action lawsuit seeking as much as $70 billion.

In retrospect, we find it surprising that it wasn't multi-trillion lawsuit in light of the galactic stupidity exhibited by a company whose server apparently had zero firewalls from the internet and where any hacker could get access to the most confidential information available.

And while for the most part class action lawsuits are filed by ambulance-chasing lawyers seeking a recovery for a class of plaintiffs in exchange for a juicy 25-40% of the final amount, in this case In the complaint filed in Portland, Ore., federal court has every single merit to ultimately crush Equifax for what is nothing less than unprecedented carelessness in handling precious information.

In the lawsuit, plaintiffs alleged Equifax was negligent in failing to protect consumer data, choosing to save money instead of spending on technical safeguards that could have stopped the attack, Bloomberg reports. Imagine how much angrier they would be if they found that instead of "saving" the money, the company used it instead to buy back its own stock (in this case from selling executives).

“In an attempt to increase profits, Equifax negligently failed to maintain adequate technological safeguards to protect Ms. McHill and Mr. Reinhard’s information from unauthorized access by hackers,” the complaint stated. “Equifax knew and should have known that failure to maintain adequate technological safeguards would eventually result in a massive data breach. Equifax could have and should have substantially increased the amount of money it spent to protect against cyber-attacks but chose not to.”

The plaintiffs in the lawsuit are Mary McHill and Brook Reinhard. Both reside in Oregon and had their personal information stored by Equifax. Tens of millions more will join the lawsuit shortly once they realize their data has similarly been hacked. Readers can find out if they have been affacted by the leak at the following site.

According to Bloomberg, the case was filed by the firm Olsen Daines PC along with Geragos & Geragos, a celebrity law firm known for blockbuster class actions. Ben Meiselas, an attorney for Geragos, said the class will seek as much as $70 billion in damages nationally.

Finally, as one social media commentator put it, "In retrospect it seems like a really dumb idea to give three random companies access to the entire financial records of every American."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...curity-numbers

Like someone said in the comments, it's a bit ridiculous that there are 3 companies out there that know your entire identity and everything about you. I have credit monitoring set up now where I'll get an email or text if someone tries to open something or steal my identity but still....this is no joke and pretty ridiculous that Equifax was this careless with peoples private information.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

It gets even worse with the CXO's dumping their stocks before it becoming public. Hopefully the SEC investigates and hammers them.

And then Equifax only gives the affected consumers a year's worth of fraud prevention when it is a known fact that this will follow you PERMANENTLY! Besides, do you really want to hire the person that fvcked over your personal identity to now take care of your identity?

And then put a clause in the sign-up preventing you from bringing suit at a later date.

DO NOT take them up on the offer. Join a class-action lawsuit. Sure, you may only get $5 out of it when it settles, but this is the only way to hurt/punish big corporations like this.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by JonGTR
And then put a clause in the sign-up preventing you from bringing suit at a later date.

Yep. Sen. Warren says she's working on a bill to nullify the arbitration agreement in this case. It might actually pass if it's only for this case. It would be nice to see a law making it illegal to require binding arbitration, but I think we all know the GOP wouldn't let that pass.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:36 AM

No, we don't all know. Not everyone has an infinite hatred for the GOP like you do. They do manage to pass laws protecting the little guys, just as not all dems like to cater to and exploit minorities. Your blanket statements about political parties have no power here sir.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:51 AM

This just shows how shitty of a company they really are. And they want you to trust them even further?

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/09...ntent=FaceBook

The web site that Equifax advertised as the place where concerned Americans could go to find out whether they were impacted by this breach -- equifaxsecurity2017.com -- is completely broken at best, and little more than a stalling tactic or sham at worst. In the early hours after the breach announcement, the site was being flagged by various browsers as a phishing threat. In some cases, people visiting the site were told they were not affected, only to find they received a different answer when they checked the site with the same information on their mobile phones.

TechCrunch has concluded that "the checker site, hosted by Equifax product TrustID, seems to be telling people at random they may have been affected by the data breach." One user reports that entering the same information twice produced two different answers. And ZDNet's security editor reports that even if you just enter Test or 123456, "it says your data has been breached." TechCrunch writes:

The assignment seems random. But, nevertheless, they were still asked to continue enrolling in TrustID. What this means is not only are none of the last names tied to your Social Security number, but there's no way to tell if you were really impacted. It's clear Equifax's goal isn't to protect the consumer or bring them vital information. It's to get you to sign up for its revenue-generating product TrustID. Meanwhile, one web engineer claims the secret 10-digit "security freeze" PIN being issued by Equifax "is just a timestamp of when you made the freeze."
Old 09-11-2017, 04:47 PM
mYu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I dont see how Equifax will bounce back from this. It will pretty much crippled them. I just hope Trans Union and Experian have plugged up any holes or made sure this doesnt happen to them. But hey, if Equifax wants to give me triple A credit and wipe off all my debt, that would be pretty cool. :biggrin:
Old 09-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Equifax deserves to never bounce back from this. The security of everyone's personal data should be in their top 5 most important things, and they have repeatedly been breached. If you lose everybody's data to hackers, you go out of business, sorrynotsorry.

Somebody check my math - $70B divided by 143M affected individuals works out to less than $500 each, and of course the lawyers will take their cut, so figure $200 apiece, each. Seems totally worth it as payback for having your identity completely stolen.

(it doesn't)
Old 09-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by JonGTR
No, we don't all know. Not everyone has an infinite hatred for the GOP like you do. They do manage to pass laws protecting the little guys, just as not all dems like to cater to and exploit minorities. Your blanket statements about political parties have no power here sir.

You clearly don't know s**t about me if you think I have a hatred for the GOP. Dems aren't gonna protect my gun rights or keep illegals out. You do understand that political parties have platforms, right? These blanket statements aren't mine, they're right there, on the parties websites. Feel free to read them. Dems are pro-immigrant, pro gun control, pro-choice, pro LGBT rights, anti big-business. The GOP is anti illegal immigrant, anti gun control , pro-life, anti LGBT rights, and pro business.

The GOP has, on numerous occasions, blocked attempts to end binding arbitration clauses. It's public record...

In 2015:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/b...e.html?mcubz=0

In 2017:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...720-story.html

SCOTUS 5-4 party line decision in AT&T v. Concepcion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T..._v._Concepcion

SCOTUS 5-3 party line decision in American Express v. Italian Colors (Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who had dissented in Concepcion, recused herself because she had been involved with the case before being appointed to the Supreme Court):

http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/06/de...rs-restaurant/

Conservatives like binding arbitration. Liberals don't. Fact.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:41 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Originally Posted by Stocker
Equifax deserves to never bounce back from this. The security of everyone's personal data should be in their top 5 most important things, and they have repeatedly been breached. If you lose everybody's data to hackers, you go out of business, sorrynotsorry.

Somebody check my math - $70B divided by 143M affected individuals works out to less than $500 each, and of course the lawyers will take their cut, so figure $200 apiece, each. Seems totally worth it as payback for having your identity completely stolen.

(it doesn't)

I read last night that there are over 40 different lawsuits hitting Equifax now, including the $60 billion one. They could be looking into a trillion with all lawsuits combined when this is over with. There is no way they have that kind of money to pay and even if they have insurance policies, they wont even cover the lawsuits.

When you pay a bill, they send the information to the credit bureau's to be recorded. If those bill companies were smart, they will never deal with Equifax again and only send info to other two.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 00 Elantra

Hacks like this will always happen. No website or database is 100% private. Someone will always find a back door and a way in regardless of the security you have. It's not a matter of if this happening again, it's a matter of when.