Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Are any of you Atheist?

Old 10-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

sounds logical.
so where do you believe the root of everything started from? Do you believe it all started with a piece of bacteria that multiplied/mutated/evolved over time to create the vast differences in vegetation, animals, minerals, and elements?
Old 10-31-2009, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

I think the bible is a book of stories that a person/persons wrote. Many people could not read when the bible was written. Someone read something to a gullible person and it snowballed from there.
I see the church as a business. When I was in Croatia for my cousins wedding, we had to wait outside the church while the priest finished a funeral. We waited as all the sad people walked out of the church then we all went in. The priest switched from sad to very happy in an instant. And we were out of there in 30mins...
Old 10-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I don't believe in a god, and the reason is that I don't think it's the most logical explanation. Just because I don't know the answer doesn't mean that something supernatural did it. Is a god a possible answer? Yes. I just don't think it's required that there was one.

One of the arguments I've heard Creationists use to make Atheists seem illogical is the Big Bang. They say "So, all of this just appeared out of nothing? That just doesn't seem possible." However they seem to have no problem with their god coming out of nowhere, which is equally illogical.

I also think that any all-powerful supernatural being would have nothing in it for them to remain hidden from the masses. If there is a god or gods, and things are basically the way that religious texts claim they are, they're just messing with people. That's sort of dickish. So if the god or gods are dicks, what do I care? It's awfully convenient that we're supposed to take this stuff on faith. If that's truly the case, I don't like it when people play mind games with me, and this is no different.

If there was a basis for these religions, I think it was probably illusionists or on the more spectacular side of things aliens.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

what do you mean by, "they're just messing with people" ? How?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

QUOTE (majikTib @ Oct 31 2009, 09:32 AM)
sounds logical.
so where do you believe the root of everything started from? Do you believe it all started with a piece of bacteria that multiplied/mutated/evolved over time to create the vast differences in vegetation, animals, minerals, and elements?

Everything always has been and always will be. Matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be changed from one form into another. The elements required to form life have always existed. It just took the exact right set of circumstances for life to start. The definition of life is matter that multiplies and recreates itself. From the simplest organisms to the most complex, our main reason for being to to multiply. As life recreated itself, it adapted to it's environment. The adaptation required more and more complex systems to cope. This eventually led to life becoming intelligent and eventually, self aware. Some people have a hard time believing that these circumstances could "just happen" without some supernatural guidance. The reason for this is because these same people can't fathom just how large the entire cosmos is. As large as it is, it was almost guaranteed to happen somewhere. There was no greater chance of it happening on this planet than on any other.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:17 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

QUOTE (Visionz @ Oct 30 2009, 08:12 AM)
I was raised as a Catholic, but as I got older...I started to realize that having someone preaching to me and telling me what I should believe in, was crap. So now I'm spiritual, but definitely not religious.

+1

QUOTE (Munky @ Oct 30 2009, 08:16 AM)
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

-Stephen Roberts

Awesome quote.

QUOTE (Visionz @ Oct 30 2009, 08:42 AM)
Can I just say how happy I am that this forum is probably one of the only forums out there where people can have fun and mature conversations about religion and politics, without everyone wanting to stab each other over their views? laugh.gif

+1

QUOTE (Whiplash @ Oct 31 2009, 03:29 AM)
Yeah as long as someone doesn't try to push their religion on to me, and they are happy I think its all good.

+1
Old 11-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

QUOTE (majikTib @ Oct 31 2009, 02:15 PM)
what do you mean by, "they're just messing with people" ? How?

Bizarre rules, such as having to take their existence on faith when it would take no effort for a god to appear to people regularly. The fact that people pray for things all the time, generally good things, but those prayers being answered are like winning the lottery at best. It seems like there is no effect on the outcome of a situation because of prayer. Many religions have weird things that you can't eat, or weird rituals that you have to perform, neither of which actually do anything to benefit anyone or anything (except for maybe the animals not getting eaten). Then there's the fact that if there is a supreme being, there are human representatives of those beings on Earth. Those representatives often abuse their position of power in one way or another. If there was ever a time to send down a lightning bolt and roast someone, it seems like the people misrepresenting the deity would be a great place to start.

What it all comes down to for me is that IF there is a god or gods it/they do not care one bit about what's going on down here, or at the very least they're not using their immeasurable power to make things better. A truly good god would take care of their followers at least.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

So, what happens if you spend your entire life believing in one religion or one god and when you die...nothing happens. You just rot in the ground. You spent a life time thinking something that turned out to be one big disappointment.

And how come theres nothing in the bible about dinosaurs or cavemen or anything scientific?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Accent

i dont believe in organized religion. the catholic religion is the biggest corporation in the world.