Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

CAI = No Sound

Old 10-25-2004, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: oo....i'll kill playstation

Well, Anxious as I was, I connected my AEM Cold Air Intake to my reducer coupler tubing just to hear the difference, conecting the piping properly. I did not connect my Air Temp Sensor for the test, but just covered up the sensor input with some masking tape so there would not be any air leaks. I did not remove my resonator or my filter box, just connected the CAI just to see any differences.

There was absolutely no difference in the sound. Infact, there was no humming sound at all. I did not take the car for a spin as it was only a test, but I even checked the exhaust and it seemed as if the CAI was never on! I did rev the engine a ref times, but no noise.

My questions are, is the CAI supposed to create any sort of noise to start off with? I know exhaust does the trick, and it seems like I am just going to have to find one at this point... but the CAI doesn't create any noise at all? This kind of changes the way I've been thinking about them this entire time...

Is there any possible way this CAI on a stock setup can make any difference in sound? Or am I just gonna have to get a new exhaust...?

Thanks all!
Old 10-25-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Problem with Power steering/waterpump Pulley kit

odd... I have an eBay CAI.. and at idle there is a slight "Sucking/hissing" noise.. but at WOT throttle and approaching redline, the noise is enough to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up...

Funny thing, guy that sometimes works for me has an XD with the same engine... at idle his car just hums... mine has a slightly nasty snarl thanks to the CAI and the 1.8 intake cam. We had them both idling side by side saturday night after work, letting them warm up a bit.. the difference was very noticible.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: CAI = No Sound

First off, COMPLETELY and CORRECTLY install it. That means pull out all of the crappy stock intake, and connect the sensors.

Second, yes, it should be MUCH louder than the stock intake.

Your problem probably is that since your temp sensor isn't connected, your ECU isn't getting any readings from it. So it's probably telling the engine that it doesn't need to take in much air.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:31 PM

Default suspension

Should be a deep low pitch sound, atleast mine is. But yea hook it up completly
Old 10-25-2004, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Gmail

Yeah doode, hook it up ALL the way, install your air temp sensor, it's there for a reason, and not like it takes more than .5 seconds to install it.

Then reset your ECU and go for a HIGH RPM run.

If it doesn't make any sound, you installed it to your exhaust, or have a non operating engine.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650
Default Re: CAI = No Sound

Yeah, you should hear it sucking at idle (when it's connected properly), but the real dif is when you're driving and give it a boot full :twisted:
You should here a nice growl when it's under load 8)
Old 10-25-2004, 04:49 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: FS: Turbo Manifold (Now with pics)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>but at WOT throttle and approaching redline, the noise is enough to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up... </div>

hahah lol... it's tempting folks! very, very tempting! i'm happy that this upgrade alone will make the car sound nice because so far, its lips are bandaged up by that old intake box. but check this out, my car is a 97 therefore the exhaust might be different than a 2000+. i'm going to try this again tonight. but there is one problem. (i should bleach my hair for this one) how do you disconnect your air temp sensor? it won't budge. do you have to push the insert's in?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>That means pull out all of the crappy stock intake, and connect the sensors. </div> LOL, crappy, ugly, boxy, and dusty! i'm happy with this upgrade lol.gif
Old 10-25-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Bone to Pick with Hyundai

Taking out the old intake is the lenghtiest part of this install. That, and trimming the splash guard.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:10 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650
Default Re: suspension

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe)</div><div class='quotemain'>how do you disconnect your air temp sensor? it won't budge. do you have to push the insert's in?</div>
The sensor should just pull out of the rubber insert, then remove the insert so you can use it in the new intake.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Re: do it yourself type of installs?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>If it doesn't make any sound, you installed it to your exhaust</div>

Sorry REDZ, but wouldn't this make it LOUDER?? since you'd have to take the resonators and muffler outta the system to make it work?? ;-)

hehe, race-only DP for you boosted guys.....