Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Aftermarket Shifter

Old 02-01-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought an aftermarket obx-r brand automatic-shifter from a member here, BigBoi, and i have recieved it. unfortunately, there was no manual, NOTHING, not even a screw to bolt it on, that came with shifter. i did go to obxracingsports.com and looked around for an hour, but we couldn't find anything about the shifter i have.

the shifter is already on the car, my only question is, which wire on that shifter is the ground wire, and power? personally, i would try testing wires on one or other while driving, but decided against it, cuz apparently my car never got the tuning it needed, and don't want to risk anything.

as you can see on the pic, there are two wires out left side, and right side, what really sucks is that they're both black, and doesn't say which wires are for what... mad.gif i have already PMed BigBoi, but never heard a response, nor have i seen him around here lately.

if anybody knows anything at all about the wires., PLEASE TELL ME!! thanks! (and DON'T call me stupid, cuz i'm only new to the automobile world for a year now, i've got a long way to go in knowing more about cars)

here's the pics: top of first pic, you can (barely) see a button, that's the overdrive button (according to BigBoi)
also i'm not quite sure what exactly red, yellow, and black wires from car is, but it'd be great to know for sure.

yes i know, there is smokin in the car 02.gif

here's upclose pic of the wires comin out of the shifter
Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 PM

Does one of the black wires have a white stripe on it? If one of them does that's your power wire.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:28 PM

last i remember, both wires are all black with white wording, and i remember reading that the year on it was 2003. don't remember white striping, but i'll take a look tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

According to this:

"The overdrive button operates by sending power either to the O/D OFF lamp in the cluster or to the TCM. When the TCM receives power on the O/D switch circuit, it enables overdrive."

So it seems with only 2 wires you could connect it on/ off to the TCM but then your overdrive light on the dash won't work.

If you are happy with that then you just need to figure out which wires go to the TCM and use those and leave the third unconnected.

I'll look around and see if I can find out what wires are for what. I've never done it so I can't guarantee it will work perfectly or not sorry.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:56 PM

hmm, well i suppose i'll be fine with o/d lamp off, only "problem" with that is i won't be able to tell if o/d is on or off, but i'm fine with it on all the time, so i guess it's not a big deal lol. but yea, more info on which wires are for what though.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:51 AM

Well you have an automatic so you could be able to tell if you in overdrive or not just by how the cars driving, and at what rpm it's shifting. Lower rpm's when you shift with o/d on.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

OK heres what I did when I had an auto. I did not rewire the overdrive button at all. I left the switch on and stuck it under the shifter. It was just to much of a pain and I never used it anyway. So thats an idea to save more of a headache as well.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:27 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

maaaaan... I can't tell what the heck I'm looking at here. There's wires ALL OVER THE PLACE! WTF?

Show me the wires going to the shifter and only the wires going to the shifter. Tell me colors of wires at the shifter. Tell me if the shifter is illuminated. This is what I need to know and I can pull up wiring diagrams to tell you what wires to connect where.

If it is just two black wires, then it's just a switch which is on or off.

I can tell you how to hook it up properly, but I need to know what the shifter does and what wires are going to the shifter.

it looks like a two wire system

Here is the stock wiring guide for a 01 tiburon.
Green = 12V hot at on power wire
orange/black or red/black = over drive on with 12V applied
pink = overdrive off indicator with 12V applied

Installing a 2 wire system will remove the overdrive off indicator. One shifter wire to orange/black and the other to green.

Another method is you tie the pink and orange/black or red/black wire together then your overdrive off indicator will function as an overdrive on indicator

I'll look up the 00 guide. It looks like your wires are different then the 01.

I can't tell the colors. There is not supposed to be a yellow wire on a tiburon o/d switch. Tell me the colors of the wires, ie.. red with white stripe.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Use a SPST (single pole single throw) relay.

Have a positive (either independent or spliced from the stock shifter wiring) run into the switch on the aftermarket shifter (doesnt matter which) and have the other wire run into the coil (85) and the other side of the coil (86) run to ground. Have the (green) positive wire from the original shifter wire run to common (30). Have the orange-red/black wire (overdrive on) run into normally closed (87a) and have the pink wire (off indicator) run to normally open (87).

This way, the switch when open will allow the car to remain in overdrive mode while keeping the O/D off indicator off. When you hit the shifter switch the coil will activate, causing the switch inside the relay to open the "overdrive on" switch while at the same time illuminating the "overdrive off" light.

Since your a self proclaimed newb to all things automotive (and im assuming electronically) you can learn more about SPST and SPDT relays here

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

The colors i used are from DTN's color definition, if they aren't as he listed, you can easily just take the wires and connect them while the car is on and see what happens> Use a multimeter to identify the positive, then connect the positive to either of the other two wires until the O/D off indicator comes on, then the other wire is obviously the O/D on indicator.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:57 PM

^^02.gif guys, .. a reminder, ... my car's a 2000! there is no pink or green wire you speak of. those are probably the 01's wire colors, since both of yours are 01. ... weird

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Feb 2 2008, 01:27 PM)
maaaaan... I can't tell what the heck I'm looking at here. There's wires ALL OVER THE PLACE! WTF?

LOL there's TWO wires from shifter, and THREE wires from the car itself

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Feb 2 2008, 01:27 PM)
I can't tell the colors. There is not supposed to be a yellow wire on a tiburon o/d switch. Tell me the colors of the wires, ie.. red with white stripe.

i said that right above the first pic silly! the colors are yellow, red, and black. in that order. in the middle of those three wires are green tape, holding it together, cuz it was cut off to take the stock shifter off.