Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

3-way Speaker Trouble

Old 03-31-2006, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Thats wierd, you should only need to hook up one wire to the teminal. I have the same 6x9s and they sound amazing. Must be soemthing wrong somewhere but im not sure what it could be
Old 03-31-2006, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Dude, you have something hooked up wrong bro.

Seriously. I suck at wiring and got all of mine the first try.

You MIGHT wanna turn down your bass and treble all the way to neutral, and make sure your HU is set to all MID settings before listening to it again.

These speakers rock, don't know what the problem is.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I'm at a loss of what to do...

I got a track event to do this weekend, and can hopefully find some time inbetween to mess around with things...

One question I have that I would really like answered....
The prongs on the speaker, ...there are two in an L-shape like pictured in this image

Do I need to connect BOTH of those to the car's power and neg. wires?

And if not, does it MATTER which two I choose to hook up? I first tried with the outside two (facing away from each other) and only the tweeters worked.

Then I tried doing both and both the speaker and the tweeter worked but now they sound like crap...

Maybe if I try JUST the two pointing down (in actuallity up), then they will both work? I dunno....

????????????????
Old 03-31-2006, 11:59 PM

Don't know mang, I hooked mine up to, I can't remember which one, but I think they are all connected so it shouldn't matter.

Did you reverse them on accident?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

"Removable Tweeter for Remote Mounting"

thats it. thats why there are two sets of terminals. my guess is that the woofer and tweeter are each 8 ohms, making a combined load of 4 ohms. the tweeter probably has some kind of basic high pass filter to block the lows, and vice vers for the woofer. make sure the + from the headunit is going to the + of the speaker, like redz said. connect the speaker wire to both terminals. no crap-ass connecting either. use GOOD crimps or solder.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundia/Tiburon Fx

I did a look up for your set of speakers and found this..
Speakers

from the look of it what I said earlier about them being separates I was right but from the pic if you blow it up to look those 2 L shaped tab's are soldered together...So that lead's me to say either you have 1 of the speakers hooked up reverse or you have a defective pair..
Old 04-01-2006, 10:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Pat, that L shaped connector plate is common on pretty much all stock replacement speakers. Its not like a sub with multiple voice coils and multiple options of OHM's setup's like you see on subs. The L shape is simply to make installation easier. The wires can either be sticking straight out away from the speakers, or be connected so they run more with the contours of the speaker. If the wires are sticking straight out, this may potentially ground against your frame thats holding the speaker in place. If you notice, the material is also very pliable, so you can bend it as necessary.

I would say you either have a blown speaker, or the speaker does not put out adequate bass and is meant to be used with a sub. My roomy upgraded his speakers in his Neon and although the highs and mid where crystal clear, he had no bass response at all. two weeks later he got a sub and has been happy since.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:59 PM

Tom, he bought the same speakers I've got.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Then I would imagine he has a blown speaker or possibly a wire needs to be re-soddered somewhere inside the speaker. Also, there is that slight possiblity that your amp in your HU went out at exactly the same time you installed the speakers. Reconnect the stockers just to make sure this is not the case
Old 04-01-2006, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

have u tryed adjusting your eq on your deck?