Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Was there every any kind of ECU reflash to the stock ECU?

Old 06-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

really ???? can you provide any links ?? i know that NGM only worked with the 16bit for the i4 sniper supercharger kit, some members getting 197 hp at the wheels with that. and really i would like to swap an entire beta2 wire chassis into my RD, but that plan is far from happening.

is the 16bit a plug in ? or do you have to snip wires to match the connector to the existing harness ? what do you lose on the AC ?? could the AC be wired manually with its own electrical harness ?

please post some links bro !
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Everything CAN be wired separately, but how much effort do you want to put into it when there are already things like the AEM FIC out there?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:44 AM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

you would lose the AC as a whole-...

deltaforce never came out w/ anything for the tibs although they were going to (deltaforcetuningforums.com only1db was trying to spearhead that project).

the gk has a seperate body control moniter (BCM) for the AC and all other odds and ends, and apparently they are problematic.

the NGM/hyundaihouseofpower "store" portion of the site has seemed to have been down for awhile now.

that leaves KFX and their megasquirt which is kinda costly for NA power but you can keep the AC! but you will loose OBDII as it is a standalone.

or go custom like a few members on here did and build your own megasquirt but you will likely still lose your AC.

aem's fic is great if you are forced induction-...

and a SAFC supposedly only tunes @ 90% throttle unless you disconnect both 02 sensors (i think supercow knew something about this)

from what only1db (hyundai certified tech) told me, our bosch 8bit ECU was never made to be reflashable, if there was any problems the ECU was discarded and another was installed. searching webtech backs that up as i see no ecu upgrades for the rd/rc
Old 06-11-2011, 12:37 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

wow, thanks for that post. I always knew the AEM was the best to tune. I may go that route in the future.

I currently have an SAFC2 installed and working well. you are correct, the SAFC2 only corrects the "hi throttle" position, what ever you have the cut off set at for high, mine is complete wide open like 95% or more, subtracts a little fuel, so i run a nice 13.0-13-5 when at WOT instead of the pig rich stock 11.5 - 12.5.

I never heard of disconnecting 02 sensors to allow it to correct "lo settings" i also have a wideband AEM Uego installed... does that mean that i could run its output blue wire to the SAFC2 and disconnect OEM o2's and get full tuneability out of the SAFC2 ?? that would be nice.... would make adding the supercharger in the future much easier... maybe...
Old 06-11-2011, 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i wanna say supercow was running his turbo setup w/ a stock ecu and a safc with the stock o2 sensors disconnected-... don't qoute me on that though
Old 07-18-2011, 11:43 PM

Vehicle: 97 Hyundai Tiburon FX

It is possible to have the stock ecu's flashed. http://www.dcptuning.com/car-ecu-rem...g-hyundai.html

here's a sample:

"The procedure for remapping your Hyundai model (post year 2000) involves a 'read', 'modify' & 'write' process to & from the ECU via the OBD/OBDII port.

On earlier Hyundai models (pre year 2000), we need to remove the ECU from the vehicle & carry out the 'read', 'modify' & 'write' process, this is referred to as chip tuning (chiptuning, chipping). Removing the ECU from your car is fairly simple depending on the model, once removed we carry out the de-soldering of the chip (eprom) from the ECU mainboard to 'read' the stock data from it, 'modify' it (as described for remapping above), 'write' & re-solder it back onto the ECU mainboard. Leaving just the refitting of the ECU, the OBD/OBDII diagnostic & finally a road test of your fully remapped/chipped Hyundai. "
Old 07-18-2011, 11:45 PM

Vehicle: 97 Hyundai Tiburon FX

And on that note, it stands within reason we should be able to simply take some PC board with the proper terminal to fit the prongs on the eprom chip and usb it to the comp. Just a matter of software after that.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds like a pretty gross oversimplification. Hyundai didn't tell anyone what they wrote on the chip, so IF those people can read/write the chip, they will have done a lot of reverse-engineering to get there. You'd have to do that all again yourself. Starting point: knowing what is going on inside the chip.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:58 PM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

JET performance products claims to be able to chip a stock ecu mailed to them...

http://www.jetchip.com/
Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Guinea pigs? Anyone? Do you have to pay full price again when you modify your engine again?

THIS is the real question: if you do dramatic modifications and want a re-tune, how long does it take before their guessing at a proper tune screws your engine over, and how long does it take before you'd have paid for an AEM F/IC and proper monitored dyno tuning?