Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Hey Random, specs on that 2G Beta intake cam?

Old 09-25-2001, 06:42 AM
Red

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been posting my thoughts about them on the FXTreme forums, but I'll "repost" them here wink.gif

Ok, so here's the deal...

Random is correct, in that it does offer two more degrees of duration along with another 0.4mm more lift as-compared to the previous 1.8L cam upgrade. This intake cam is supplied with all 2.0L motors built after 07/2000, so it may be possible that your Tiburon/Elantra right now has this cam (along with the smaller exhaust cam that comes with it)

There are a few issues that you need to be aware of however...

This cam was built for a solid lifter design, NOT for an HLA design. This cam also comes along with different valve springs that have a lesser spring rate.

If you drop this cam into your older BETA motor (one built before 07/2000) then there is a strong possibility of premature spring failure or HLA failure. Solid lifters can deal with much more agressive ramp rates than HLA's can -- the ramp rate on these cams is not going to be nice to your HLA's. And with 0.8mm more lift than stock, the taller lobes will eventually wear out your valve springs faster.

If you break a valve spring while the motor is running, you're going to be replacing quite a few LARGE and EXPENSIVE components in your motor. The more RPM's you're pulling when it breaks, the more the repair bill is going to cost.

Now that you're forewarned, I'll let you know what I've found.

First: Idle quality. I didn't expect such a change, but manifold vacuum at idle dropped from almost 16"hg to 12"hg -- basically a 3.5" mercury drop. When the car is cold, the idle wanders and bumps around between 750 and 850, although it does seem to smooth out (well, for the most part) after the car is up to normal operating temperature.

Second: Noise. Along with my intake, overbored throttlebody, ported intake manifold and ported/polished/valve-jobbed head this new cam makes a bit more noise on Wide-Open-Throttle runs. While I'm totally against extra noise, it's not enough to be annoying to me, so some people may not even notice it wink.gif

Third: Power. It doesn't seem like it runs to it's full potential until it's fully warmed up, which is contrary to how my car usually behaves. Typically my car has always liked being cold, but this cam doesn't appear to go along with that. When the car is fully warmed up, it seems to run a bit peppier in the 4K and above bracket. I'm not going to give any estimates on horsepower or quarter mile times or whatnot, I'm just saying that, along with all the other upgrades I've made, this seems to add a bit more kick on the upper RPM's.

I am hoping to get a dyno session in this Friday, but that's still not set in stone. Albuquerque finally has a dyno shop, but they're very unreliable in terms of making appointments. I guess they can be, as they're the only people within about a 400 mile radius that has a chassis dynometer.

I'll report more as I learn it.

-Red-
Old 09-25-2001, 07:09 AM

I think this question may have been asked before...but how hard would it be to convert a first-gen Beta engine from the HLA setup to the solid shims, and the looser springs? Would it be worth the trouble to do this and gain the peace of mind that bad things will be less likely to happen? Or is this project going to fall into the "not enough gain to merit the effort" category?

Is there more that would be needed to do this replacement than the new intake cam, the shims to replace the HLAs, and 16 springs?
Old 09-25-2001, 07:47 AM
Red

Random and I were hypothesizing (sp?) about that last night...

It seems to both of us that this "2nd gen" motor really is not a new generation -- it's simply a different valvetrain and possibly a different head casting.

The working theory is that the head casting has not changed. Rather, it's simply a whole new set of valves, springs, shims, buckets, guides, retainers and cams that make up the new valvetrain. If that theory is correct, then you could convert to the new solid design and scrap your HLA's.

But it's still theory for now,
-Red-
Old 09-25-2001, 10:58 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by Red:
If that theory is correct, then you could convert to the new solid design and scrap your HLA's.</div>

Keep me posted as more information becomes available. If there's anything you need some extra help in finding out, I'll see what I can dig up. I'm feeling like my car needs to go into the shop anyway, so I could take the opportunity to schmooze with the Hyundai mechanics while I'm there.