Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust Help Needed

Old 07-29-2007, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I took the cheap easy route, and got some OBX headers off ebay. I know the welds need to be reinforced, so rest assured I will have that done. But now for the questions. Since I'm putting on a header, I figured I might as well go and get a whole new exhaust system, (and repalce my ebrake cables while it's off) So I wanna know whats the best set up to go with.

I'm thinking 2.5 inch piping from the header back
under axel, not over
Gut the cat (we dont have emissions here, so should I keep it or gut it?)
Resonators??? (how big/brand?) I know nothing about resonators, so any help would be nice
wrap the header or leave it (pros/cons of wrapping/not wrapping)
Stainless or regular piping? (SS is 8.15/foot, regular is 3.90/foot)

I did some searching, and found some partial answers, but I'm looking for something a little more concrete.

And remember I have no serious plans for a turbo

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:36 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

you should have been able to find ALL this info with searching.

also, you're a little mixed up. the welds need to be reinforced on the OBX TURBO manifolds. the headers are fine.

if you have no plans for high power, i would go with 2.25" piping. depends how many n/a mods you want (since you don't want FI). i personally went with 2.5" because i have lots of n/a mods.

stainless steel keeps the heat in better. look for mandrel bends, or at least press, but never crush. and by regular piping i assume you mean aluminized steel?

don't gut your cat, get a high flow cat, they're like $40. make sure to get one with an o2 bung post-cat, or get one welded in, otherwise you'll get a CEL.

resonators..again, you really should have searched, somehow i doubt you did. dynomax thrush PERFORATED, get the longest one you can fit. i'm guessing about 20-28", depending on your setup.

if you're doing 2.5" piping, i would suggest getting an exhaust reducer, and flipping it around to use it as an expander, because the OBX header flex pipe is 2.25".

wrap the header if you want.

have you thought about sound? or a muffler?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:13 AM

thanks for the reply, and yes I did do a search (not a big 2 hour in depth search, but I did one)

I did mean aluminized steel, I just couldnt remember what the mechanic had called it. And you actually pretty much answerd all my questions. But the thing I still don't get is wrapping the header. Is the biggest reason of doing so, to keep the heat in the header, and out of the engine bay? Because IMO, wrapped headers dont look so good.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:40 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sw-ontarioguy @ Jul 29 2007, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Gut the cat (we dont have emissions here, so should I keep it or gut it?)</div>
Don't gut the cat! Some of us like to breathe fresh air. Besides, I don't know how you figure we don't have emissions here. Have you ever heard of the Drive Clean program in Ontario? We have to take our car in every 2 years and have the emissions tested before we can renew our license plates and it's a very detailed inspection and test using a tailpipe probe. I doubt your car will pass if you remove or destroy the catalytic convertor.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:14 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Yes, the point is to keep the heat in, so it doesn't heat up other things, plus, gases flow faster when they are warm. I didn't wrap them because it's such a minute difference, plus it takes time and looks ugly.

When you're done installing the header, before you turn the car on the first time, make sure to wipe your finger prints clean. Otherwise, they will leave colored blue/purple/red marks on your header, made mine look like ass. Also, there is a DIY for the header install.

If you go with 2.5" I've got a 3 chamber magnaflow muffler I'll sell you. It's a straight through style with 3 baffle chambers, so it tones the sound WAYY better than your fart cannon. Plus, you can weld your own tip on. Keeps it a bit quieter as well.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

cheap headers + stock 2nd cat + 2.5" over axle exhaust + cheap 28" thrush glasspack + crap muffler that comes with exhaust = awesome sound and power. the cat really helps tone it down, and is environmentally responsible. leave it on. i have a thread in the showroom section if you want to hear my exhaust.

i'm still not convinced all these custom solutions you guys are going for are worth it at all.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Banned

there is absolutely NO point in reinforcing the welds on the n/a header. that is just needed for the turbo manifold obx makes..

i would just stick with a stock cat. high flow cat will just cost more money and barely do anything for you, plus itll increase the noise.

wrapping the headers looks good IMO and keeps in the heat. i would do it..

i would probably just go with 2.25" piping unless you plan on building your motor up or something. under axle for best flow.

28" thrush glasspack will do good things for the sound fing02.gif cheap ebay fart cannon will be fine.

so IMO, i would do this. obx header + stock cat +2.25" underaxle exhaust +28" thrush glasspack+ cheap fart cannon.

and o, if you don't care about the environment, try gutting your cat, and seeing how shitty it sounds.. you will regret that you gutted your cat for the extra flow for the rest of your life.. its sounds TERRIBLE.. i had the obx header and i put on the 'test pipe'.. worst sound i have ever heard from an exhaust. just leave the stock cat on.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rallyman @ Jul 30 2007, 06:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Don't gut the cat! Some of us like to breathe fresh air. Besides, I don't know how you figure we don't have emissions here. Have you ever heard of the Drive Clean program in Ontario? We have to take our car in every 2 years and have the emissions tested before we can renew our license plates and it's a very detailed inspection and test using a tailpipe probe. I doubt your car will pass if you remove or destroy the catalytic convertor.</div>

Dude I have obviously heard of the drive clean program. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. What you obviously don't know, is that the drive clean program is NOT ontario wide. It is only ontario's plan, to have all areas drive clean, but not all areas are. My addresse used to be Mitchell, and yes we did need to have the e-test every 2 years. I recently moved to Ayton, and it was time again to renew my plates. I took it in, and the lady said I needed an e-test. So ok, off to the local mechanic I go. He tells me that if you live in Normanby township, you don't need the e-test. So i changed the address on my ownership to Ayton, go to renew my plates, and no e-test was required. The only things needed to be e-tested in Normanby are commercial vehicles.

As for everyone else THANKS for your help. I've descided to go with un-wrapped header, 2.25" piping, keep the stock cat, under axel, and keep my reactive muffler. See how it sounds, and if it's too loud, I'll put in a resonator.

I wasn't really show what gutting the cat was going to to do. I knew it would have better flow (and save me 95$ on a hi flow cat) and knew it would be louder. Just thought the resonator would cancel it out. Oh well, no big deal, it'll stay as is.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Banned

i would make live easy on yourself and get a 40$ glasspack and just have it welded in when you get your exhaust done.. you will be much happier that way, trust me fing02.gif
Old 07-30-2007, 01:03 PM

I'm doing the exhaust myself, so it'll only take an extra 20 mins to cut out a chunk of pipe, and weld in the glasspack/resonator