Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust Help Needed

Old 07-30-2007, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

I would not use the stock cat..you are restricting your flow. you are going 2.25" from the flex, to 2" in the stock cat, then 2.25" again for the rest?

Plus, you'll have to weld in an o2 bung in your stock cat. You might as well just spend the $40 to get a nice high flow cat. You're upgrading your entire exhaust system from the engine back, why keep one old used OEM part still in the middle of it all?

As for the muffler, I personally hate the sound and buzz of the average fart cannon. The cheap headers buzz enough on their own, they don't need any help....but I guess to each his own.

For the resonator, I would DEFINITELY get a glasspack. They're only like $20 on summit, they don't really restrict flow, and they keep A LOT of resonance and loudness out. Plus, if you like red, it's like under the car rice fing02.gif

And lastly, USE FLANGES! Don't weld everything together and have a 1 piece exhaust. Makes it very hard in the future.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

vid of what i suggested above...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5...35311&hl=en

my exhaust doesnt open up to 2.25" before the cat. it stays stock diameter to the cat, then opens up to 2.5" after. going from the 2" diameter of header exits to 2.25 would be weird. welding a bung in is easy if he's going to be welding, and you can pick up ss bungs on ebay for cheap. plus i dont know about his laws but it is technically illegal to remove a functioning cat(but so is just about everything we do, so i guess that's a moot point).
Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 PM

Yes, it is illegal to remove a functioning cat from any car that came stock with one. Thats why I was going to gut it, and leave it there so it looked like it was there. But I'm gonna leave it alone, so no worries there.

The real reason why I was gonna put on a new exhaust system was to compliment the header, and to replace my e brake cables at the same time. BUT since Hyundai was 220$ for both ebrake cables, I'm not gonna replace them. So now I don't know if I should do ANY exhaust work at all. Or still go with the 2.25" piping 02.gif
Old 07-31-2007, 12:34 PM

i just replaced my ebrake cables about a week ago. having the exhaust off won't help at all if i remember correctly. the only problem i had was with the extreme rust all over the old lines that made getting them detached from the calipers a b****.

you can get both brake lines new from korea in the SFR vendor forum here for 130. i think you can get them from the dealer for less though, double check your part numbers on hyundaiusa.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Banned

actually, get me the part numbers, and ill get you a quote. .i just started working at a hyundai dealer, and may be able to get a little discount..
Old 07-31-2007, 02:42 PM

I'm almost positive that my obx flex pipe is 2.25"..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sw-ontarioguy @ Jul 30 2007, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yes, it is illegal to remove a functioning cat from any car that came stock with one.</div>
I didn't say remove it. I said REPLACE it. As in with a better flowing, brand new one. You get more peformance AND cleaner air than stock....
Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 PM

Zoned, the cat reference was to what tibby01 said, not you.

Hyundai told me 99 and change + tax for each e-brake cable. My mechanic quoted me 4 hours labour to do it, because you gotta drop the exhaust down to do it. I just believed him, because I havn't looked to see how the cables are routed. But even still, I'm not paying 230+ on cables. I simply won't. I havnt had a working E-brake for 2 years now anyways, so it's nothing new. I just thought now was the time to fix it, while my exhaust was off, because of what my mechanic said.

But in the end, for you guys who have done exhaust work. Is it worth it? I dont want to spend 300$ or whatever just to make my car sound a "little more throaty" If I'm not gonna feel any gain at all, then I'm probly better off getting a BBTB or something instead

AND, I've been reading up on this 1.8l cam swap, which I'm probly going to do in the next couple weeks if i can get my hands on a local one. And as soon as I stop being lazy, I'll pull my ECU and see if i have a rev A or rev B since i'm a 98.

If I do either or both of those mods, it shouldn't matter on my exhaust at all should it?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:11 AM

lets be realistic, it's not going to turn your tib into a rocketship. a full intake&exhaust is good for at the very max a half second off the quarter mile, which translates to only a little bit of butt dyno power. it wwill make it sound cooler, pull a little more in the upper rpms, and benefit you as you add mods. that's all.

i went close to two years without a proper ebrake to. i was overjoyed when i replaced my cables, can't even imagine why i went so long without them. don't trust your dealer, go to hyundaiusa and order the parts yourself. search for "hyundaiusa" on here to learn how to order things from there. when i checked the cables were only like 120 for both, then you just pick them up at your dealer and wave at the assholes that tried to overcharge you. at the very worst you will pay 130 shipped from our vendor sfr here on the forums.

you can do it yourself too, it really isn't that hard. you definitely don't NEED to touch the exhaust. i didn't unbolt anything and i have a 2.5" one with a huge glasspack more towards the front. the only way i can imagine it helping in the process is if you don't have a ratchet extension. you shouldn't be working on a car if that's the case though anyway.

fix the ebrake first, then tackle the exhaust later if you want. having done both, if i had the choice of fixing ebrake cables for 130 or installing a new exhaust for 250 i would go with the ebrake. it really is a lot more awesome having a functioning ebrake than you would think.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:39 AM

I installed my exhaust/headers together, and I know I felt a HUGE difference.

Blacktibs got an 11 whp gain over stock from installing the apexi exhaust + the 1.8 OEM "semi header"
Old 08-01-2007, 09:27 AM

psychological effects man. the same power you felt from that can be achieved by doing some semi-serious weight reduction.

11whp won't get you more than a half a second of your quarter times, and OP showed multiple times how removing some things out of the tib can get you that same half second.