Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

Sonata versus Genesis

Old 11-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

It seems that the track times I can find put the manual 2.0 coupe as a dang close race with the sonata.. are the auto coupes turds?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I've ridden in a Sonata Turbo A/T compared to my Genesis Turbo A/T. The Sonata is quicker, turbo is faster - keep in mind the Sonata has a twin scroll turbo and GDI

However, the suspension and fun of driving make the Genesis the better car

I drove my Genesis all over the Tail of the Dragon's wicked curves. I rode in a Sonata - that thing was QUICK but we went airborne and on 3 wheels a few times. It just can't handle the turns quite the same
Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Administrator

the 2.0 auto coupes lose about 30whp - torque converter fail.

I want to trade mine in so bad.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

^^why would you spend all that money and not get EXACTLY what you want. i couldnt see spending that much money and settling on auto for any reason.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

the 2.0 auto coupes lose about 30whp - torque converter fail.

I want to trade mine in so bad.

You're no ordinary person, you have done an auto-manual swap. I was so surprised you got the auto!

However, the suspension and fun of driving make the Genesis the better car

If the Sonata and GC weigh about the same, I say the model no longer matters, it all depends on the modifications! The lower the springs, the less limits you will feel on roads and highways. I feel so much more confident in the Elantra on B+G over the Tiburon on Eibachs when I push. I've overtaken a Lexus overtaking a BMW in that car lol. They would pull up to see how the hell I was doing that!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

One of them is sending the power to the right set of wheels.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe
You're no ordinary person, you have done an auto-manual swap. I was so surprised you got the auto!
I know I know. I regret not getting the M/T, but honestly, they have so many difficulties. But, at the time my annual household income was $30,000 less than it is now. The M/T comes in the 2.0 BASE or 2.0 TRACK --- I wanted sunroof, I wanted turbo, these options only come in the Premium model which does not have a M/T option. I didn't want the V6. At the time, sunroof was more important than tranny, especially with the known M/T issues.

Many people have had them replaced the M/T b/c of grinding. When I was hauling ass on the Tail of the Dragon, one girl (stock car) kept having to pull off because it wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear when she was running hard. Others had commented that they'd had similar experiences before.

The Automatic on the Tiburon was crap. I killed two of them. I didn't want to deal with transmission problems again. Apparently they fixed them for the 2011.