Hyundai Santa Fe Forum The Hyundai Santa Fe Forum. Hyundai's Sport Utility Vehicle discussions here such as the Santa Fe, Tuscon, and Veracruz! Learn what makes these great cross overs and SUV's one of the favorites amongst Hyundai owners.

Hyundai recalls 23,000 Santa Fe SUVs

Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Hyundai recalls 23,000 Santa Fe SUVs

Hyundai is recalling about 23,000 SUVs in the U.S. and Canada because an axle can fail, causing the car to lose power.

The recall affects 2013 Santa Fe Sport models with front-wheel-drive and 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engines. They were built between July 11, 2012 through March 12 of this year.

Hyundai says the right axle shaft can fail in rare cases. If that happens, the SUVs can lose power or roll away if parked on a slope. The company says it's not aware of any crashes or injuries linked to the defect.

Owners are being notified by letter. Dealers will replace the axle shaft free of charge.

Yeah, thats not good.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Um.......

This goes back to my about SUVs not being able to do things trucks are intended to do even from an engineering perspective. It's the same idea as building a boat that's not buoyant or city car that has no freakin wheels at all. If they made them up to the standards of a rugged off-road vehicle (since they're pretty much already priced that way) any "failures" would have no effect on the average user. If someones in the market for an SUV, crap like this shouldn't even be a possibility.

=/=

You bought the wrong car!

Old 08-14-2013, 01:13 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Tibbi, you're an idiot.

You think "rugged off-road" trucks never break down or fall apart?

As I said before, NOBODY buys a Hyundai Sante Fe (or any urban SUV) and expects to go rock crawling or mud bogging. 98% of those vehicles never leave pavement. My CRV has 4WD, NOT 4 x 4. I am looking forward to driving it in the snow. It will never go "off-road". Manufacturers build these things as an alternative to a mini-van.

LOL at the last pic..... 2 kids and groceries on a bike! Give me a freaking break! Where does Dad sit!?

I bought my SUV for cargo room and interior space. My wife and I got sick of trying to stuff everything into a tiny HB. Tibbi seems to think I bought the wrong car It's obvious he has no kids. I spent months researching what to buy, and test drove too many cars and SUV's to count. I even got to take home a few of them for a day or two to see if I liked them or not. I looked at interior space, reliability, safety (that was a big factor), and re-sale value. (I obviously didn't buy a Hyundai) :biggrin: I know I made the right choice.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by pas1216
Tibbi, you're an idiot.
This is likely

You think "rugged off-road" trucks never break down or fall apart?
I never said that. However if you read the post, I said if they were made to the SPECIFICATIONS of rugged off-roader these types of failures wouldn't even be feasible.

As I said before, NOBODY buys a Hyundai Sante Fe (or any urban SUV) and expects to go rock crawling or mud bogging.
No one obeys the speed limit, does that make it safe or legal?

For that matter, you find me one SUV owner, just one, that can parallel park it. And don't give me this garbage of it's an irrelevant test. It's about control and knowing the corners of ones car. If someone can parallel park, they don't need that vehicle.

But since you want to take this personally, here's about 16 seconds of research:

Honda CR-V:

Honda Odyssey:

So much space in that SUV compared to the minivan you (by you own description) need

And gotta have that awd for those monstrous suburbia roads and dangerous mall parking lots.

So lets compare for a moment:

The Subaru Impreza has AWD, just like the CRV.

The Subaru gets 34/35 mpg where the Honda is 22/23.... Not looking good

The Subi passed the iihs with solid green on all tests, the Honduh was "marginal" in several very important categories.....

Subarus are fairly rare and resale values reflect. Honda CRVs are EVERYWHERE!

NEW the Impreza sell for 18.3k, but the CRV starts at 21.1k

Oh, but that Honda does have up to 70.9 cu/ft of space (with the rear seats down). That disgusting, contemptible hatchback only has 52.4 cu/ft. Inconceivable!! Better buy the bigger therefore I can only assume safer (despite a US agencies results) SUV.

LOL at the last pic..... 2 kids and groceries on a bike! Give me a freaking break! Where does Dad sit!?
On another bike.

You sure I'm the idiot here?

Oh, and for the record, being able to reproduce is not a sign of intelligence.

In fact....

Old 08-14-2013, 03:53 PM

Have you looked at the price of an Honda mini-van I'm not interested in spending 40K on any minivan (I'm in Canada BTW, a NEW CRV starts @ 26K +tax, freight etc. ). CRV's are everywhere? Could that be because they are a kick-ass vehicle maybe?? LOL! For what I paid for my CRV (which was used BTW with 9000km's, pretty much new) I could have bought a decently equipped new Dodge mini-van. #1- I refuse to buy a Dodge #2 it has a V6 (gas mileage) #3 Did I mention it's a Dodge? #4 re-sale is garbage (that sounds like another brand I know of )

Subaru? I wanted a Forester or a Tribeca to be completely honest, but again, I'm not spending 40k+ on a family vehicle. As for the Impreza, it`s too small. (I actually did look at it while drooling over Forester`s and Tribeca's) The 20 cu/ft of storage missing in the Impreza compared to the CRV is cargo height, which is what I need/want. As for Subaru's being rare???? Whatyoutalkinboutwillis!? I see them EVERYWHERE where I live. Must have something to do with this......

I live Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The average yearly snow fall for where I live is OVER 7 ft (this is no joke, Google it). The record is a little under 14.5 ft in one year In a storm, snow can accumulate faster than they can clear it. Still questioning why I want 4WD/AWD?

edit- I want to see you and your wife bike home with 2 kids and $200+ in groceries in hand (my average grocery bill for a week). That would be an awesome sight
Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM

Gawddamn canajia is cool

I just gave you an AWD option and posted factual data. If you need that extra 15 cu/ft of storage (with the seats up, since you want to tout the child coinage), it's called a luggage rack. Amazing inventions that, wish someone had invented one sooner.

This still doesn't explain why you're waxing all butt hurt on a Hyundai forum, in thread about a fwd faux-truck no less, because someone posted an opinion about said vehicles. And feel compelled to brag about buying a bloated, over priced Honda based on "facts" that fail to exist. But lets get back to the bit about feeling defensive and butthurt.... what, lets not. It's a Hyundai forum.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Santa Fe

Im happy with my Santy but it's not a 2013
Old 08-14-2013, 05:21 PM

I'm sorry, you posted in the topic first, I disagreed and rebutted. (it also goes back to our discussion in the shoutbox) Now you have no rebuttal to my post so you resort to Canada jokes, and telling me to GTFO? LOL. Typical dumb-ass American. Last time I checked this is an OPEN PUBLIC forum.

edit- BTW those luggage rack / storage containers destroy your gas mileage.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:50 PM

I didn't realizing calling someone out on their inferiority complex was a joke.

Or is misconstruing my sarcasm as jest just part of the coping mechanism?

Yeah, we had this discussion in the shoutbox, you thought a viable end to the argument was calling me out as an geek. Cool story bro. Apparently that's relevant to the argument. My first post in no way called you out, you just felt threatened and had to fight back. Now who's being immature.

As for the luggage rack, it's not going to drop my gas mileage from 35 to 22.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It might drop it from 35 to 29 though. 2 minutes of googling taught me that roof racks can give 5-12% fuel economy penalty when empty, and 20-25+% fuel economy penalty, when loaded.

Here's an idea: how about we all agree to disagree on vehicle design philosophies. Car makers make different models because different people want different things from their cars. This story is news because it happens RARELY. They design a car to meed the estimated average user's requirements plus a margin for safety and another margin for the lawyers. Sure, you could have a Dana 60 on both ends of a Santa Fe, and a bigass transfer case and a 727 behind a carburetted 318 . . . but you wouldn't get over 15MPG on a downhill with a tailwind, and you would NEVER get past California emissions testing.

Q: What do you call a mouse designed by a committee?

A: An elephant!