Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Need help from the Engine gurus

Old 07-04-2002, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help from the Engine gurus

Okay, heres what i am doing. in about three months i am going to have a nice amount of money. i know what i want to do. Engine + tranny swap. heres the thing. i dont want to put a hyundai engine into the car. i want a total sleeper. something that will only require me to change the above mentioned items. i want it to be FR still. but i want an engine that can spank a maxima and a wrx. i wouldnt mind a v6, but dont want a doul exhaust. want a sleeper look to it. so i guess that i need to know how many cubic inches are in the engine bay itself. what engines would be able to fit, with tranny. of course i am going manual. nuff said. so if anyone could help me out i would appreciate it. and to those that are going to tell me to get another car because of the expense, dont bother to reply. this is my car. i do what i want. so thanks in advance for those that can really help me. this IS a serious project.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:37 AM

How much money we talking?

What is wrong with keeping the hyundai engine? That would make it a total sleeper even when they do get a glimpse under the hood.

You do realize, it will potential cost more money to put a new engine in then just upgrade your current one.'

2000 Avante? You got 600hp potential in that lil rice cooker smile.gif

I have seen them put a sonata v6 into 1st gen tiburon. So you should be able to put a tiburon v6 into the elantra, and 6spd yum smile.gif

Tiburon 03 can spank any maxima, maximas are slow and heavy and for pimping not racing.
WRX you will spank off the line but once it starts boosting, it is gone.

But to be honest, if you got enough money you can do anything. I seen a viper 10cyc engine in a dodoge caravan smile.gif

If ya dont want the BETA engine or the Hyundai V6, I would say either a small block camaro or a Evo Lancer engine.

It would probably be cheaper to buy a faster car and body kit it to make it look like an elantra v

transplanting an engine would be.
Cost of the engine plus transmiission.
Cost of fabricated engine mounts for the engine to fit in the car.
Cost of new axles.
ECU and wirring system stripped and put in the new enginemangement.
Cost of new suspension to handle the different sized engine (if going v6 which is ane asy 400 pounds more on your front end)

You want FR car? Front Engine? Rear Drive?
possible, but again, not with a hyundai engine. They are designed for FWD.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:41 AM

quick little tid bit shadohh.

my boss has a 2k2 maxima.
my friend has a wrx. 2k2 as well.

my boss spanks him every time.
the wrx has a little advantage if one knows how to spool the turbo when launching. oh yeah, the wrx is stick and the maxima is auto.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:47 AM

my bad, i meant an ff.

i will have at least 10k coming to me.

if i have 600hp available, someone please tell me how without blowing up my engine.

except that i would definetaly want to change the tranny to manual.

thats about it. how much would components be, lets say for the lancer evo engine. we arent talking about the os or oz are we? i hope not. i can beat an oz stock. i was honestly thinking about an integra engine, or something to that effect. i just want to do something totally original. and still keep the overall oriental flow. dont want no inbred hick-korean car. thats a hybrid i can live without. if you can expound on your previous thoughts i would be greatful.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:25 AM

tidbit or not, Well, if the WRX is getting spanked that guy just does not know how to drive stick smile.gif

US Lancer is not the real lancer is a crappy FWD car.

I am talking the big the bad the rally version not avilable in the Us cause we suck with 280bhp and awd, and slick agreesive 4door sedan smile.gif

Thou we are suppose to be getting it next year.

But why put that in? the engine alone will cost ya 2-3k even from a 94.

But I doubt you want or can handle 600hp, or 500hp, or 400hp, 300hp, maybe....hell 200hp makes our car damn quick.

Change out the rods and pistons, you are good for 250/300hp. Once you have achieved that, you can look into getting more. But I would get use to those kinda power levels first.

Ross, Arias....you can find pistons all over. and conrods are all over to.

Use the search button. You engine is the most talked about on the board.

Hell your stock engine is good for 10psi smile.gif
that will net ya 220hp AT THE WHEELS
Old 07-04-2002, 12:00 PM

dude i would build the BETA to handle mad boost and just use that. that would seriously be bad ass. i think you can get like 400whp with a madly boosted BETA.
ANd it would still be all hyundai. which no matter what will be a sleeper.
Old 07-04-2002, 12:04 PM

well the guy driving the wrx has been driving stick for 5 years now, but i still have my reservations about his ability as well!

so, if i hear you correctly, just changing the rods and the pistons will almost double the hp?

from around 140hp to over 250hp? thats wild. but what else would have to be changed on that.

and by 10 psi, do you mean for turbo?

and believe me i know how to handle large amounts of power. used to hang out with alot of mommas rich little boys. used to run vipers and 911's. so i can handle it.

i know of the search function, but i had different questions, that havent been really asked from what i have seen. i wanted a totally different thing, but if my engine is really capable of producing such massive power. then thats a different story. the only thing that concerns me, is that if all this work is done. will my engine fry itself out? if i got a more powerful engine, that has been proven to have the capability of that power, and more people have done modifications to it. i guess that i would feel more comfortable.

i guess what i really mean, is that i would feel more comfortable having a higher power engine off the start, than to build up the one i currently have. and risk it blowing on me. then i could do minor mods for a little more hp. and still be in a safe zone for the engine true performance capability.
Old 07-04-2002, 12:10 PM

you should ask Random about the durabiluty of madly boosted beta's. he's the one taht told me about the guys in korea with the 400-600 whp tibs and elantras. smile.gif
Old 07-04-2002, 12:13 PM

i'm waiting for em all. though shadohh has given me something to very much look forward to. thanks you!!!! wink
Old 07-04-2002, 12:32 PM

When I was talking about changing out the rods and pistons. I am talking about those components that would need to be upgraded to run a turbo.

Slap a turbo on a stock BETA and you could do 10psi.

Any more boost , or if you want reliability, you upgrade the pistons and rods.

I have seen a turbo honda beat down a viper. and porsches are rather heavy. You could run a 150shot and out race the porsche till ya hit 5fifth gear at around 120mph, then he would beat ya from high top end.

Basically a turbo is the way to go in little 4 bangers, specially the 2.0L BETA engine.

N/A is 190whp (about)
s/c (170whp)
turbo (up to 600whp in a drag car)