Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

LC Beta II CVVT swap

Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

yeah it was a PITA, but the worst of it is out of the way, its now just niggly sh*t. stocker, the vibration is ALL THE TIME. especially bad on lift off too. i get your drift but nah, its just because its a completely solid mount.

also the front-rear shifter cable is getting sloppy. the bracket is hella loose, i think some bolts have shaken themselves loose. second and fourth gears are quite vague and take a couple of goes.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 AM

fixed the shifter cables, turns out the bracket holding them to the input shaft on the gearbox was missing a couple of bolts.

last night the clutch lost all hydraulic pressure. it had no leaks, all the lines were dry, but the clutch pedal was very light to the floor then spongy on the way back up. i bled the system today and adjusted it, it fixed the problem. however i am concerned as to WHY i had to bleed the system. it was bled perhaps a month ago and i have been driving the car for less than a week, and now i need to bleed it again. does anyone have any ideas as to why this is?

also the exhaust should be getting done by thursday, maybe i will have my hearing back after that :s
Old 07-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You may need a slave or master cylinder replacement/rebuild.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Accent

Originally Posted by Stocker
You may need a slave or master cylinder replacement/rebuild.

some years ago i made my swap from 1.3 carburator accent to beta 1 engine, the hardest part was harness, but i bought all the manuals and started wiring everything from zero, i took like a week, i manage to trick the inmobilizer so i can use any ecu, fuel pump i powered it directly from ignition, i used 1.6 tranny (clutch and disc), 2.0 flywheel, works perfect and the final ratio of 1.6 tranny is quite better than beta 1 tranny, also its easier to fit the engine with the 1.6 tranny since 3 motor mounts fit perfect just have to modify the passenger side mount, a year after i have change to a beta II cvvt engine, just made a few arrangements to the harness about 13 cables change, also ecu from beta II, and change to airflow. i ve being racing with my car many years and had few problems. i also used 1.8 pistons with 2.0 connecting rods, sonata fuel injectors (blue) 290cc. proven in track.

great swap}
Old 11-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

On most English keyboards, above the shift key on the right side, is a key marked Enter. Use it to separate paragraphs. Please.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

MAke sure you follow the HMA service manual for clutch bleeding specifically the part of not pushing the pedal all the way to the floor when you are performing the bleed. If you do it properly and it acts up again I wold suspect a worn master or slave cylinder to be the villian.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 AM

why is it every time someone does a beta swap, they are around the forum heaps while they have problems, post their initial excitement with the car, then disappear for ever? Maybe thats just me... sorry everyone.

Well, lets see. 7 months down the track, and the accent is back in its lonely spot in the garage again. I'll just use dot points to go over a couple of topics here:

-The clutch problem remained, requiring fairly frequent bleeding. As it is, the pedal is sitting on the floor with f*ck all pressure behind it. You guys are right, there's not much else it can be by now. Incidentally spoke to some exedy reps, and warranty service shop owners, and they all gave a knowing nod when i mentioned hyundai clutch hydraulics. Apparently, there are rubber seals within the master cylinder that just lose their stiffness, this allows too much pressure to leak into a secondary chamber? I didn't really go into depth with them (it was at a motor show) but yeah. At least it confirms the source of the problem.

-The solid engine mount snapped. The welds my buddy did on it were pretty sub par, not up to handling the whole 140 hp of raw beta power lolol. I've got another mount made from someone else, its only temp but does the job. Its just a tubular section with flat plate welded onto it, with a nylon inner pressed into it. This is eventually going to disappear when i slot the mounts/change the axles, i'll get all four mounts filled with polyurethane, and get a quality job done for the last time on this one mount.

-There is now a clanking coming from the water pump! I've taken the car off the road because of it, i don't have a working temp gauge so i certainly don't trust water pump noise. I suspect this pump broke because of the abuse it and its pulley has taken in levering the engine into place, and general bumps and bangs. I will have to pull the engine to change this pump though, because there is about 2-3 mm clearance at best between the pump and chassis rail.

-My rev limiter problems are very confusing. The low limit only occurs after periods of light throttle cruise, or just long periods of driving. If you turn the car off for a reasonable amount of time, or just disconnect and reconnect the battery, the rev limiter goes back to 'normal', and you can thrash the car. I took it down to the drag strip and had no problems from the limiter over the whole race meet. This light-cruise-misbehaviour-not-sure-what-rev-limit-we'll-choose-today fiasco led me to suspect an 02 sensor problem, so i replaced it with a sensor from another elantra. This didn't do anything to fix it. If anyone has ideas on this, please chime in. It must be a limp-home mode on the ecu, but my OBD scanner is rooted, so i can't be sure.

So that's basically where i am at the moment. All these problems are fixable - this easter break i'm going to do a rebuild. New master cylinder, light flywheel, possibly a hardcore XTC clutch, re-mount the engine, different axles, possibly a fresh wiring harness with just the ecu connector re-wired (for neatness) using info that was posted up on here recently, new water pump and possibly underdrive pulley. Basically all of the sh*t i should have done in the first place, but hey, you learn as you go. Also, here is a video of the car doing a few runs at the strip. It pulled a 15.09!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8DOGhIP9J0
Old 03-29-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Did you originally have a 1.5 or 1.6L? I am prepping 2 harnesses now a 1.5L (almost done) and a 1.6L. The modified beta engine harness is out and scavenged for the map, crankshaft and vehicle speed sensor to go into the 1.5 harness and thats going in my car. Before thats intalled im doing the same for the 1.6L harness, I was gunna slap it up on the classifieds for $175 but if your interested let me know. Also I can make more in the future for anyone else that doesnt want to do the work, for those that want to I have my beta swap pinout stickied and major updates are coming when these harness are done and my car is on the road.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

just relized your in australia, the harness wont work for you as it is U.S. wiring.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Unless he also buys a US ECU.