Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Engine swap

Old 03-12-2002, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2001 Elantras are MAP based while all 4cyl Tibs up until 2003 Are MAF based. You could use a 2003 Tib motor but not the rest. Well you could use the block but nothing else. Our heads have better valvetrain. Your wiring would not be compatible with the pre-2003 Tib Beta.
Old 03-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Red

All generations of the 1.8L and 2.0L BETA engines use the same mounting points. I have no info on the 1.6L variants, but I'm guessing they're the same as well.

No problem with the swap on that end.
Old 03-13-2002, 02:40 AM

Yes you could use the IM from the newer Beta, I thought you wanted to just swap one in and drive around until the other was finished. Wouldn't you also have to figure something out on the HLA's?
Old 03-13-2002, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Before you go down this road. Some words of warning.

#1. We do not know if a Korean Spec ECU will work with a North American Spec engine/wiring/sensor package. You might try to get an ECU from Korea to "try" to see if the engine even runs, and if the gauges...etc..etc. work.

I would hate to see you put all this time and money into a swap that does not work. In THEORY the Korean Spec ECU should work...In theory...Should....*shudder*

Second...I do NOT reccomend you mess with valve size. Contact David at RPW. He has had extensive tuning of N/A betas. Talk with him as to what mods he reccomends. In all my talks with him, he NEVER mentioned enlarging the valves on any of the buildups we discussed. Even quad TB, crazy cam, bored and stroked motors.

Also, I suggest you pick up "modern engine tuning" from A. Grahahm Bell. He goes into depth on valve size, valve port area, shape, valve seat shape, etc..etc..etc... Larger valves may Not be necessary, and usually are not on 4 valve cylinders, usually only on 2 valve cylinders. Read all you can on N/A tuning small 4 cylinder motors. Call David and pick his brain, and call HVE and pick their brain as well. It might save you thousands in mods that don't work, or don't work up to your expectations.