Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Hyundai Hybrids (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-hybrids-70/)
-   -   Engine swap (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-hybrids-70/engine-swap-2412/)

hawaiibullrider 03-12-2002 10:04 AM

Engine swap

I was just wondering if a tiburon engine block has the same engine mount holes allowing it to drop into a 2001 Elantra GLS. I am not saying the engine mounts.

Hypothetical situation........

I want to build an engine outside of my Elantra then replace it into the car using the stock engine mounts. I know everything that bolts into and onto the tibby engine will do so on the 2001 elantra engine, this has already been confirmed. But does the engine block have the same mounting points on it. I need to know this so I know if I can get a used tibby engine from a wrecked car instead of buying a brand new Elantra engine block.

Suprgtrs_man 03-12-2002 10:35 AM

2001 Elantras are MAP based while all 4cyl Tibs up until 2003 Are MAF based. You could use a 2003 Tib motor but not the rest. Well you could use the block but nothing else. Our heads have better valvetrain. Your wiring would not be compatible with the pre-2003 Tib Beta.

hawaiibullrider 03-12-2002 11:48 AM

I am aware of the MAP problem. Random and I went into detail about that. I will be changing to a Korean ECU anyway and Loosing OBDII. As far as I know the MAP and MAF difference only affects the IM not the whole engine block. As long as I keep it a MAP IM, I will be golden. Just needed to know if the older beta mounting positions on the block were the same. Thanks.

Red 03-12-2002 06:06 PM

All generations of the 1.8L and 2.0L BETA engines use the same mounting points. I have no info on the 1.6L variants, but I'm guessing they're the same as well.

No problem with the swap on that end.

hawaiibullrider 03-13-2002 12:57 AM

Hey RED am I right about the IM and the MAP thing? is it that simple? Just keep an IM from the new beta right? Just to make sure the korean spec ecu is map right? I am mentioning the korean spec ecu that random had mentioned a few months ago that was modified for 30 whp with a cam changeout.

Suprgtrs_man 03-13-2002 02:40 AM

Yes you could use the IM from the newer Beta, I thought you wanted to just swap one in and drive around until the other was finished. Wouldn't you also have to figure something out on the HLA's?

hawaiibullrider 03-13-2002 06:13 AM

The HLA's is what brought this whole thing up. I want to keep the original engine in the car till I am done with the other HLA engine. smile.gif well the entire block and head that is everything else will get swapped. I may get another IM and have onpol have it ported though. And since I do plan on running NOS with it I wont need a port and polished head. But I would like one enlarged a little bit If I can find bigger valves for it. I know I can get steel valves the original size though. I may just go with the original size instead of enlarging them. I don't know how much more NA power I can get by having the valves and such enlarged.

Random 03-13-2002 12:04 PM

Before you go down this road. Some words of warning.

#1. We do not know if a Korean Spec ECU will work with a North American Spec engine/wiring/sensor package. You might try to get an ECU from Korea to "try" to see if the engine even runs, and if the gauges...etc..etc. work.

I would hate to see you put all this time and money into a swap that does not work. In THEORY the Korean Spec ECU should work...In theory...Should....*shudder*

Second...I do NOT reccomend you mess with valve size. Contact David at RPW. He has had extensive tuning of N/A betas. Talk with him as to what mods he reccomends. In all my talks with him, he NEVER mentioned enlarging the valves on any of the buildups we discussed. Even quad TB, crazy cam, bored and stroked motors.

Also, I suggest you pick up "modern engine tuning" from A. Grahahm Bell. He goes into depth on valve size, valve port area, shape, valve seat shape, etc..etc..etc... Larger valves may Not be necessary, and usually are not on 4 valve cylinders, usually only on 2 valve cylinders. Read all you can on N/A tuning small 4 cylinder motors. Call David and pick his brain, and call HVE and pick their brain as well. It might save you thousands in mods that don't work, or don't work up to your expectations.

hawaiibullrider 03-14-2002 02:28 PM

what about the haltec? would I be better off, (less fitment trouble) in getting this one?

haha funny we started talking about enlarging valves when now we may think I got a bad intake valve. frown

Brewhaha 03-15-2002 11:51 AM

The Haltec is a good Option. As is Motec's M-4, Simple Digital Systems Tec-ii, and PacTel's systems. Each have their inherent advantages and disadvantages. SDS is going to have a new model out, the TEC-III. In theory, the TEC-III should provide everything a HalTec does, plus a bag of chips and a jumbo soda, however, it has not been released yet...so who knows what it will really do once it hits the market.