Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

YEA Turbo accent is running!! pics are here!

Old 07-06-2002, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOBERT - i looked at your pics and saw u have a CAI, what kind do u have?
and to lobert and accent1, what is the hassle and cost of putting a turbo in your accent? what kind of gains did you get from it?
Old 07-06-2002, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Pony

Using Ford turbos?

How hard is it to install the *Brains?*

There's an old Sprint Turbo I saw at a wreckers. With intercooler! Can I hook it up to my carbureted Pony? (i've no oxygen sensor) How hard will this be? I'm new to the whole forced induction thing...
Old 07-06-2002, 03:26 PM

Ok by request of popular demand here they are!!

this is the kit and kaboodle turbo from 94 scoupe, intercooler from a 85 svo all pipes custom from saab turbo fuel rail from 94 scoupe, modified fuel lines, relocated battery under intercooler, had too weld turbo to make the wastegate fit so it wouldn't hit crank sensor! and the list goes on!

this a pic of the battery under the intercooler I made a custom aluminum box to hold it!

this shows how I am going to get fresh air to the intercooler without cutting the hood. The plastic cover is from a volvo turbo engine used for the air filter. I am going to run a hose to the inlet through the fenderwell with a blower unit to pump fresh air into it that should keep it cool!

any ? or comments are welcome. The engine is only running about 4 psi right now until the rings seat! I turned the boost up to 6 psi today and I was very happy with the result but! It will keep until the rings are done!

2001accent went for a ride tonight and he said and I quote *this sucker is fast* then I told him how low the boost was!!! Later
Old 07-06-2002, 04:05 PM

so you did internals and everything?
if so how much boost will you be able to run at after the break in period?
also what Horsepower #'s we looking at with this turbo setup?
Old 07-06-2002, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Is that a Zex box I see mounted on your firewall? Boost and Nitrous, you're a sick man. (way to go! tongue.gif )

It looks like an interesting setup, (PITA to make/install), but it has potential!

I'm still trying to figure something out though.

The intercooler is on the driver side, where the battery used to be. Then you show the fresh air intake on top of the intercooler, but state that is your air intake. You are not using your incoming air to cool your intercooler are you? I hope not, as that would defeat the purpose of the intercooler. Sure you would cool down the boosted air, for about half a second, then the hot air from cooling the intercooler gets sucked into the turbo and heated up more, only to be routed back through the intercooler to try to be cooled down...its a cycle that will only lead to ungodly high air temps. If your intake air is somewhere else, and that box top air vent is just for routing intercooler air, I suggest you either get a really powerfull fan, and mount it right on the intercooler itself, inline on the intake tube somewhere or install a scoupe in the hood, or side of the fender. Intercoolers are designed to have some ungodly amounts of air flowing over them (think of 60 MPH air flow). You need one damn good air/fan setup to even come close to equalling 30 MPH.

I would seriously consider installing a hood scoop there, or a scoop in the side of the fender.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:10 PM

Metal Head - The CAI in the picture is just a Short Ram for a Civic from the local Autozone. As far as the cost and hassle of the turbo. It cost me right at $400 to have the manifold redone to accept the turbo, remove the condersor(sp) coil for the A/C, angle the radiator forward in the engine bay, custom downpipe, custom intake tube, all in all about 5 days worth of work. I still need to relocate my battery and add the Intercooler into the system, plus work out a small fuel shortage problem.

Accent1 - how did you handle the fuel shortage problem? I know mine has a returnless fuel system on it. I'm thinking about converting it to a return system. I'm also running about 3-4 PSI right now. Can't wait to turn this puppy up and see what it will do under 6!

Can anyone tell me what all I would need to convert my fuel system to a more *Normal* system?
Old 07-07-2002, 06:41 AM

Ruben= I hope to get about 10psi on this set up! I may and should be able to go as high as 15psi but I will need to have more tunning done in order to be able to support this kind of boost!

I am hopeing to get aroung 200 hp with my turbo and Nitrous setup thats wheel HP if I can get that from my 1.5 on what I have then I will be happy with my set up!

Random= This pic shows where my air filter and intake are at with my massair you can see to the right of the pic where my intercooler is at!
The air cover that is in the other pic is for cooling the intercooler only!!! I didn't want to cut the hood so I could keep my sleeper look! The hose for the intercooler is run into the fender and I will have a blower unit like on an inboard boat at the end to force the air over the fins to cool the intercooler! Therefore I will not need a hood scoup to do what my set up is going to do! I hope you understand what I am saying! I will send you a pic of the finished product when done!

Lobert= Nice work on your set up I have the fuel rail from the turbo scoup with the injectors and Fuel preasure reg to go with it! This is why I have no fuel problems YET!
You need to convert your fuel system to that of the tibby or elantra as they both use the return fuel system! You desperatly need this fuel system to help out with your problem!
Any more ? let me know and we need to hook up where in GA are you at?
Old 07-07-2002, 01:24 PM

I'm down in Hinesville. Please feel free to come down anytime. Better yet, *I Think*, we are gonna have another race night this coming Saturday. So if you want come on down.
Old 07-07-2002, 01:54 PM

Pretty impressive man. Nice job. You should relocate your battery in your trunk. Friend of mine did that with no probs. But like Random was saying the way it looks like you have your intercooler its just being cooled buy hot engine bay temp. Hood scoop will hook it up nice. Still will be a sleeper. Have you thought about a LSD.
Once again good job.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:17 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>accent 1:
Ruben= I hope to get about 10psi on this set up! I may and should be able to go as high as 15psi but I will need to have more tunning done in order to be able to support this kind of boost!</div>so is that kinda boost with low compression pistons and such or is that on the stock internals.