Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

4 cylinder... Dual exhaust?

Old 09-04-2002, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX - now 2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

If you add just a tip, the only problem would be in the winter when you would see steam coming out of one pipe an not the other...

You could add a glass pack in the pipe and have pipes split off afterwards in the rear to make it "look" like a functioning dual exhaust. wink
Old 09-05-2002, 12:56 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Josh:
If you add just a tip, the only problem would be in the winter when you would see steam coming out of one pipe an not the other...

You could add a glass pack in the pipe and have pipes split off afterwards in the rear to make it "look" like a functioning dual exhaust. wink</div>buy a fogger and hook it to it wink
Old 09-05-2002, 02:50 PM

Can some one explain to me what this muffler achieves then...
I could be way off, put doesn't this collect the four exhaust pipes right at the end of the exhaust setup???

Yes I know they aren't street legal... But it could be done.

[ September 05, 2002, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: AccentGSi2001 ]
Old 09-05-2002, 03:00 PM

thats for TURBO carss or cars with a bigger than 1.6 engine... ur not pushing out enough gas to make that setup worth it
Old 09-05-2002, 04:06 PM

[/qb][/QUOTE]buy a fogger and hook it to it wink [/QB][/QUOTE]

ROFL!! That's mad funny!
Old 09-05-2002, 04:27 PM

AccentGSi2001, a pair of those would typically be used for a V8 racing engine, where your only real concern is to have as little restriction as possible to give you the most possible high end power
Old 09-06-2002, 12:24 AM

So what kind of exhaust setup would allow for the most low end power?
Old 09-06-2002, 03:22 AM

Well, the larger your exhaust pipe dia., the more you'll loose on your low end (typically). Also, becuase this world is always a compromise and never one sided, a constricting (as compared to an open exhaust) will give you better low end and crappy high end becuase you don't have the flow capacity of an open exhasut. Pretty much it all comes down to what you want. If you realize the full potential of high end power, you'll have sacrafice your low end and vice versa. This is all pretty much within the confines of N/A tuning keep in mind.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:14 PM

I remember reading about this, i believe it was in an issue of SCC.. a guy did a whole article about exhaust, and piping diameters, and how they affected back pressure.. there's a big debate about whether back pressure is good or 'bad'.. some people say that you -need- back pressure.. other people say that the less back pressure, the better.. i don't think there's ever been any conclusive tests done, so it's all based on who you want to believe..

he did, however give his recommendations on pipe diameters.. i wish i could remember.. anyways, if anyone remembers this article, maybe you could point him in the direction of which issue? i think it might help him understand why this isn't a good idea..

btw.. i went to a muffler 'expert' about getting dual exhaust on my '00 tiburon.. he said i couldn't, because of something.. lol.. i believe it was my gas catch canister, or something? i can't remember exactly what he said, but there was something in the way of where the second muffler would have went.. i know accents are different than tiburons, but it might be a 'hyundai thing' to place them there? dunno if this helps, but it sure is long enough.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:42 PM

i think what your talkin about its like what size diameter piping is best for the horsepoer ranges
unless u get/got Turbo