Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

4 cylinder... Dual exhaust?

Old 09-03-2002, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know of a phyics book on internal cumbustion engines and the like that I can get my hands on and teach myself more about this stuff?
A really big book, then, once I'm educated I can think of some better ideas, lol.
Thanks guys.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:25 AM
Red

There isn't one book, there are many. The phsyics involved in an internal combustion engine are too wide to encompass in a single book.

But yes. Do a search for Random's posts here in the tech forum (see the search button up at the top right?) and look for "books"
Old 09-03-2002, 05:36 AM

if you got a dual exhaust it would probably look like a beetle's exhaust wink No seriously, you don't need a dual. Put a fake tip in if you really want to
Old 09-03-2002, 08:02 AM

I say do it for looks if you want. I'm not sure on the Accents, but you may me able to move the muffler up a couple of inches and then run a Y pipe after the muffler. This way it will be quiet and will not have any adverse effects on performance.

I don't think it's rice. There are a lot of other mods I would call rice, but not this.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:07 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>AllBlackTibby:
I say do it for looks if you want. I'm not sure on the Accents, but you may me able to move the muffler up a couple of inches and then run a Y pipe after the muffler. This way it will be quiet and will not have any adverse effects on performance.

I don't think it's rice. There are a lot of other mods I would call rice, but not this.</div>ditto to this whole quote.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:18 AM
Red

Rice = The addition of a "mod" where form is biased over function.

Rice is not inherently bad, but there is ZERO benefit from running a dual exhaust on an inline engine. Period. If you choose to install a dual exhaust on an inline motor, you are choosing to do so because of it's looks, not it's performance.

All things fully considered, you will LOSE performance with a dual exhaust on an inline motor even if it's built 100% correctly. Can anyone guess why?

Let me give you a hint: pipes and mufflers are made of steel, and steel is heavy...
Old 09-03-2002, 11:57 AM

He doesn't have to run 2 seperate pipes...towards the rear have it split into a Y pipe. Did you resolve the black box thing? Otherwise you could run the pipe up over the axle like on the other side...and I have the exact piece you need for that...mandrel bent...let me know if you ever need it.

Or you can get a muffler the sits sideways on the back with two outlets on either side...don't know what they are called.

[ September 03, 2002, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: HE-MAN ]
Old 09-03-2002, 12:30 PM
Red

But why?

You've still added weight for no performance increase. What is the effective purpose of such a thing?

Again, you have chosen FORM over FUNCTION. If you are all about show, then that is perfectly acceptable. If you are about performance and aren't looking for a points tally at your local car club showing, then it's useless.

On an inline motor, dual exhaust does not provide any benefit.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:00 PM

dont do it.

I guess I dont like form over function.
Guess thats also why i'm gutting out the interior of my car
Old 09-03-2002, 10:28 PM

i agree with red, adding a dual exhaust is a waste of money and performance. Add a fake tip like your other exhaust and make it look like a dual. save your performance and get your look.