Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

4 cylinder... Dual exhaust?

Old 09-12-2002, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'> Not all motorcycles are inline engines... There are a very large number that are V-twins, or a pair of cylinders in a V configuration.

If your motor is in a V setup, dual exhaust is much easier and worthwhile.</div>Just wondering
Old 09-12-2002, 01:50 PM

If the pipe isn't too big, you could go with a dual exhaust. You could go with twenty exhausts with the right piping. Just realize that you dont need big pipes if you go with the dual setup.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:47 AM

It has nothing to do with backpressure. It has to do with exhaust gas velocity. There is an optimal exhaust gas velocity that you need to be within. I believe for exhaust it is 250 ft/sec, and for intake it is 450 ft/sec. Also trying to determine what exhaust size pipe you should run based of of engine size is useless. The reason those Civic's can run dual exhaust or even 2.5" exhaust on a 1.6 liter is because they have higher redline's than us. Go back to the formula in maximum boost and see what CFM your motor puts out at it's peak effeciency then compare it to a Civic Si whose redline is some 1250 higher than ours. Which is also why those motorcycles you talked about where able to run dual even quad exhaust. Their redlne's probably hit around 11 - 13K. so you see it has nothing to do with backpressure or engine size. It's all the about the exhaust gas speed. Well not all of it, there's also timing the exhaust gas pulses so they help with excavation and tuned length headers and a whole bunch of other stuff I'm trying to read up on now. I can easily recomend three books to you guys that would eliminate a lot of these type of questions. Maximum Boost, Supercharged, Four Stroke Performance Tuning. Sorry if this comes across bluntly, It's early and I'm at work.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:44 PM

Don't forget about the New Neon R/T. It comes with dual exhaust from the factory, and its 4 banger. wink
Old 09-14-2002, 12:41 AM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

*Throws $0.02 into the mix)

If I were you bro I'd have TSR make an equal-length 4-1 extractor with a merge collector and then have a mandrel-bent section all the way to the rear and end it with a single Tanabe Racing Medallion. Remember, behind the car there is an area of air that is at a lower-than-atmospheric pressure when the car is in motion. That also happens to be where the exhaust tip is.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:57 AM

If there is no backpressure, then how is the exhaust gas supposed to maintain velocity?