HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Car alarm..

Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Car alarm..

Ok, so we got my car back together finally..but, we cant find out if it works or not.

When we got it, it had an alarm on it. We didnt know this until we lost capabilities to get ahold of the seller. So, needless to say..we have no idea what brand it is..

Well, last time we unhooked my battery it wasn't a big deal, because I found the alarm keychain switch in my console, but now..about a year later..I have no idea where this switch dissapeared to. and after searching for a good hour underneath my dash, around the ecu, we have yet to find a kill switch..I did find one thing though, it's a little black thing, has a connector and then what it's connected to runs to the ecu, it's also zip-tied up, and you can see a couple places the wire was spliced cause they have those little tube wire connectors. It was too dark to take a picture, but it says "TYCO" and "12V" and has a couple different number sets on it, but i didnt think to get these written down.

Can anyone help me? I think it's a viper alarm, my cousin has one, and they had the same horn, and sounded the same when we had them hooked up. we found the kill switch on his, but cant find it anywhere on mine..

Also, there's a black wire..a tiny wire..running from my left hazard light to nothing..we wired it up to the positive terminal, and then they wouldnt go off until we unwired it..any ideas?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

What I would do in your situation is take it to a GOOD stereo/alarm installer and have them sort it out. Probably get a new alarm installed with the features you want.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:52 PM

Yea, That's probably what we'll do..but, that means we have to load it on a trailor, take it down there, unload it and push it in, then rinse and repeat..which is not an appealing idea as it is a nightmare getting that car on a trailor, even with the bumper off
Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Ah, I missed that it wouldn't even start at this point, sorry.

You'll have to look for wires that were cut and redirected through the alarm. Running a jumper wire between those should get you going.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Do you have any idea where those wires would be? my cousins alarm has a blue striped and green striped wires running to his kill switch, but i dont see any striped wires or anything of the sort around my ecu.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:50 PM

update:

Found somethin while lookiing online

We found somethin called a "shock sensor" but we figured it was part of a sub system because there had been one but it was removed before i got the car. I was looking at alarm systems, and came a cross onebrand called "crimstopper" and it uses a shock sensor, do all alarms use one of these? and could it be traced back to where the alarm plugs in?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Most alarms have a shock sensor, but a lot of the time it's built into the alarm control box.

I think you're looking for the valet switch, most alarms have them but some don't. If you've already tripped the alarm hitting the valet switch is unlikely to allow you to drive the car.

I am not sure where to look. What does the car do when you try to start it? You can track down why the car won't start and find the solution that way.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 PM

It just clicks, we know the engine will crank, because i did it manually without anythinhg on it.

Ive had this problem with an alarm before, but i had the switch for it..it's doing the same thing as then, but i dont have the switch.

Would I be able to use the shock sensor, and the TYCO relay to follow the wires to the ecu where the alarm is plugged in?

We also think its probably partly cause the battery, because it was basically bone dry (completely dead) once we finished..becuase it's been sitting for about 7 months.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:55 AM
Administrator

It depends on where the clicking is coming from whether that's dead battery or possibly the alarm's starter disable. I would hook up a jump box or a set of jumper cables and see if it turns over.

The wiring for the starter disable generally taps into the bundle of wires within several inches of the ignition switch. There would be a relay and some wires running back to the alarm box. You could disconnect the relay and solder the wire back together to eliminate the starter disable.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Did you change the crank sensor? I know you got a beta 2 now and that's needs to be changed. Bad crank sensor=no start