Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Timing belt and bent valves

Old 09-17-2002, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup dealer seems to be the way to go, so I have a appt. on Monday to take it in for timing belt and AT service($300+$130). Two questions... there is a tensioner or some pulley plus the water pump. Service guy said with 82k on the car I should change these out too since it will save on labor. Has anyone had trouble with this pulley or pump? And I need AC work done too... should this be a dealer thing too? Will a AC shop be able to handle it? Thanks for the help too!
Old 09-17-2002, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Not sure if any of you remember this. Red and a few others helped me find the problem. I had a timing belt go out on my Accent GT DOHC and it only cost me like $80 for the belt. I had to get it from the dealer at the time, it might be available at local auto stores by now cheaper. It went out while I was driving and I guess I got lucky cause nothing was destroyed. tongue.gif

It was an easy install, just took a little time (3 hours). The other belts are a cake walk, they have to be removed anyways to get to the timing belt. So actually, they really shouldn't charge you extra labor to change those anyways, just the cost of the belts ($10-15). rolleyes.gif
Old 09-18-2002, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JohnGTR, my tools consist of pliers and screwdriver :-) so doing this in my driveway is not a good idea for me. I love the idea of saving money but sometimes its cheaper to spend more now then alot later if I messed something up.