Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Overheating & Smoke

Old 08-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

$50 for a motor for a fan? You could probably get a fan shipped to you for less than that! Come on at least look in the local junkyards, tomorrow is saturday!

For the time being, temporarily wire up the second fan with the wires from the first one and try to go easy on the a/c.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I took the fan out after re-testing it and it didn't work. So I took it out, got the motor off and was going to head over to the parts store to get the motor but thought I would check it one time, just the motor. Low & behold it worked just fine. I was kinda mad but tested it over & over and it was fine.

So I put it all back together. I tested it again with it all assembled and it still was working. Then put it back in the car, and started it up. I also cleaned the connector with some electronics cleaner, then tested that to see if it was getting power, which it was. So.. I plugged it in, and it worked.

I drove the car, let it heat up, watched the fan kick on and keep it right where it should be. As long as the fan is working, it doesn't overheat now. So for some reason that motor was intermitantly not working, and decided to start again. Needless to say I am going to replace the motor just to be safe.

I drove the car some more, same distances as before, parked, let it idle and heard the fan come on right when the temp guage was at the top canter dot and kept it right there so I was very happy with that.

I will say I can get it to residualy overheat jsut a bit. If I drive the car awhile, let it idle, the fan kicks on and keeps the temp where it should be... then I shut it off and wait 30 seconds turn it back on and the temp is just above the center, but the fan kicks on right away and lowers it back to normal.

So what do you think? Everything sound like it's working properly now?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you're in good shape for now. It could have been as simple as a corroded contact inside the motor/fan assembly, but replacing the motor might still give you peace of mind. Drive it for a week and see how the fan behaves.

Residual heat is the reason turbocharged cars need turbo timers to run the coolant system after shutoff. Not to worry, as long as it's not all the way hot and falls back to normal relatively quickly.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:36 PM

I drove home tonight, about 20 or 25 minutes, some freeway at 70mph, so the engine would of been nice & hot. When I pulled in, the temp guage went to right at the top center dot, or maybe JUST a tiny bit above that top center dot on the guage. The fan kicked on and kept it there, didn't seem to go down from there, but I was glad it was just at that top center dot and not 3/4 up. So the fan stayed on for awhile, then shut off, and the temp stayed the same so I shut it off for the night. Does that sound ok? I mean, how accurate is that guage anyway? Is it ok for the temp to be on that top center dot (or a tiny tiny bit above) when it would be hot like that?
Old 08-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

it is NOT a gauge. It is a feel-good meter. Accuracy is 10% of warm & fuzzy.

If it does not go into the overheating range, you're good. Unless your sensors are bad. wink1.gif
Old 08-15-2009, 07:20 AM

and if your sensors are bad and you keep overheating your car you run the risk of warping the head, or in a more severe situation the engine block. Not fun. Thats how my buddy lost his firebird
Old 08-15-2009, 07:25 AM

Well I doubt a sensor is bad since I just replaced both the temp sensor & sender, so I guess that means it's alright and I'll consider the top center dot part of the 'ok' range.