Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Auto-manual Swap Concerns

Old 08-16-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I finally joined the crowed and did the auto-manual swap!
To give you a little background on my mechanic skills, or lack there off. I basically went from changing belts, alternator, and oil changes to a complete engine pull and replacement of transmissions. WOW, a couple times I felt a little over my pay grade but took my time. Well, can’t be a beginner and get something first try :-p so here is my little hick-up list:

1) The release lever on the clutch does not want to pull back when you release the clutch pedal. (i.e. you press down on the clutch pedal, which feels extremely easy, and the release lever pushes out. But when you release the clutch pedal the release lever does not want to return)

2) The passenger drive shaft has me a little concerned. It is not nearly flush appearing like the driver’s side drive shaft. I am using the automatic drive shaft because a couple DIY’s mentioned they would work.\
Passenger Shaft

Driver's Shaft

3) My last biggest concern is after a couple of starts ball bearings appeared on the ground in front of the car. There are 12 that I found. I talked to my mechanic friend that said the automatic tranny uses some check bearings to regulate its fluid. He also said they typically only come out when you drop the pan on the tranny, which I did not do. Plus they were no where on sight till after the start of the car. I’ve browsed the manual and cannot locate any ball bearings usage. Also, hard to tell from the picture but they are completely smooth around, so they appear they did not break from something otherwise there would be a flat edge (possibly).

4) I also have a little concern on the electrical side: I can't get the key out of the ignition after the car is started, only when I unplug the battery. Here a picture where I think the key shift lock plug is, cause its the only one I could find the matches.

Are both front tires suppose to rotate when in gear? Cause the passenger side is not, and if so then the drive shaft is definitely not installed correctly.

Please feel free to yell at a newbie for missed steps! I’m under a time constraint and have to get this car in working order before school, starts 24 of August. No pressure huh :-p.
Thanks in advance for the much needed help!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Did you read the DIY, my post, and everybody else's 3 times before asking your questions? Otherwise you will be banned for extreme n00b-ism.

Kidding.

Where did you get the parts for the conversion? If it was a donor car, did the previous owner tell you it was working?

Clutch lever may be a bad cylinder (master or slave)
Check the end of the axle to be sure the clip on the end in the differential is in good condition. Also maybe push harder on the axle. Give a little tap with a mallet (not a hammer! ) If everything is okay, they just pop in place with a little force applied.
I think I covered the wiring in my conversion post (in my signature)

The bearings . . . I dunno. I had needle bearings in my automatic's pan. If a race just plain broke, the balls would potentially fall out and still look in good condition.