Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Oil Catch Cans

Old 01-17-2005, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the first days I had my Tib, way back in 1999, I was going from the Garden State Parkway (northbound) to the Atlantic City Expressway (westbound). This is your classic "clover" as the two highways meet. Going the way I was, it is a 270 degree, decreasing radius turn that most cars can take at 45 and I can take at close to 80 in my tib (gets a little hairy at the end though).

Anyway, I flew through this clover and just as I got back onto the car at the end (on the AC Expressway) This HUGE cloud of oilsmoke erupted from the back of my car.. billowing out of the exhaust. I thought I had toasted the engine it was so bad.. In reality, it cleared up in a couple of seconts as the sideways acceleration ended... but you can just imagine the amount of oil my car must have ingested through the breather to make that much smoke.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well if he said fluid ounces I would've known what he was talking about. smile.gif I'm more used to hearing about "12 ounce steaks" and such lol.

This actually occurs with high-RPM runs and with low RPM high throttle runs. So if you do a lot of city problems this could also be a problem with you even if you don't floor it wherever you go.

Your right, I usually don't push my Tibby too much. I don't know if this becomes a problem with higher mileage engines or not since my engine is fairly new in both the GSX and the Tibby. But even then, if thats the first time you've opened up the Throttle Body since you've had the car, your not performance-orientated. I guess for me taking an hour or two to tear down the exhaust and clean the exhaust ports of carbon isn't that much of a waste of time. For others that work like most of you other guys, that stuff can build up a lot over time.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:07 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (hamhead)
But even then, if thats the first time you've opened up the Throttle Body since you've had the car, your not performance-orientated.

Nope, I certainly wasn't performance oriented when I started. And everyone starts somewhere. Also remember, my car was in storage for 18 months while I was in Korea.

If you like to open your stuff up and clean it all the time, great. I'm putting a catch can on mine, and I won't need to open it.

But, on the other side, if you don't push your tib, I guess YOU aren't performance oriented either eh?

Right.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:12 AM

see, I have never opened up my intake or exhaust.. but I consider myself performance oriented. I have just never had a reason to even consider touching those particular parts until now.

Remember, this does come from a person who burns through a set of tyres a year.. performance tyres.. but rarely if ever "Smokes them"
Old 01-17-2005, 10:21 AM

Mad, from what I can tell with how you drive through the twisties, you wear down the sides of the tires from cornering, not the middle from burnouts. smile.gif

I'm sure if you've never opened up the intake, you said your car had around 100,000 miles somewhere I think, you will be grossed to death. You probably have a five-ten horsepower sitting waiting to be cleaned. smile.gif Oil residue can turn a 60mm throttle body into a 57mm throttle body when they get that dirty smile.gif Your exhaust ports for your headers might be icky too.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:35 AM

Now I have a quick question about the can. Does it go inbetween the intake elbow and the valve cover hose, or inbetween the valve cover and the IM hose?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:47 AM

Both of those I believe transport oil back into the intake stream. I, personally, would bypass the one going to the intake elbow (if I'm right that both contain oil). The first one's oil is more prone to sticking to the TB and around the IM. The other's oil would either get pushed into the combustion chamber rather quickly, or come to rest at the bottom of the IM. There is going to be more velocity at the top of the runners, so the oil there wouldn't be as harmful. My car oddly only has the PCV system: only one hose. So this is kind of new territory for me.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (hamhead)
I'm sure if you've never opened up the intake, you said your car had around 100,000 miles somewhere I think

Mine? Mine doesn't even have 50,000 yet.

Ultra, it goes between the valve cover and the intake corner tube, that line that runs in there.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:44 PM

Hey Redz would you mind explaining why? I thought it would have gone inbetween the valve cover and the IM hose simply because that setup is pulling off of the valve cover while the other one that you said it should go inbetween is blowing into the valve cover. Hope I didnt make that too confusing.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:54 PM

Was talking to Mad, Redz. smile.gif The one that Redz suggested is taking extra oil off the crankcase and sending it back in to the Intake stream to be burned so it doesn't put pressure on the inside of the engine. However, The amount of oil being sent through is not going to kill the inside of your combustion chamber. It might make a small octane difference in your octane once every few miles. There are worse things getting into your combustion chamber than oil.