Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Oil Catch Cans

Old 01-16-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyosung GT650
Default Oil Catch Cans

Is it worth putting 1 of these on a N/A 2L confused.gif
http://www.kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=85&ai_id=836
Old 01-16-2005, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I would say its worth it. The catch can removes the oil before it is recirculated into the throttle body and burned up as it passes through the engine. It would keep the internals cleaner, and I seen what the pistons look like (I can send you a pic of one if you like LOL) smile.gif.

I am not too woried about this engine, but after I build the one on my stand, it is definitally getting a catch can.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:43 PM

Yes, I think it is..I have a small air filter on mine but it leaks a little oil. A catch can would prevent that.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:57 PM

It basically keeps the intake manifold and TB clean of oil. It also keeps the octane of your gas high, oil mixing in with it lowers the octane. A catch can is not really needed on naturally aspirated. You might get a drop or two of blowby a week. On a turbocharged engine, its a different story.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:56 PM

QUOTE (hamhead)
A catch can is not really needed on naturally aspirated. You might get a drop or two of blowby a week. On a turbocharged engine, its a different story.

I have one and it fills up every 2-3months. Yes, it is worth it. Look on the web, there are many how-to make your own catch can with 20$ worth of home depot parts.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:57 PM

I have a catch can. I love it.

There might be something wrong with my car thoug. I get about 2 ounces of cappachino looking stuff in there every month. I kind of looks and smells like gas + oil.

I don't know why......

Glad it's going in there and not into my throttlebody.

You can kind of see it in the intake pic in my car domain link below.

I bought it for like $5 at walmart
Old 01-16-2005, 11:18 PM

2 ounces? Ounces measure weight, not volume of liquids I don't think. I hope you don't get two ounces of oil, thats a crapload of oil LOL.

Its not really needed... I cleaned out the IM and TB when I bought the car, and 5500 miles later its still spotlessly clean. Most of the oil blowby enters the combustion chamber and gets burned... lowering the octane of the gas its around. Its not enough to promote detonation in any naturally aspirated car, well a Tiburon in the United States/Western Europe anyway. High output V8s might find a need for it. More unused oil in the crankcase = more blowby.
Tearing down an engine and you can find plenty of things that are going to do more damage than a little smidgeon of oil.

I can go to the track in my GSX, and after several hi-RPM runs, I can fill one of those small things you fill every 2-3 months five times over. It is necessary at the track, because I'm running a crapload of PSI at the track and any small slippage in my octane is going to cause me to detonate and do an extreme amount of damage.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:48 PM

DIY Oil Catch Can here is a cheap and simple one. fing02.gif
Old 01-16-2005, 11:50 PM

That's a pretty inexpensive upgrade..gonna have to do this one..tired of replacing filters on my crank..lol
Old 01-17-2005, 12:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (hamhead)
2 ounces? Ounces measure weight, not volume of liquids I don't think. I hope you don't get two ounces of oil, thats a crapload of oil LOL.

Its not really needed... I cleaned out the IM and TB when I bought the car, and 5500 miles later its still spotlessly clean.

First off, you've never heard of Fluid Ounces?

Second off, YES, it's VERY needed. When I swapped my TB for my BBTB about 10K ago, there was a thick ring of stuff in my TB. Not to mention, look in them hoses that go from your valve cover to your Intake.

Ugh.

If you don't have stuff in there, you aren't pushing your car very hard.

Anyways, Faithofadragon has a simple DIY catchcan on his elantra, and with the stuff he's got in that thing in just 2 months, I wouldn't want that gunking up my injectors and who knows what else.

VERY worth it, if you love your engine.