Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

new motor gona na tune.. no more FI for me.. what can i do?

Old 11-22-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AEM Bypass Valve: Sound vs. Integrity

okay i've got a 2001 tiburon 5 speed with act stage 3 4puck clutch... 48,000 miles blew the motor yesterday... gota new motor today... well 13,000 miles but newish... also have a spare head with 15,000... what SHOULD i do for more power? loved the power of forced induction but causes too many headaches.. also only a 4 year old car with onyl 48,000 miles and already on my second motor... want to keep this motor for a BIT longer than 48,000. also i can't stand being stock slow again so i need to do something to satisfy my need for speed...(corney i know but the speed bug itches still)

-already know i'm ordering the headers... 4-1 or 4-2-1? what's better?

-got another catback exhaust on the way... old krd one is comin off cuz it was welded on when i had the cat removed... and i want EVERYTHING to bolt on... so i ain't gotta go through the whole muffler shop hassle again and worry about leaking welds...

-ordered an aem cold air intake

-are there any cams out there? i heard the 1.8 cams do a lil something something

-cam gears? now was up with our non tuning friendly cam set up? 1 main sprocket atached to 1 cam at one end at the other end another sproket chain linked back to the other cam...

-light weigh crank pulley? harmonically balanced or a waste of money?

-underdrive pulleys... once again harmonically balanced or a waste of money?

-since i gota spare head.. is it worth port and polishing? are there any valves and valves springs i can put in so i can rev higher? cuz 6750 is a bit low...(former honda tuner where y could rev up to 7900 with no problems)

-are there any head swaps we can do? like hondas can swap heads to create more power...

-nitrous? how much can i squirt? 35? 50? 75? remember i want this new motor to last

-intake manifold... is it worth the 600 bucks?

-bbtb.... how big and can i keep my cruise control and does it make a difference.

-also 10.3:1 compression ratio.. what can i do to raise my compression to 12:1? generally speaking higher compression on na is better than lower compression hp wise

also i'm new to the na tuning of the beta motor... is it responsive to bolt ons? cuz it sure as hell was reponsive to forced induction... maybe too responsive...

and if i've asked questions taht have been asked over and over again.. my bad thought i'd be helpful to me and OTHERS to have it all under one thread.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: 18" Rims possible or not?

That's alot of questions...the AirRam is worth the $600, espcially if you're gonna go turbo and, of course, you'll need a BBTB to go with it. Pullys are nice and so is the 1.8 cam. The biggest power gainer that you mentioned other than the turbo or nitrous, would be the AirRam..good luck
Old 11-22-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Winter Virus

you'd need a nice flowing headjob, the beta head is terribly restrictive, also the other weakness is the ECU. If you have the money to go standalone do it. Because you'll have to advance the timing. 12:1 pistons should be ok. I believe you can get the tigerlilly relatively cheap. Id go with more agressive aftermarket cams. The 1.8 intake cam will help some but wont deliver substancial longterm power. Try to get soem 272's. Next is your intake. Id go with the Air Ram and a 61mm TB. Col97fx is designing one and iceman just came out with a 61mm i believe. Grab one of those. Then you'll want to get an AEM intake. Your clutch should be fine. As for headers, get into the maintec 4-1 header group buy while you can. They are probably one of the best out there. The exhaust question is easy. Get the Mussa exhaust that just came out.

I think I hit most of what you'll need to do. Let me know if i missed anything. smile.gif
Old 11-22-2004, 07:53 PM

Default Re: new motor gona na tune.. no more FI for me.. what can i

The Beta does not respond well to NA mods. The basic bolt-ons will net you some gains but dont expect to see gains compare to the other H.

Why not take your new block build it for boost (airram, BBTB, FMIC) and maybe turn the boost down a bit......your problems could have been b/c you were running too much boost on a regular basis......build it right and turn the boost down a lil, and your motor should last at least 60-70K.

and then once your new engine is in and running well you can work on building a spare JIC....
Old 11-22-2004, 08:05 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Re: FS: 98-01 INJEN CAI brand NEW

Well I haven't heard or seen anything with a really high HP rating on an NA BETA setup. So good luck with that, I really want to see an NA put down some power. i'll just reply to the things I know about.

4-1 or 4-2-1 - been covered alot but it depends on where you want the power. Autotragics normally use the 4-2-1 due to the broad powerband. 4-1 helps in the higher rpms hence the reason autos don't use it.

1.8 IntakeCam - Elantra one works, gives your exhaust a better sound and a small bit of power. There are also others on kspec that may be better but I dunno.

Nitrous - I think it was agreed that a 75 shot was the biggest you could go stock. Changing your C/R will prolly lower that though. There is thread under "Power Adders" about that.

Intake Manifold - People have talked non-stop about gains with the AIRRAM

BBTB - biggest you can go is 62mm me thinks. There was a thread on that but it was a while ago. I know 68mm-70mm is too big.

C/R - pistons are you're best bet. I think we're trying to get a weisco piston GB going check that out.

And as for responsiveness check out tibwrc's post
Old 11-22-2004, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: New Guy Here

I'd turbo a newer Beta, and do it RIGHT.

NA is a joke, really. You'd be lucky to get 175HP.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Winter Virus

wow damn thanx for all the replies so quickly... i apreciate all the answers.. but forced induction is out of the picture for me... i've already sold my turbokit... and i think i'ma just hit up the show scene instead of going for power...

I'll probably just get the new motor in and just slap on the bolt ons... 4-1 headers... catback exhaust...... does injen make an intake for my car? It sure would be nice to have that nice chrome intake... and maybe a zex nitrous kit for that once and a while happy squeeze of go. i already got the big huge heavy system in my car... i'll finish that up... hit up the shop for a bodykit and a paint job.. install some seats... and do other worthless no risk parts... anyways speed kills lol .

put thanx for all the input anyways.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Re: New Guy Here

Injen does make an intake but AEM is better. Injen has the filter in the engine bay while the AEM locates it in the fender where it's shielded.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:12 AM

Default Engine Pulsates...

i think i'ma go with the injen one.. looks ALOT better... loving the chrome idea... if only aem made a nice show quality chrome one
Old 11-23-2004, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Best car game??????

feul pump and fpr too.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?name=Fo...light=fpr#25795