Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Motoria catback and headers installed with pix (NO56K)

Old 02-20-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

QUOTE (Denisst99)
all headers and "straight trough" mufflers set-up i've see nand heard on a tibby have the "buzzing" sound,
the header is the cause...
in my accent, i had a custom 2.5" mandrel cat back with dynomax super turbo muffler and 30" long glasspack and stock manifold/cat
car had a very nice deep sound,no buzzing
installed the now ungettable Key header and had a very annoying buzzing soud
added cams later that year and to my surprise the buzzing sound dissapeared
boy was i pleased!

anyone else had this problem?? ^^

Congrats on the sweet deal for E/H ($365) OP, I'm getting a similar deal but an MBRP instead. Hopefully it won't buzz at highway speeds and higher rpms...time will tell.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:40 PM

Thanks man. I'm pretty sure that a nice resonator can solve the buzzing problem. and the problems are usually causes by the header...
Old 02-20-2005, 10:43 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

i don't think the buzzing will go completely out with the resonnator...
i have one of the longuest/biggest dynomax makes and when i installed the headers i had the "bubble bees" symptom like few others....
Old 02-20-2005, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Hmm even then flanges shouldn't cost much, maybe $30. The guy did mine on the Tib and Mitsu for free.

Buzzing is mainly the quality of the header. The reason why you hear some cars buzz and not others is because some companies make the headers more thin for cost saving and such. Higher quality headers that are thicker wouldn't do that at all or not as much.

I have a straight through muffler on the Tib with no buzzing at all. The material on the tip and the actual muffler itself is not thin like some you see. I don't know why thinner material buzzes, but it does.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:48 PM

Well, some buzzing noise is coming from a pipe hitting against the metal right now, so some of it will be elliminated and I really hope that a high flow cat will elliminate some more buzzing, and if that doesn't help then another resonator will go in. The catback comes with 12-16" resonator, I guess it's not big enough.

Ham, if the flanges will be another $30 it adds up to the cost. And as I mentioned before I don't have that much money to play with right now.

Btw, the muffler has a real muffler material as well and so does the resonator that I have, so it's a good quality exhaust.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:51 PM

OP. are the Motoria headers the same as the OBX...
did you have to modify for any O2 sensors or they came w/ bungs..?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:53 PM

Yes, it's the same thing.

There is 2 bungs, one in the header, and one in downpipe, but if I get a CEL for the reason of not having any cats, I'll get a high flow cat, and will add another bung after it and will exted the wires from second o2 sensor.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:01 PM

Oh I get it, so originally there is one sensor in header and one in downpipe....
if you want to keep cat with H/E set-up you need to:
make new bung after cat
extend wires from downpipe sensor to new bung
what do you do with downpipe bung...? you leave header senosr where it is right..?

sorry for OT OP (<lol) but I'm going to be doing this in a couple days and want to figure out what I'm doing before I jack the car up (luckily I know a guy who invited me any time to use his car lift although it's a PITA to get under at first since my car's lowered...)

thanks for help bro
Old 02-20-2005, 11:22 PM

no problems at all man, I'm always glad to help people smile.gif

you will have to plug the hole in your downpipe with corresponding size bolt, I believe it has 18mm or something thread. Then you put a cat right after the downpipe, weld a bung after the cat, then put your second o2 sensor in that bung and extend your wires smile.gif simple smile.gif
Old 02-20-2005, 11:26 PM

Sweet! ^^^^
easier than I thought.
Luckily (again) another guy is knowlegable in welding and is willing to teach me how....The NW Hyundai guys up here are awesome (always helping each other out) even if they do drive GK's...!!!

Kinda like this site(w/o the Gk part), thanks OP...
once we have out set-ups in and the way we want them (sound/performance) we should both do sound clips and compare....just an idea.