Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

KORE Cai....

Old 05-11-2001, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KORE Cai....

Anyone have the KORE cai?? I just got the pricing and a picture of it (so pretty), but I was wondering on the performance of it??
Old 05-11-2001, 08:03 AM

I saw one at the carlise car show and I think for the money they charge it's not worth it I mean for over $2 bill you don't even get a complete pipe THATS NUTS it's pieced together with rubber. If you like it thats cool but that part is not for me (I mean theirs I still want a cai)
Old 05-11-2001, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Jaws99-

Dude, I just have to BLAST you on this one. You have no clue what you are talking about, or what the CAI market is like.

The KORE CAI is "pieced together with rubber" for a reason.

#1, it's silicone hosing, not Rubber
#2. That is there so the pipe can move and flex as the engine moves.
#3. Due to the design of the unit, you really cant have it bend the way you need it to bend and have it in one piece. There would be 3 complex bends and 2 or 3 simple bends, in a tube that would start out about 6 feet long!

If you think you can do it, and have it done for under $200 in 3" pipeing, be my guest. I will buy the first one!

The KORE design is in it's second generation. It has been test fitted on many different cars, it's been Dyno tested to produce 3 WHP. Per KORE, the Motorola Cup Racing tibuon's use KORE CAI's.

If you look at "what you get" for the price, it is a "market" price. There are cheaper intakes, but most are around $200. Iceman intakes are not even REAL CAI's, they are silicone, not metal, and they Start at $165!!! (they don't make they them for the tibby's). (Some may argue that the Silicone is better than metal, but that's a different debate.)

Unless you have tried a product, and tested a product, please don't knock it. Unless you've researched the marketplace, don't say it's expensive.

Bottom Line, KORE'S CAI's are well designed and competitively priced.
Old 05-11-2001, 12:04 PM

thanks guys for the nice comments. We have designed the intakes with the technical help of Hyundai Motorsports. The dyno in OHIO showed a gain of over 10 hp... We will have more numbers soon.

1. Random is right. there is no way outside of plastic to get the angles in one tube. the machine wont bend 90's that close together
2. silicone is fine to connect them. thats what holds all the top drag cars together and they run 40-60 lbs of boost
3. our silicone is made by the people who make them for HKS and GREDDY
4. Our tubes are bent and polished to some of the highest industry standards
5. We set the pricing to be competitive in the market.
6. We are getting ready to start exporting to KOREA and Europe
7. We are working directly with the factory on their new project cars.

for more info, e mail me any time......

I appreciate the chance to respond to the question and to explain the products.
Old 05-11-2001, 02:19 PM

Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner

man Jaws99, why don't you visit THC, they give almost the same info you do... j/k with ya , but for real, please next time, research before you answer... thank you
Old 05-11-2001, 02:48 PM

Two questions about the CAI. How much does it weigh, and why isn't it made out of plastic? I would think that the metal tubing would be more likely to absorb and retain engine heat and if they were constructed out of some kind of plastic I would think that they would be much cheaper to produce and sell.
Old 05-11-2001, 03:03 PM

hey guys, so the kore cai is 200 even? and is it easy to install? oh yeah do they make it for y2k tibs? sorry guys, i ask mad questions, imma newbie, u can tell. thanx
Old 05-11-2001, 03:04 PM

oh yeah and wuts da difference between horsepower and wheel horsepower?
Old 05-11-2001, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Plastic would be a decent materal execept that most plastics do not like heat. Over time, they weaken and brake down. Not a good thing in your CAI.

The plastic that CAN withstand heat (look at your valve cover) is expensive compared to metal, and darn hard to work with. It has to be moulded, you can't really make it into a tube. There are very few companies that make products out of this kind of plastic, and the "mold" costs are astronomical. Those are costs you would have to come up with up front, before you have sold your first product. Not many people or companies can do that. Not even AEM sells plastic intakes, they cannot afford a product of sufficent quality materals and workmanship, if they could, it would be priced out of the market compared to the metal units that can be made faster, cheaper, and easier....

The reason the KORE CAI is priced the way that it is, is that it is the "market" price. If you look, 95% of CAI's are between $150 and $250 dollars. There is also the Research and development costs that must be recooped, plus the fact that a company deserves to earn a profit. Otherwise, why do it? No one is going to make Free CAI's!!!!

The weight is really a non issue. Maybe 5 pounds. The stock Airbox and resonator weight about the same, if not more!

Wheel Horsepower is the figure you would get from a Dyno. If you ran your car 100% stock, then ran it with the CAI on, you would see a 3 HP increase. There is a bigger increase at the engine, but it cannot be accurately measured.

I use 3 whp because that is the figure that has been proven with a Dyno. Stock vs KORE CAI. KORE says they have a 10 WHP dyno run, but until I see the dyno posts, I'll stick with the 3 WHP. It's not that I don't trust KORE, it's just that if I am giving you guys, or anyone advice, I want it to be base on information I have seen, understand and trust.

Often wild claims are made that xxx Product will give you 25 HP. Then in fine print it will state that it is 25 Engine HP, or 25 HP under certian conditions. I would rather screw the 25 HP number and claim a WHP number that is much smaller, but that anyone can repeat in their own testing.