Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

KORE Cai....

Old 05-13-2001, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner

I'll take your challenge, how about you build your CAI, and tell us how much as you put EXPERIENCE tells you it will make WHP wise... and I'm sure someone here will fall for your experience and purchase one, and once they do, we will chip in 1 dollar, and w/one dollar from everyone that person will have enough to dyno your intake, and we'll see...

I give up, why don't you just build it, and be the only one with it??? I'm sure you'll win shows if you have all 1-OFFS... have fun, making it and having people backing you up...
Old 05-13-2001, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

AllHyundai-

My point is that your intake is going to cost you a lot more than $50. The filter and materals are the smallest part of the cost. The real cost is in the KNOW HOW. If I were to come to your place and ask you to build me a cold air intake for my ...Geo Metro (first car I could think of), if we were buddies, sure you would help me, but If I kept coming back to you, with different cars, sooner or later you would say no, or ask for money. So...How much is your time worth? That is where the real "cost" of a CAI is.

Finally, I honestly cannot believe that you said you don't need a dyno. How do you know 3" tubing is better than say 2.75 inch tubing for CAI unless you try it on a dyno? You won't feel a 2 WHP difference, but a dyno will show it. If you were honestly tuning for "best" performance rather than "good enough" performance, you need a dyno. It's that simple.

In regards to your condemation of "Credit Card Hot-rodders". For some people, they just like modifing their cars by adding things to them. Other people like modfing their cars by creating their own modifications. It is a personal choice. I'm sure when some of these people are 47, they will be doing what you are doing now. But don't critize them for what THEY are doing now. It's their choice and their money, and it's not that bad of a place to start. It teaches the basics, why this Design gives better performance over stock, what this design product is better than the other design..etc..etc..etc.. It teaches them as they are 'bolting on' manufactured parts. As I said...they've got to start somewhere.

And there will always be the people who just drop $10,000 into the edlebrock catalog, then pay some shop $3000 to install it all, and say they modified their car. But they usually show their ignorance sooner or later.
Old 05-13-2001, 04:08 AM

lol. this is great stuff.
Old 05-13-2001, 05:19 AM

RANDOM,
From what I am reading there is far too much emphasis being placed on "dyno testing" and using the results to sell products. I read all about Batlord's experience at the dyno!!You yourself have admitted that you don't believe KORE'S claim of 10 WHP with their CAI! And I haven't seen him use it to sell his product. How did he dyno test his CAI? Was it tested in a wind tunnel dyno with real world driving condition? How does he know that the placement of the air filter near the front wheel doesn't actually get starved for clean air when travelling at speed? Did he take measurements of the air temperature at the filter and then at the TB to be sure that the air is actually cooler? And how much cooler? I have run my car with a metal CAI and it gets really hot in the engine bay. If all of this extensive R&D was done as so many have proposed then why aren't these figures and facts posted along with the product. I have nothing against KORE mind you. I think it's great that he is undertaking supplying the Hyundai aftermarket. You are right, I don't know if 2.75 or 3 inch tubing is the most efficient but common sense tells me that the stock air intake is restricted and opening it up will improve the performance of my engine. Now if your or my homebuilt CAI can give us 2-4 HP would you spend over $200.00 for a CAI that might give you 2-3 additional HP? I doubt it. You know as well as I do that the money would be better spent on other things. And I have to disagree with you on your statement that these "credit card hot-rodders" will eventually pick up some knowledge. What they need to do is to put down that issue of "Hot Compacts & Imports" and pick up an issue of "Grassroots Motorsports". I read about them all the time asking you for information that they could easily get by doing a little investigating themselves. They all want that "instant gratification" and in providing it for them you are preventing them from picking up valuable knowledge about their cars.
Old 05-13-2001, 06:08 AM

like I said before man, I give up...

hey Random, isn't funny, how this guy comes here, and wants to CONTRADICT something that is known to work, not only because it's being done by KORE, but by every single company out there that's making CAI's...

I'd love to see you going into any HONDA forum, and tell them how you can make the dream CAI for 50 bucks... you'll be a millionaire, just like all those millionaires out there that are selling all those DIET pills... good luck man... you won't see me talking on this anymore... 47 or not, you're still way wrong man... and yes, you're wrong cause I say you're wrong, 2 years from studying and learning our engines have told me that you're wrong...

P.S. I'd love for you to go to the HYUNDAI MOTOROLLA CUP team, and tell them that the KORE design that they helped in, SUX, because you could've built them one for 50 bucks, without testing it, cause you know since you're 47...

sorry man... I wish I had the flag in this forum...
Old 05-13-2001, 07:20 AM

BatLord,
You're letting your loyalty to KORE get the best of you. If you read all of my previous posts I NEVER said anything negative about KORE'S or anybody elses CAI. I simply said that I could reproduce the same item for my own use for $50.00 by knowing where to go for the materials used or making them myself. All I am doing is asking questions about their testing methods and what exactly they did to come to this 10 WHP figure. Maybe you can enlighten me. Why not answer my questions about what exactly they did to test the CAI. It's funny but a few months ago I read a post by someone about the KORE CAI that made it sound like they designed it and Hyundai Motorsport was using it on their Motorola Cup cars. Now I find out that Hyundai Motorsports came up with the parameters for the design and KORE produces it. Was this 10 WHP gained on a CUP car or on a stock car? Was it on a wind tunnel dyno? What were the entry and exit air temperatures? And wouldn't polyethylene be a more efficient material, no matter what the cost, since it wouldn't conduct as much heat as metal? Simple questions, how about some simple answers? All I'm looking for is facts to back up all of your blind allegiance to KORE. Maybe you know all of this information, all I am asking is for you or anyone else to share it. I'm sure that the vast majority could care less about all the testing and probably wouldn't even know what you were talking about but a few of us like to digest this sort of information. Everyone started attacking me in their posts but Random is the only one who has attempted to answer any of my questions. I can see that this forum is not for the technically minded Hyundai owner.
Old 05-13-2001, 07:57 AM

*hands everyone a red card*
Old 05-13-2001, 08:45 AM

man, I had written like 2 pages answering your questions and then it gave me an error when I posted and I hit the back button and it had all disappeared, lucky you huh???

Well I'll make it short:

LOYALTY: nope that's not it, if you see my previous post, I said "not only because it's being done by KORE, but by every single company out there that's making CAI's...", I just wish I knew your secret and why you just can't stop talking about KORE and start attacking CAI's in general...

you say you can reproduce one for you for $50.00, then why don't you, I think "Random's special" is cheaper, so you're already charging more then your competition...

"Now I find out that Hyundai Motorsports came up with the parameters for the design and KORE produces it...", I would've though all these years you would know how to read what I say, please stop putting words in my mouth, I said they helped in the design and testing it, does it say anywhere that they designed the whole entire system and KORE is taking advantage and selling it??? NOPE, thank you

Wind Tunnel: NOPE, with all your experience you would know that only F1 cars, have something like this, and if KORE would have used one of these, they would run 500 bucks for a CAI don't you think, since the amount to use one is out the roof... then again, the F1 people should be like you and not even need one, since they have guys that can hit the WHP on the dot without dynoing...

ENTRY and AIR TEMP: nope, sorry I don't know this much...

Materials: nope sorry, better question for Random or KORE themselve...

BLIND ALLEGIENCE: man, you're cracking me up...

"I can see that this forum is not for the technically minded Hyundai owner...", you're right man, you should go to T-H-C, those guys are awesome, and please don't even give us the time of day, at least not me, I'm worthless, and useless...

Old 05-13-2001, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

This has gone on too long and has strayed far from the original topic. This has practically become a flame.

If you guys wanna discuss the merits of materals, testing methods, etc...etc. That's cool. Post it in a new thread.

ALLHYUNDAI (in particular, but this also applies to all Forum Members in the general sense).

You did not post one usefull piece of information, you simply critized the KORE CAI, the aftermarket in general, CAI's in particular. That should be done in the FLAME forum.

If you would like to post up something CONSTRUCTIVE and show people how to build a $50 CAI or whatever, by all means post away. We value you as a member, and the knowlege you bring.

ALL MEMBERS
If you would like to state your opinon on a product or topic, that's fine opinions are like A-Holes. Everyone's got one, and some are bigger than others. Just make sure you clearly state that it is a personal opionion. If you would like to rant in general, as has been done here, take it to the flame forum, or start your own rant thread.

The original question, was simply what is the performance of the KORE CAI. That question was answered. Thread closed.

[ May 13, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]