Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

just finished engine swap

Old 05-11-2013, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tib

Is there a relay inline to the coilpack? ,Timing off? ,A bad relay caused me to have Zero spark once, took 3 weeks to find it, relay showed good with a $100 led tester kit,but showed faulty with a 50 cent small light bulb...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Thanks for the ideas. I am still working on replacing/testing all the sensors and wiring, so I'll post back when that's done. I'm pretty sure that will be very tedious...though once it's done everything will work fine (fingers crossed). But I'm a little more worried about the trans...

Originally Posted by Stocker
you did use a pressure plate/clutch/flywheel/bolts for a standard transmission right?
It's using the same transmission that was previously in the car...fidanza flywheel I purchased a couple years ago.... nothing should have changed in regards to any of that...

I was reading a bunch of clutch DIYs, is it possible I didn't get the clutched aligned properly?
Old 05-17-2013, 04:29 PM

Any ideas on the tranny? I cannot figure out why this would be happening...
Old 05-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If the throwout bearing is not engaged on the fork it will have no reason to push back at the slave cylinder. If the input shaft were misaligned the transaxle would not mount, but the fork not engaging is something you may have to separate the engine and gearbox to find. Disconnect the slave cylinder from the linkage, can you freely rotate the throwout bearing fork by hand?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:23 AM

I know it's a stupid question,but, theres tranny fluid in it right!?
Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: 99 Hyundai Lantra

Firing order should be 1 3 4 2 NOT 1432! Number one is from cambelt end number 4 is gear box end. Coils 1+4 fire together and 3+2 together

check your coil wiring aswell, tacho readings may come from coil not crank sensor.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:08 PM

It's been forever, I've had to take a break from this for awhile, but I'm back on it now! I still cannot figure out why the clutch does not work properly, why it doesn't spark, and why the car thinks it's going 50mph at 3k rpm.

All fuses looked good.

Replaced camshaft sensor, still no spark.

Replaced crankshaft sensor, still no spark.

Tested wires on the harness side of both the crank and cam sensors with ignition on, they're getting voltage.

You're supposed to test the crank sensor with the car running, but obviously since it doesn't start, I couldn't do that. So I tried to test the ohms while cranking the engine (figuring that was the same concept?), and I couldn't get a reading.

So.. My theory was that something was misaligned in the trans, throwing the crank sensor off, and thus no clutch or spark (and could the crank sensor also be responsible for why the speedo/tach are nuts?)

Pulled the trans off... Can anyone verify if these measurements are correct? I successfully replaced the clutch by myself maybe 2-3 years ago, and it was very straight forward. Everything worked, and it seemed like it could only go together one way. I can't imagine what I could have missed... The only thing I can think of is something is different with this engine than my old one? The last step on the troubleshooting chart for the crank sensor say it has to be like 0.0004 inches away from the flywheel or something crazy and impossible to measure, and if it isn't to adjust it, which also seems impossible.

Ideas welcome. Thanks
Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 AM

pull it right off , maybe the splines are too far(streached) from flywheel not allowing engagement?I had this prob,sent clutch back to"BULLY "and they fixed it....Sounds almost internal to me, hows the tranny itself??
Old 06-30-2013, 12:09 PM

Pull what off? The clutch? And that's sort of what I was thinking.. Did you see the measurements I took? Are those correct? Is there any way this could be affecting the crank sensor and also be responsible for me having no spark? I'm not sure what to do next here...
Old 07-06-2013, 05:15 PM

So I'm pretty sure that there is simply too much of a gap for it to engage fully. Is there any way I can verify these measurements? Anyone have any advice at all? Because I really don't know what to do...

Is there something that could be different on this engine? An adapter or something I need?