Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

just finished engine swap

Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default just finished engine swap

... and I've got a few problems.

1. When I turn the ignition ON, it tells me I'm going 50 mph at 2000 rpm, and I also hear a loud buzz noise

2. It turns over, but won't start. Tested on coil, and I am not getting any spark

What did I do wrong?

What order do I put the plug wires in? 1432? (From firewall to bumper)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

You did the beta ii swap, yes?

You should have reused ALL your old sensors. Every last one. This could be why you are getting strange readings from the tack and speedo and why the engine is not firing.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

1432 sounds about right. I would find the source of the buzz first.

Other than that, hmaservice or a chilton's has lovely and thorough spark system test. You basically just check that voltage and earth is getting from the ecu to the coil, and that the leads aren't broken.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM

No, I didn't do the beta 2 swap. Everything should have been really straight forward... I triple checked every bolt and sensor after plugging it in, I really thought it was going to work. I thought the buzzing was maybe the fuel pump trying to send 50mph worth of gas, but there isn't any gas leaking anywhere. So I'm not sure?

I'll try to find that spark test.... any ideas for the buzzing/wrong tach/speedo readings?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 AM

I've looked at all the webtech (hmaservice) articles under engine electrical system and don't see anything for troubleshooting spark... ??
Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

exactly how did you test for the lack of spark?

when you connected the trans back up, did you connect that gigantic ground back to the transmission bolt?

your issue sounds a lot like a grounding problem
Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 PM

I don't know the name of the "device", but one of those wire things that you stick on the coil where the plug wire would go, ground the other end, then try to start the car and watch it.

I'm pretty sure I got all the grounds wired back up, but I will double check that one in specific.

Would I be able to get any info from checking for CEL codes? I'll have to go buy a reader (and then just return it) - is it worth it?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 PM

car has to start for most CEL codes to appear

you can try it, but i think its not gonna help much

also, there is a ground that connects to the firewall, make sure you reconnected that one too

EDIT

just realized you said the car cranks, the big fat ground on the transmission has to be connected if the car cranks over. so its probably not that
Old 05-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Now you've got me scared and second guessing myself...

I did rewire my positive battery terminal, and there was one black wire with a "hook" (or whatever you call it) on the end, like you would use for a ground wire, and even though I'm sure that it was attached to the positive terminal when I cut it, I thought that that was odd... Also, I did drop the wires when I had to walk away for a minute in the middle of this, and I swear I got all the same ones again when I came back, but in the back of my mind I always was just a little weary... I could easily find and point out said wire, but would I just connect it to the ground and see what happens? What if it was actually a positive wire, and when I walked away I grabbed the wrong one when I came back (there are a lot that look like that).... I can't even imagine how I would go about figuring this out if I screwed that up?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:37 PM

dont connect any ground to the positive wire unless you like fires.

take some pics of your engine bay near any important sensors. i can look em over and see if anything looks out of place to me