Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Installing Airram/spacers...

Old 01-14-2006, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I'm installing my Airram and also the spacers that I got from outlaw and was wondering if there was anything special that I should know before hand? Was there something that was a bit tricky? Maybe I'll need something besides just these parts? So, let me know. I'm hoping to avoid repeating any mishaps that others have done. Is it me or does there seem to be more vaccuum hoses on the stock IM than there are plugs on the Airram? I'll be using REDZ DIY for the outlaw spacers as a reference tool. Thanks REDZ!
Old 01-14-2006, 03:39 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

ACTAULLY there are MORE vacuum hose connection on the AIRRAM than on the stock IM. They are all on the back of the Airram. You will need to plug one of the holes in the Airram (on the back left).

And you will need to go to Home Depot to buy some longer hose to extend the iac tubing (big tube that goes from the elbow to intake manifold). You will also need to extend the tube that goes from the PVC to the intake manifold because the stock connection is on the front and the airram connection is on the back.

For the phenolic spacers, it's VERY easy, just do as REDZ DIY says. YOU WILL LOVE THE RESULTS. I just did the Jerome Run (A very intense road here in Arizona) twice and popped my hood...grabbed the runners on the intake manifold and they were ICE COLD!!!!!!! cool.gif

Ya know, I'm getting a new clutch installed this week and am lookin for a reason to get out of town and put some miles on the brand new clutch. Plus I'm already sick of Prescott after a week and a half, I could come out to Henderson/Vegas and do the install for ya (help).

Hit me up.

-patrick g.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

No real problems man, just print up the DIY and go for it.

It's really not as hard as you think it would be.

Make sure you have some different sized ratchet extensions and you might wanna wear some gloves for the dissasembly so you don't hurt your hands.

Patreezy, what do you think of the gains?

BTW guys, me and Faithofadragon will be in Las Vegas either next weekend or the following one.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:41 AM

Finished it up and I'm loving it. I didn't get to add the spacer at the TB but it's not as important as the one at the head anyways. The bolts that came with the Airram wasn't long enough to add the spacer so I'll go without it for a little bit.

As a side note for future reference to everyone you need a longer vacuum hose for the thing on the passenger side of the fuel rail also. It's a bit smaller than the one for the PVC valve. Grab about 2 feet of the big hose for the IAC and 3 feet of the smaller one for the PVC(I replaced another hose also just for convenience it was the one linking to the top back of the stock IM.). Then about 1 foot of the really small one. Jack up the car folks to get to the nuts on the bottom of the IM. I tried in vain to get to them from the top and I was thinking I was stupid b/c I didn't remember any mention of going underneath. Just jack up the passenger side(Thanks Patreezy) and go in from the front to about where the cat is and you'll be able to reach 4 of the 5 bottom nuts that way easily. I found the one furthest towards the passenger side to be easier reached from top.

Anyways, the Airram/BBTB combo is good stuff.

BTW, I meant more holes than lines but I got all mixed up on my original post.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:11 AM

What are you talking about on the bottom IM nuts? Once you get the bracket out of the way, they are EASY to get from the top. I did everything from the top of the engine, and the HARDEST part was getting the IM Brace off.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:26 PM

QUOTE (tiburonmoo @ Jan 15 2006, 06:41 AM)
The bolts that came with the Airram wasn't long enough to add the spacer so I'll go without it for a little bit.

yes they are long enough, trust me i've done it.

And Redz, I dunno about you but reaching down under your intake manifold tunners past numerous vacuum and coolant lines and electrical wiring and THEN reaching that middle bottom nut on a stock intake manifold all from the TOP of your engine is not my idea of easy.

It takes 10seconds to jack up a car, 2.5 seconds to slide under it, and saves you much uneeded stress and small nicks and cuts on your arm if you just go under the car to get to those bolts. I'm surprised you could even get your arm to those bolts from the top Jer, you seen my arms and I can't even do it. lmao.gif

Anyways, glad to hear Eugene, make sure to reset ECU and let us know of any problems. You fell the difference? Sound different?

Go for a drive and hold your hand on your intake manifold/airram. Not even slightly hot. cool.gif

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jan 14 2006, 10:42 AM)
Patreezy, what do you think of the gains

Sorry I just saw this, sorry mang. Any gains I notice would be falsely skewed by my horrible clutch. I do notice the car is more responsive in higher rpms (but then again I am not flooring it I am just easing on the gas slowly to WOT because of the clutch).

I'll let you knwo when the clutch goes in, I'm in the process of finding a place that will do it for my price tag. $350 is just too much for a clutch install, imo.

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jan 14 2006, 10:42 AM)
BTW guys, me and Faithofadragon will be in Las Vegas either next weekend or the following one.

You stayin'? Or just grabbing the tib and leavin? We should htit up Vegas RDT-style. cool.gif
Old 01-15-2006, 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Patreezy @ Jan 15 2006, 06:26 PM)
And Redz, I dunno about you but reaching down under your intake manifold tunners past numerous vacuum and coolant lines and electrical wiring and THEN reaching that middle bottom nut on a stock intake manifold all from the TOP of your engine is not my idea of easy.

Well, if you followed the DIY I did, you remove all those lines and such first. LOL Seriously, that was the EASY part of taking it off. All I did is lean over the fender and whammo, they were all off quick like.

I didn't cut myself at all, but I usually wear long sleeves/coveralls and gloves when I work on somethin for the first time.

Sound different?

I even noticed a tone difference between just the AEM and now with this combo. It's much nicer sounding.

You stayin'? Or just grabbing the tib and leavin? We should htit up Vegas RDT-style. cool.gif

We'll be stayin overnight.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:25 PM

QUOTE (Patreezy @ Jan 15 2006, 05:26 PM)
yes they are long enough, trust me i've done it.

Not mine. I tried it while the Airram was sitting here in my computer room and there was zero thread poking out the otherside.

It takes 10seconds to jack up a car, 2.5 seconds to slide under it, and saves you much uneeded stress and small nicks and cuts on your arm if you just go under the car to get to those bolts. I'm surprised you could even get your arm to those bolts from the top Jer, you seen my arms and I can't even do it. lmao.gif

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jan 15 2006, 06:41 PM)
Well, if you followed the DIY I did, you remove all those lines and such first. LOL Seriously, that was the EASY part of taking it off. All I did is lean over the fender and whammo, they were all off quick like.

I tried and it just wasn't working for me. No big, Just hopped under and it was all right there

Anyways, glad to hear Tiburonmoo, make sure to reset ECU and let us know of any problems. You fell the difference? Sound different?

I reset it and I can feel a difference in the power. I added the Airram + spacers + 62mm BBTB + did coolant bypass. As far as sound though I didn't hear too much of a difference. Just that fake turbo spool up that everyone else mentioned which is quite funny b/c my friend was like WTF?!?!?

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jan 15 2006, 06:41 PM)
We'll be stayin overnight.

What night? If it's saturday then I can't really join up. Well, maybe... just keep me informed and we shall see.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:16 PM

tiburonmoo, there is no way in hell your airram TB bolts are magically shorter than mine.

Are you trying to install the phenos WITH the stock gasket. The stock gasket is THICK. The phenos COME WITH gaskets, that's what those skinny green pices are. Try doing it again with JUST the pheno inbetween the TB and airram. Should work...
Old 01-15-2006, 11:01 PM

Nope, I used just the pheno spacer and the 2 green ones that came with it. Which TB are you using? Maybe the one I'm using is thicker?(ozflow)