Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Headwork, Gains?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

BTW: Are our headbolts torque to yeild?

I dunno what that means, but our head bolts ARE torque to spec and then another 1/4 turn.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

I want to get a factory gasket so. I suppose I could go to the dealer and ask for a beta 2 head gasket? Usually they are anal and want a freakin vin number and all that crap.

I suppose I could just say I need an 03 tiburon 2.0L head gasket.

I would appreciate the measurement if you could denisst.

BTW: I put on the adjustable intake cam sprocket and the highest percentage I have achieved on my SAFC II airflow is 69.1%. I don't think I was able to get above 65 before so it must have worked. It is set at 13 degrees advanced for the intake and 3 degrees for the exhaust. I started out modest, 4 degrees advanced on the intake and 1 retarded on the exhaust, but the way it is now yeilded the largest gain. My idle also smoothed out completely and my misfire CEL is gone as well. I could'nt be happier.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

OT, but, how much do you plan on putting down with this setup?
Old 10-06-2006, 04:38 PM

Well, who knows, LOL. I don't care about horsepower numbers, not once have I gone to a dyno. I just want the car to be faster and thus more fun to drive.

I am hoping for mid-low 14's at the track on a cold day in mid-october (on street tires of course).

I ran a 14.8 with virtually a 2.3 60' so that should be attainable easily. If I ran slicks I might be able to break into the 13's?? Ok, that might be pushing it but... maybe not. I am worried however of breaking things with slicks and not burning posi.

If I am not already at 150 at the wheels something is seriously wrong. I would expect 160 to the wheels when I am finished with the head install and I work out the a/f tuning. That is a reasonable estimate right?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:57 PM

Picked up a few gaskets from the dealer today, figured I would post up the prices for those that might be interested. The prices are rounded up to the nearest US dollar:

Intake Manifold: 13

Exhaust Manifold: 29

2003 dual cam 2.0L tiburon head gasket: 49

And a timing belt: 50

I hope that head gasket will work, they had to special order it so I will get no refund if it doesn't.

LOL, I hate posting so many times in a row but.

Has anyone ever re-used the stock head bolts??

That is my plan, shouldn't be a problem right?

Talked to my machine shop the other day, they are FINALLY getting the manley valves tomorrow hopefully, so my head will be done by next friday (and installed on the car friday night, lol). They said they could only do .5mm oversize due to the fact that the valve seat was already moved so far outward toward the aluminum head. They said they could have done the full 1mm but it would have been pointless. Anyway, I took their word for it as their explanation seemed believable and sounded like it would ultimately result in a longer lasing, more reliable setup. Besides, they will still be undercut stems in the port areas and swirl brushed to help airflow.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:12 PM

The dealer recieved the head gasket today and it looks like it will work (lines up with the engine block and head alignment dowels and ports for coolant/oil). I measured the thickness of it and got .020" when I squeezed the calipers rather hard (trying to compensate for the head being torqued down). Anyway, I figure after I torque the head down this gasket will likely settle in at about .018", meaning it is about .010" thinner than the beta 1 3 layer gasket I got from my 1.8.

How much would that increase compression when coupled with lets say .010" shaved off the head, meaning a .020" total decrease in thickness?

All these parts stocking up are really making me antsy to get this done, lol.

The machine shop should have recieved my valves today, I am going to try to get up there and snap some pics on friday or monday. Pics of the valves and maybe some of the head progress.

I will be sure to post them up for you guys.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:33 PM

Yet another update with no results. Anyway, MANLEY seems to suck when it comes to customer service. Just yesterday the shop recieved only the intake valves. I mentioned to them to try the ferrea valves for the exhaust because manley doesn't have any blanks to machine for another month. WTF manley sure is slow. Hopefully the product is much better than their service, lol. I am sure the intake valves they have done will be quite nice. My shop contacted ferrea and they said no prob, should have the exhaust valves done in the 1mm oversize in about a week, so a week and a half back to the shop max I hope (counting on their customer service being much better than manley's). So work on the cylinder head will finally begin in about a week and a half when the shop recieves all of the valves. They will likely turn down the 1mm valves to .5mm just to keep everything even and help increase airflow. (the actual seat surface will remain untouched, they will only shave the slight amount from the bottom of the valve, less restriction for the air, with the larger seat circle). Hopefully I can get this damn thing done and installed before the track closes this season. I want to get a good time when it is nice and cold outside, lol. cool.gif
Old 10-20-2006, 08:17 PM

I am VERY interested in the result of your work, just keep us posted, you have done very nice so far...
Old 10-27-2006, 04:44 PM

Well, holy shyt. MANLEY came through with the valves after all, the shop recieved them on tuesday. Today they got the seats cut and next week they will do the porting and polishing, along with the milling of the head. They said they already got it cleaned so hopefully it is perfectly silver.

I am getting pretty anxious to see the results myself.

The owner of the shop said he will snap some pics of the valves and the work for me. So I will post them up on the forum when I download them from his computer.

Thanks for the interest and the support.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:46 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

damn lol, good thing you werent waiting this whole time with your stock head at their shop lmao.

Hopefully you see some nice gains, get a dyno so we know what this kinda thing will get you...