Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

dreams of 1.8L in 2.0L block shattered.

Old 04-03-2003, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red:
The very first BETAs had the chain guard over the cam chains; they stopped that very shortly after the engines came out. My original motor still has it; my new(er) one currently in the Tib does not. I have no clue what it was originally there for...

Time for more conference calls
So there must be a revision AA aswell wink
damn boy, you were such a guinie pig!
i think i missed it by 5 months.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Killershark68-

For what you are doing, there should be no difference in pistions. The 2.0L and 1.8L use the same pistions. (had thought they used different pistions, but I was wrong).

The difference so far appears to be in the crank throw. So, if you run a 1.8L crank in a 1.8L block...no worries. If you run a 2.0L crank in a 2.0L block, no worries. The the only problem comes in if you try to run a 1.8L crank in a 2.0L block, you will need to get longer rods made. Just how longer I don't know yet. I've got to figure that out after I take a slew of measurements.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:35 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Tiburon

Alright, thats exactly myb setup. I am using a 1.8 crank in a 2.0 block. So I will be waiting to hear back from ya help
Old 04-04-2003, 07:45 AM

Random, I emailed Chris and this is his reply so no worries:

Josiah -

I have not seen Random's post as yet --?? Send me the link please.

Regarding the pistons, they have been machined already ---- and done
according to the 1.8 piston dimensions (identical to the 2.0 anyway), so it
actually does not matter at all about the block length as long as you are
running the same rods, and crank you won't have a problem at all. In fact
the rods from the 1.8 and 2.0 are identical, and so are the pistons, the
only difference is the crank as the engine has a shorter stroke.

The blocks are the same ---- that extra 11mm is not in the cylinder itself
where the piston runs .... But it is the actual outside of the block that
measures taller as far as I can remember.

If Random finds out anything otherwise - please let me know.

I am stripping a 1.8 block at the moment and I will take pictures of the
strip including pistons (the same as the 2.0) and the Rods which I will lie
next to a standard 2.0 rod to show they are also the same, and then the
crank.

Hope this helps,

Chris
Old 04-05-2003, 02:49 AM

mmmhhh....

I wonder why I even bother to give out information sometimes.... I regret to say:-

"I TOLD YOU SO!!!" eek! eek! beat_dow beat_dow

Why don't people listen when I speak, is it maybe because us S.africans are actually alot more clued up than most people think.... we DON'T LIVE IN THE %^&*ing bush anymore you know!!!

Here are the FACTS - That I have checked and tested myself!

2.0 litre Specs

82mm bore - SAME PISTON AS THE 1.8
SAME CON-ROD AS THE 1.8
DIFFERENT CRANK THROW to 1.8

1.8 Litre Specs

82mm bore - SAME PISTON AS THE 2.0
SAME CON-ROD AS THE 2.0
DIFFERENT CRANK THROW to 2.0

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE CRANKSHAFT ----

The block WILL be a different height OBVIOUSLY to accomodate the crank LOBE throw difference.

The HEADS ARE IDENTICAL - Measure the combustion chambers with a burrette as I did and you will confirm that the combustion chamber is exactly the same - probably why they stamp "1.8/2.0" on every single 1.8 and 2.0 head... duurrrr!!

If you want any other information, and since I have PLENTY of these engines to my disposal and in my shop, I mean I only work on these engines every day of my life and turbocharged more of these engines than there are turbocharged
BETA owners on this forum ... ! - feel free to mail me or post on the CNK forum... I will help you out where-ever I possibly can.

Rob --- DON'T listen to anyone else, your pistons will fit the bore and be according to the compression ratio I made them to WITHOUT any problems. If you have a doubt - ask me and I will explain and help you out with the greatest of pleasure!

Josiah, Your running the crank in a different block ... The 1.8 crank has a shorter throw than the 2.0 and so this will defintely work in the 2.0 block as the lobes will definitely pass the piston skirts at BDC/BTDC aswell as the oil pickup and oil pan! - BUT the deck height will be different as the block itself is longer so the piston does not reach the top of the bore at TDC. When I say that the block is longer - it is ONTOP where TDC is - NOT where the crank runs - I hope I remember this correctly.

If this is the case - then your deck height WILL be different - FIRST check this before accepting this as cast in concrete. If it is 8.5mm lower in the bore at TDC then you have a problem.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:51 AM

ENough said bow_down bow_down bow_down
Old 04-05-2003, 07:13 AM

Alright, the 1.8 crank can work. Yeah I'm happy, but what do I need to do if the piston doesn't reach TDC of bore? Does the pistons have to reach TDC?

I will try to check this, or if Random could check that would be better, cause I'm a newbie at this. But I will piece the engine back together and see if it is 8.5mm shy from TDC.

But I have to ask,... how could I have a problem if it is 8.5mm lower in the bore? What can resolve the problem?
I will take pix and stuff soon.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:22 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

Chris, have you ever tried dismantled a 1.6 Beta? So, what is the diff. between this and the others?
Old 04-06-2003, 03:46 AM

Killer ---

The problem you will have if the piston does not have a 0mm deck height (reachs the very top of the bore when at TDC) is that you will have no compression ... engine won't run.

Random any news as yet?

Lantraluvr --- I have a few 1.6 blocks lying around, I will check the differences as soon as I have time... (when oh when will this be?) suicide
Old 04-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Chris(CNK)- Just check the casting on the 1.6L and the block height. The 1.6L shares stroke with the 1.8L, but has a smaller bore. I'd be interested to see if Hyundai used a seperate, smaller block for the smaller bore of the 1.6L, or if they used the 1.8L "small block".