Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutch Pedal

Old 04-14-2006, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

anyone ever removed the sensor that allows the car to start on a manual transmission tiburon? Usually you have to press the clutch in to engage the starter but some people I know have removed that sensor and they can crank it without the clutch (so long the car is in neutral).

I've heard sometimes removing the switch will not allow the car to start at all (mostly newer vehicles), but I want to do this since I'm never going to be leaving my car in gear anyway (turbo timer)...

Anyone done it successfully on a tiburon? If not, I'm sure you could just tape the switch down so the car thinks the clutch is always in. But I have no idea what the switch looks like, I"ve spent little time underneath the steering column...

smile.gif
Old 04-14-2006, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

It's right under the clutch pedal. If you look up the shaft you'll see it.

Depress the clutch and see where it makes contact, I know i've seen it before.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:05 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

It's actually the opposite of what you think, the car knows when the pedal is NOT depressed, rather than when it IS depressed.
Push down on the pedal with your hand, then let it up and keep your hand in the way. You will feel a little button when the pedal is in its normal position (not depressed).

edit Wait, I just thought about it again...if you keep the button always pressed in (the car thinks clutch is NOT engaged) then you won't be able to start the car. So in order to do this all you should have to do is move the switch a few inches to the left or right so the pedal never hits it (the car will think the clutch is always in). When I got my tib this switch was actually not positioned right, and I drove it for months with no problems..only thing is that you will lose your cruise control (although I know you won't care).

double edit I thought about it again and this isn't related to starting the car, because my car could only be started if the clutch was in, even if the switch was open.....maybe there's two switches, one for when the pedal is depressed, and one for when it's not..maybe you should check behind the clutch pedal for the switch you're talking about.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:07 PM

cruise control is for hasselhoffs...
Old 04-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Do hasselhoffs spend a lot of time driving on the interstate?

I wouldn't remove it, that's an accident waiting to happen. And there's absolutely no need, even mediocre turbo timers can be wired to function properly and still be safe.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:01 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX

you can just unplugg the harness if you want to bypass the clutch switch on our cars. It's your call if you want to or not, I did.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:12 PM

where's the harness to unplug? under the steering column?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: 98 hyundai tiburon

when i did mine i just cut the wires to the plug then sliced the wires to the harness together. i did it for remote start. it works fine.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you guys need to read my progress thread and look for "magnetic reed switch". wink1.gif

n00bs joke.gif lmao.gif
Old 04-14-2006, 11:37 PM

or you could enlighten my lasy ass in THIS thread...

lmao.gif

nana.gif