Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cel Strobe Light

Old 05-05-2005, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i have tracked them down. there's another solenoid. so there's two solenoids.

oh boy this is a POS.

I can connect all three wires from the first solenoid together using a female pipe connector which is underneath the fender.

bBUT that leaves me with the other two small ones coming out of the fuel tank. they lead up right next to the battery tray. these two are not underneath the fender. they are in open view next to the battery tray. they lead to a second solenoid that is located in the wiper motor area. that goes directly into the fuel tank.

there are 3 wires, plus the two extension hoses from the solenoid underneath the headlight. if i wire them all together, i'm left with two which are not hooked up to anything.

...i knew i should have gotten the 1.8L '99. i don't know what the hell this is. if both of the solenoids are plugged in, i must be getting a CEL because the tank isn't pressurized right. that could only mean that the hoses are hooked up wrong. both of the solenoids are working and they are both plugged in. i have not re-wired or cut any electrical wiring.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The other 2 hoses are prolly just breather tubes.

Post some pics.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:21 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

HKC, I don't know why you're making your life so difficult mate! Just remove the thing!!

I did it a lil' while back before I could do my CAI & unless the Oz spec evap cannister is drastically different you can just vent the fuel tank line wherever you like (mine is currently just venting into the engine bay) but I would suggest you do what Col did & vent it into your intake piping or something.

The other tube can simply be blocked off (I just put a suitably sized bolt in the end of it & put a small hose clamp on it to hold it in place tightly). As for the other lines you've got... I'm stumped!? If it's just the hard plastic tube that was venting the cannister you can disregard it.

I did this a while ago now (Evap issues) & I've never had a CEL or any issues with timing or anything.

Hope it all works out for you!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:03 PM

oh man, yeah that's why Automatics suck. if i had a 5-speed it would not have been connected or anything.

hmm.. well. i have hooked it back up. the next time i get a CEL, i'm going to run the hoses together. the other two hoses i don't know what i'm to do with. i don't want to drill my CAI just for that. i'm out of options there.

I had removed the cannister previously only to find out there was no acceleration caused by the gear to studder as if it was going crazy. but when i attached the cannister back, everything was fine only after 200 miles the CEL would come on and the car would be slow again.

it's bizarre folks. lol! if i connect all three hoses together, i'm wondering if the fuel tank will still be pressurized. and if it is, will the computer read it right.

see, every tiburon has these, just you lucky ones have them somewhere you will never see them.

if this doesn't work (which, after 6 months hasn't worked already) then i will run the hoses all together and see what happens. chances are the computer will read it wrong and the same thing will happen. it'll be a week. i hate experiments lol.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:39 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

Well i'll give you my thought. I removed the canister and plugged all of them together like the one in hp.com. i had the intake since september and No CEL what so ever. I have a Auto 1.8 and everything seems fine, besides the fact that my car splutters sometimes at a stop light, and downshift at very low rpm. Not sure if that is caused by the intake or the caniister.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:56 PM

I didn't want to pollute the DIY threads. Since spring is coming and the car will be frequently used for school, I wanted to check with you guys and make sure everything is connected right. Does this look right?

Currently, the evap canister is relocated. After driving about 20 miles, or whenever I open the gas cap, it sucks in air. It is overpressurized. Could this be the result of a leak?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'll see if I can't get a shot of what the wife's looks like on the RD1. Yours looks wrong for some reason.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:11 PM

Thanks buddy, you've helped me a lot on this.

Oh and by the way, with this setup there's three tubes total connecting to the Evap cannister in the engine bay. Only one of those fuel lines from the solenoid comes up to it. The other two are Purge 1 and 2 from beside the battery. That makes three total.

Stupid picture it's hard to tell, but the black thing that looks like a fuel line next to the blue thing is not even a fuel line, it's the bracket for AEM, so discard that. On the very bottom, that's the tube that goes into the fuel, connected to the black filter, conected to the bottom of the solenoid.

The side of the solenoid is connected to the blue thing which is connected to the evap cannister upstairs.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:18 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Dude, I don't get it.
If you do everything exactly like they did in the HP DIY, you won't have any problems.
My only suggestion is to quadruple check your work, obviously you didn't do it right. There's PLENTY of us who have done that DIY (myself included) and had NO problems.

Yours should look like that

BTW, there is one super long hard-plastic hose which goes into the frame, it's nothing but an atmosphere release. It does not go back to the tank

This thing took me like a half hour, how can it be so difficult for you???
Old 03-06-2006, 03:37 PM

Zoned, you did this on your automatic? On the automatic there's a huge problem because the evap is directly associated with the computer. Say if you plug up everything together, the computer will get angry and malfunction and the tank won't be pressurized right. My car sucks ballz guys. You posted the "wire altogether" bit right?

But I have noticed one thing, is that the way it's wired up right now, most of the time the car is performing. Definitely better than it was back when I had the evap cannister removed. But when I unplug the gas cap, it definitely sucks in a lot of air!! It's definitely running lean.

I don't know if I'm just stupid or something, but I used rd1tib's DIY and everything is according to his DIY. I must be stupid. But I ask for your help again, and I'm so sorry to bring this crap up again. I really am. I just want my brand new CAI in there and have the mudguard and splash shields put back in once and for all. What I need is a bedtime story on this.

REDZ I think your wifes car has the wired together DIY, but not the relocation. I got both the tubes from battery tray running to the evap cannister. No leaks. There might be one leak from the black box though. Could a small leak cause the whole thing to malfunction??

The bottom connection is the only thing I'm worried about. I would also like to add that the solenoid valve is working. I hear it even now, just not too often.