Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

BETA 1 and 2 Coil on Plug Mod

Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I tried them before the Chrysler coils. I found low RPM stutter and high RPM pre-detonation. The Chrysler coil method is used on many Hondas and accepted as a viable COP mod for many Honda enthusiasts. I made a COP mod in 2008 for my Integra, although a stand alone ignition controller was used.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

If you saw a performance gain in a factory performance motor, then it was because your plug wires were old and had resistance, or your factory coils were shot. There is no benefit to this over a good set of factory wires and coils on a mildly modded motor.

This is only for turbo applications where you get spark blow-out.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

One would think that reducing the gap slightly should resolve any blowout.

The coilpack mod sounds nice, but it seems like a lot of backyard engineering and more possibility of failure. Unless someone actually did the research and located the correct coils to match with the ecu, it seems like a ton of hassle with little benefit. But I am still intrigued.

Jon, are to coils in your kit spliced like the ones on page 1?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001tampon

simpler solution less hasle

standard cooper core plugs wires with external grounds

[b]CDI BOX comes with insructions example > DIS2

Old 10-22-2014, 12:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001tampon

Originally Posted by Tibbi
One would think that reducing the gap slightly should resolve any blowout.

The coilpack mod sounds nice, but it seems like a lot of backyard engineering and more possibility of failure. Unless someone actually did the research and located the correct coils to match with the ecu, it seems like a ton of hassle with little benefit. But I am still intrigued.

Jon, are to coils in your kit spliced like the ones on page 1?

reduceing gap decreseases burn eficiency increaseing gap causes a hotter more effiencient spark thus creating a more stable compression stroke if you put a more powerful ignition on your car the gap should be increased to .50/.53

when changing plugs if youve ever wounderd why ngk IX's arent as good as the old ones that got taken out its because your car has adapted to the increase in gap from driving duration tighter gaps on plugs is like running 87 gas compared to 91/94
Old 10-22-2014, 12:54 PM

Sorry but I always have brand new, high end plug wires and plugs. Also, there is the case of several different stock coil packs used all which were new.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by turbo4tampon
reduceing gap decreseases burn eficiency increaseing gap causes a hotter more effiencient spark thus creating a more stable compression stroke if you put a more powerful ignition on your car the gap should be increased to .50/.53

when changing plugs if youve ever wounderd why ngk IX's arent as good as the old ones that got taken out its because your car has adapted to the increase in gap from driving duration tighter gaps on plugs is like running 87 gas compared to 91/94

Not so fast, in a FI application where you do not have a more powerful ignition on hand, decreasing gap will help solve blowout. It's a known fact. Yes, increasing ignition spark using more powerful coils or ignition will allow you to use a larger gap. But if you currently are experiencing blowout and have good coils and wires, fresh plugs, then decreasing gap will help alleviate the problem.

Also, your analogy comparing octane of fuel is incorrect as well. If your engine is tuned for 87, using 91 or 94 will not yield more power. In fact the opposite could occur, AND your wallet will surely be lighter in the end, which I suppose could improve your power to weight ratio if you carry and pay in pennies...

JonGTR, I'll take em. Pm me your paypal.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Originally Posted by XTC29
I have no other mods on this engine right now other than the 1.8l cam and inter cooler from a Mercedes-Benz C230 kompressor and it definitely upped the performance.

An intercooler on an n/a engine?
Old 10-23-2014, 05:56 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

http://bit.ly/1wqUm8G

Old 10-23-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tibbi
Yes this is all in preparation for An Eaton m62 supercharger. Not so gay..... unless you mean happy! But yes it's there.

20141022_121735.jpg

At this time it is just run to the stock air cleaner assembly. It will be direct plumbed as soon as the brackets for the SC are finished. They should be done by mid next week. Yes for now its just an interFOOLER... LOL! I liked your link, it made me laugh!

This seems to upset people here. Why is that? Maybe I'm wrong.