Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

BETA 1 and 2 Coil on Plug Mod

Old 10-20-2014, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default BETA 1 and 2 Coil on Plug Mod

For any who are interested in a "Plug and play Coil" on plug ignition system I have finished and now have a running coil on plug setup. This does not use an external stand alone ignition module.

Parts:

4 - Delphi 17484- 05168914 ignition coils for 1999-2004 Chrysler 3.2l - 3.5l v6. - (junk yard)

2 - BWD - Hyundai Capacitor/ignition capacitor Part Number: G309 UPC: 707390563596 - (O'Riellys)

4 - Stock Wire boots (Floppy type not hard plastic) - Cut between elbow and top of boot - (junk yard)

4 - Ignition coil springs/leads Chrysler 3.2l - 3.5l - (junk yard)

These are two wire coils wired up in waste spark configuration. To get sequential ignition a stand alone ignition module or aftermarket engine management system would have to be used. At first when wiring the loom I did not install a condenser/capacitor to the 12V rail feeding the coils. This resulted in poor throttle response and high RPM loss of power/stuttering. To get the proper power to the coils 2 ignition capacitors were spliced in to the 12V rail (one was not enough.)

Throttle response has greatly increased and power has increased across the upper rpm range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20141017_123626.jpg (1.32 MB, 52 views)
20141017_123646.jpg (1.37 MB, 44 views)
20141017_130951.jpg (1.13 MB, 36 views)
Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 AM

Cut boot here

20141020_082842.jpg

Cut plug connector and crimp in the spring.

20141020_084132.jpg

Press on cut boot

20141020_084204.jpg

Slide in lead (make sure lead touches the coil terminal)

20141020_084148.jpg
Old 10-20-2014, 07:49 AM

Wiring is a bit more difficult and I will upload pics as soon as possible. Right now I'm going for a drive!!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I believe I stated in my previous posts that I used the same Chrysler coils you just did, but went with the Toyotas because I now have a standalone with dwell adjustment. However, just because the Chrysler coils fire up on the factory ECU, doesn't mean they won't burn out in a month, or 6. Do you know the dwell settings for these coils? Are they appropriately matched to the factory ECU settings? Most likely NOT. That's why I stated you should really have an aftermarket ECU for this. Until you can verify true compatibility, I wouldn't go around stating it's "plug-n-play".
Old 10-21-2014, 07:24 AM

JonGTR ... I have been running these exact same coils now for over 18 months. The original loom I made was crap so I pulled it off for a while and used the beta 2 coil pack and the beta 1 coil pack back and forth for the last 6 weeks. I have searched over and over, for more on your comments about the coil on plug mod using Toyota coils. I found you on newtiburon.com but there was no mention of the reason why you ditched the 300 coils. I have fabricated a system just like the one you describe. At this time I do not have a stand alone ignition controller to make use of them yet. So I went back to my tried and trusted PLUG AND PLAY COP setup. This time I made a better loom. I made a call to Delphi and BWD to get the spec sheets for the two coils. Hopefully they will get back to me soon. As for the dwell I don't really know right now, all I know is they work consistently well. I would like to know where you got your information on the specs... is this something you still have, or will you point me in the right direction? Much respect to you and your badass ride!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:35 AM

I don't have the specs on the Chrysler coils, but there was far more information on the Toyotas and they didn't require an external ignitor for my standalone. Plus, they were newer, had specs on the web, used on more motors, cheaper, better looking, and were more abundant. So I went that direction.

I made a custom chrysler coil plate for the beta back in 2007, but never found specs for the coils or the ECU timing and didn't want to risk burning out the coils and having a ticking time bomb as a daily driver. So I put that project on hold.

You need to find the specs on the coils and the Beta ECU to ensure they match.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:48 AM

Gotcha! Well, so far so good on using these for a while now. I will keep looking for answers though. Delphi contacted me back a few minutes ago and I haven't checked yet. Still waiting on BWD and Hyundai. Hopefully this will get resolved and we can either put this to rest or verify the Mod. To me I don't really care as they have work for long time and much better than the original coil pack. You know what? I bet the dwell is why I had to put in another Capacitor in line. Could it be that they just wouldn't charge fast enough?! I have a feeling it is so but I could be wrong. By the way do you still have the mount plate from that old setup you showed? I could fab one, if you do I would like to get my hands on it if you don't need it anymore.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:14 AM

You need to ensure the dwell setting match. Too much and the coils burn out. Too little and they wont charge. Either way, right now you have one of the two situations going on.

I still have the plate and the DWG file. Wanna buy it?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:34 AM

It is possible ... how much?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:22 AM

Hyundai Stated that the Stock ECU has adaptive dwell control that maintains peak energy throughout the entire RPM range, reducing misfires while improving engine performance. I am not sure of this as I cant find specs or data sheet. It would make sense though, if it is true. The Chrysler coils are 1.8ms Dwell and the stock 2.0l hyundai coil pack is 1.6 ms Dwell (according to hyundai service in Longview, Tx.) I put in a call to a friend down in New Orleans who deals with aftermarket ignition systems to ask why when I added another capacitor/condenser it took care of the upper rpm stuttering and loss of power. He said that it was a power drain issue that the coils could not charge fully at higher rpm and needed more power to do so. By adding the extra condenser/capacitor it gave enough power to fully charge. Now he is going to figure out if the capacitor array is too much. If it the coils will eventually burn out.