Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Bbtb Help

Old 09-24-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 65mm sharkracing BBTB. the question is when i put on the BBTB i idle at 1900-2000rpm an when i rev the motor my rpms come down pretty slow. At first i thought it was my TPS go i bought a new one, but it still idels at that rpm. Does anybody have an idea what the problem is. I've adjusted my cable so the pedle feels good. So im at a loss, do you think my BBTB is the problem??
Old 09-24-2006, 06:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

adjust the idle?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yup.

Also, the 65MM that they sell has a huge hole in the flange that causes a rediculous vaccum leak. I saw it at Nopi.

You running it on a airram or what?

Adjust the cables first to give them plenty of slack, then reset your ECU (pull the fuze box cover off in the engine bay and pull up on the big white/yellow bar that says "POWER CONNECTOR", then turn the ignition to ON, then reverse the previous steps.).

It'll run fine, then just adjust your cables and idle adustment screw.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:45 PM

I tried to adjust the idle screw. at first i adjusted the screw going in an the rpms shot up! so then i backed if off till it was not even touching. an still my rpms are not at nomal. so i reset the ecu first then do the adjusting? I was planing in gettin a airram but you cant buy them anymore 02.gif so ill just wait for someone to make them or just get a custom one done. Can you plug the hole near the flange?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Reset the ECU.

Do that FIRST. Then adjust the THROTTLE AND CRUISE cables. Not at the idle screw, but where the cables go through the bracket before the BBTB.

There's even a DIY posted on this.

As for the hole, you probably could do it with some JB weld, or something similar. You DID put a gasket in place right?

So you are running a 65MM BBTB on the stock Intake Manifold? That's just begging for problems unless you bore the manifold man.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:04 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Guys, I'm pretty sure if there was a leak, he would either be idling extremely low or not at all. His problem is he idles too high.

What kind of TPS do you have?

Is it mounted properly? I've seen SR BBTBs where you have to put the TPS on slightly cockeyed for it to read correctly.

I'm gonna bet 99% that your problem is one of three things..
1) You need to adjust the idle via the idle adjustment screw on the TB
2) You need to adjust the cruise/throttle CABLES. Between the IM and the firewall, there's 2 cables held in a bracket with 2 nuts on each side, the bracket is attached to the backside of the IM.
3) Bad TPS
Old 09-24-2006, 07:05 PM

Thanks. I know i have to match port but i was hoping in getting a better manifold. An i did put the gasket in. So if im running a stock manifold size it wont work for now untill i port out the manifold??
Old 09-24-2006, 07:06 PM

Do you have a CEL? That will tell you right there what the problem is..There is a CEL code for too high of an idle. If you have this code, then it's going to be problems 1 or 3, otherwise if you have no CEL, then it is nothing more than just adjusting your cables.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:24 PM

My tps is fine, it works fine on my stock TB. How would you put your tps on cockeyed when the screw holes wouldn't line up then? An no I have no cel
Old 09-24-2006, 07:33 PM

If you have no CEL, then freakin adjust your cables!

Also, you have a tolerance of 1-2mm, after all, the holes on the TPS are larger than the screws going through them aren't they? tongue.gif