Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

2001 Tib Sputter

Old 05-23-2005, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But also because the car reminds my fiance of the accident and she doesn't like riding in the car. Even If I paint it the car is still a red sports car at heart. Plus I don't really have any money to spend on the car at the moment and I don't think the sputter is good for the engine, im still paying on the tib right now. I like the 05 tibs but they are not in my price range. Elantra's are more of a family car to me and I don't like the 4 doors, We don't have to many good dealerships/cars her in wenatchee. My fiance drives an 05 scion tc coupe. Im looking at 14k and under for a price. Normally I would not trade in a car under these circumstances I would put the money into it and fix it.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

check sensors (throttle position, maf), and sensors connections.

I don't think crack on exhaust manifold will cause it.

Also check your injectors. They can spray bad, and gas burn worse.
But on hot engine gas will evaporate faster so you will not feel problem (on hot engine).
Old 05-24-2005, 09:05 AM

Well I replaced the spark plug wires last night and so far it seems to have fixed it. I let the car warm up a little this morning but it still should have sputtered, so far none yet, The true test will be on my lunch break today. I thought it was the TPS but that didn't explain why it worked when it warmed up. Plug wires still don't make sense to me, I'm still just learning all of this stuff.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:52 AM

actually, yes it makes perfect sense. If it is slightly damp and your plug wires were bad, they would be arcing to the engine instead of the plugs. Once the car is warmed up, most of the moisture on the wires would have been burned off by the heat.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:35 PM

Ok another update, The plug wires kinda helped, the sputter is still there, but it has gotten better. Hopefully when I get the exhaust leak fixed that will take care of it. I will try to take the tps apart and clean it, Its a pain in the @ss to get the screws out though, the ignition box is right in the way. Do I just pull it off and spray it with carp cleaner or starter fluid?
Old 05-24-2005, 03:39 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I took it off and sprayed starter fluid inside it while turning the white sprocket. As far as I am concerned that is what fixed my sputter and I had almost the same exact symptoms you have.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:46 PM

Thanks, I will get some starter fluid tonight, then the next task, I don't have a screw driver short or long enough to get the screws off.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:23 PM

Well, there is an end to the sputter, no starter fluid but I got some throttle body cleaner and sprayed the TPS and the butterfly valve. So far I replaced the plugs, wires and cleaned the TPS. Sputter is now officially gone. Cold, hot, it runs like a dream now. Thanks all. Now on to the clutch...
Old 05-25-2005, 07:04 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

glad you got fixed it
Old 05-25-2005, 07:44 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

QUOTE (BatFasturd @ May 24 2005, 10:23 PM)
Well, there is an end to the sputter, no starter fluid but I got some throttle body cleaner and sprayed the TPS and the butterfly valve. So far I replaced the plugs, wires and cleaned the TPS. Sputter is now officially gone. Cold, hot, it runs like a dream now. Thanks all. Now on to the clutch...

Sounds like what I did. I replace the coil, plugs, wires, and then cleaned the TPS. Problem didn't go away until I cleaned the TPS. It's always the last thing you do that fixes the problem. Didn't you know that? wink1.gif