DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Weight Reduction

Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

LMAO what are you talking about?!?! have you ever taken off your hood? if so have you ever held a CF hood?

our stock hood is mad heavy, go and lift up a stock mustang hood (FG). its like a feather and 1.5x as long

Stock hood is somewhere between 40 and 45lbs man.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:26 PM

if i hadnt handled the stock hood, i wouldnt have said it, common sense......

i can easily handle removing, and reinstalling the stocker by myself. and im a small guy. i guess im just stronger then i thought. cause its definitly not even a struggle to carry around on your own. my probe hood takes two people to handle, and is probably close to twice the weight of the tib hood. that one i would say is quite heavy
Old 10-12-2006, 01:26 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

once you hold a CF tib hood you realize how heavy the stocker is.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Stock hood weight has been on the list for a while now.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:56 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xxxmonoxidechild @ Oct 12 2006, 03:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>our stock hood is hella light, i didnt even know it weighed 20 pounds total...</div>

exactly what i was gonna say...i can easily carry it with one hand besides if your spending hundreds of dollars to save 20 lbs you should just lay off the double whoppers for a while
Old 10-12-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xxxmonoxidechild @ Oct 11 2006, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>^^

our stock hood is hella light, i didnt even know it weighed 20 pounds total...</div>
Who said it weighed 20lbs???

2-3 people have weighed it and it came to around 40-45lbs.
Throw on a CF hood and you save about 30lbs.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

faith, this thread is about weight reduction, spending money to save weight is part of the thread. It doesnt matter if you can lift the hood up easily, the point is that your cutting the weight a little more than HALF. If you havent felt the differance between a stock hood and CF hood then dont talk, because of course you think the stock hood is light when you havent felt something the same shape and size, that is more than half the weight.

OH, and if you look in the weight reduction list, putting your self on a diet <u>IS</u> on there.

AND im 182lbs and around 6% body fat, so unless i starve myself to lose the muscle i have, dieting isnt going to help.

Cmon guys, no more OT posts about how light you THINK the stock hood is....
Old 12-28-2006, 08:28 AM

I just needed to subscribe to this thread.

I removed about 200 lbs. from my Probe GT track car I just sold. Doesn't sound like much but the car looked pretty much stock when looking at the extreior (except the wheels & big brakes front & rear), interior, and hatch area. Even the engine bay looked pretty stock. I kept all power/factory options functional including seats (power movement, lumbar, and bolster supports). Just what I like I guess.
I started doing some weight reduction on my wifes 2000 Tiburon, but everything is really lightweight/cheap from Hyundai, so it is hard to shave serious weight off the RD2.
My 2000 Tib is bone stock so I'll be sure to get weights for any & all items removed. I'll also be sure to get stock parts vs. lightweight parts for everything that is changed out.

I'd say $560.00 shipped for a carbon fiber hood is a pretty good deal as other then the spare tire, jack, and such it's about the most weight reduction that can be had for one item. Especially one without any sacrifices.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:43 AM

also... i would never do any of this stuff if you plan on ever selling your tiburon. most people use our cars for daily drivers that are easy on gas, youre not too likely to sell your hyundai to another die hard racing fan who doesnt mind having no power steering or carpeting and a lot of road noise lol. i dont plan on selling my car ever, but yet i still take my time removing all these parts correctly and storing them in my garage because you never know when you might need them back in. wink1.gif
Old 04-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

thought id add something i came across today. the glove compartment has a metal frame on the inside weighing a couple pounds. im sure removing the whole thing is on the list but if you want to keep the glove box you can take out that frame or whatever.